Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Dec 15, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #5,281 of 6,746
But not so fast! I tried a Matrix X-SPDIF 2 which I took from another system which does have optical output, and tried it with a cheapie optical cable. Yes, optical sounds better with the Qutest than coax from either the Matrix or the Singxer, and quite noticeably so.

Any current recommendations for optical cables?

Audio-Technica AT-SDP2000

Otherwise Airbow, Ortofon or Saec, all got proper glass optical cables.

Dec 15, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #5,282 of 6,746
I went through your earlier comments and saw you recommend Optical over Coax.
I am currently using Airport Express to send signal via Optical into my 2Qute. Since I am unsure if using Airport is a good way, I initially thought to get a USB–Coax converter like Aurorasound. However since you say Optical is preferred over Coax, I would rather stay where I am or get USB to Optical converter.

Staying optical if at all possible is a very good approach. There is something else to be wary of here - the Airport Express is a wireless router, which by its very nature sprays out as much RFI as it can through the air in order to work. Airborne RFI is something you should keep away from the audio system as much as possible. It even mentions this in the manual for some Chord components. So a longer optical cable would help this, noting that some optical cables will work up to 24-192, some will only work up to 24-96. Search the forums here for what brands people have success with.

There is also something in the back of my mind about the Airport optical out that you should check on. I have a vague memory that it only supports up to 16bit 48khz. It may even downsample (bad) higher res files to this data rate. Fine if all all you are dealing with is 16bit audio but compromised if you play higher resolution.

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #5,283 of 6,746
Staying optical if at all possible is a very good approach. There is something else to be wary of here - the Airport Express is a wireless router, which by its very nature sprays out as much RFI as it can through the air in order to work. Airborne RFI is something you should keep away from the audio system as much as possible. It even mentions this in the manual for some Chord components. So a longer optical cable would help this, noting that some optical cables will work up to 24-192, some will only work up to 24-96. Search the forums here for what brands people have success with.
There is also something in the back of my mind about the Airport optical out that you should check on. I have a vague memory that it only supports up to 16bit 48khz. It may even downsample (bad) higher res files to this data rate. Fine if all all you are dealing with is 16bit audio but compromised if you play higher resolution.

Thank you. I think you are right about 16 bit, but that works for me. Music I listen to is not available in high-res anyway.

I am considering getting Matrix SPDIF converter to bypass a need for Wi-Fi. Will buy it if come across a used one. Topping and Gustard measurements aren't inspiring.

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #5,284 of 6,746
Question for Qutest users: is there a USB cable you would recommend that can be purchased with a 6” or thereabouts length?
My Qutest arrives tomorrow, and since it will be located next to my MacBook Air (repurposed as a server), I’d like a short USB cable with audiophile pretensions.

AIM ShieldIO USB

Dec 18, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #5,285 of 6,746
Absolutely agree. Tried 2qute which have same galvanic isolation as Qutest with simple usb cable then with Wireworld Starlight 7 usb then Wireworld + Ifi nano usb 3.0
2qute with simple usb cable is no comparison to Ifi nano usb 3.0 + Wireworld Starlight 7... With just simple cable it sound much less 3rd, much more fatiguing, less lively, less extension in bass and highs. I would imagine Just how much more it can improve with Sotm Usb Ultra...
Anyone who think that any chord dac is immune to usb problems is delusional... Better use Optical if you want to save money.

I actually wonder why many prefer taking so much pains with USB as opposed to simply using Optical that has zero electrical noise problems.

Dec 18, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #5,286 of 6,746
I actually wonder why many prefer taking so much pains with USB as opposed to simply using Optical that has zero electrical noise problems.
Because a lot of DACs are not immune to the jitter levels that come from poor optical sources.

In the case of Chord DACs, the performance on optical input is exceptionally good.

You will need some treatment of your USB feed to match it. The Qutest has galvanic isolation so that is part of the battle sorted but devices like the iUSB3.0 or iPurifier3 can still help if you are using a PC/laptop/phone/DAP.

Dec 18, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #5,288 of 6,746
I just bought this DAC. It’ll be here next Tuesday. I am currently running an Audio-gd R7 but it’s too big for where I’m going to be living soon. My concern is USB noise. My R7 is quiet. My Modi MB is noisy as heck! So is my Red Dragonfly. My Fostex HP-A3 was quiet. Not sure why this was the case. Any issues with USB being noisy out of a PC with the Qutest?

Dec 21, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #5,289 of 6,746
I just bought this DAC. It’ll be here next Tuesday. I am currently running an Audio-gd R7 but it’s too big for where I’m going to be living soon. My concern is USB noise. My R7 is quiet. My Modi MB is noisy as heck! So is my Red Dragonfly. My Fostex HP-A3 was quiet. Not sure why this was the case. Any issues with USB being noisy out of a PC with the Qutest?

Well the Red and Mimby aren't galvanically isolated, the Qutest is. So at the very least the noise should be considerably lower. And you can also try an ifi iSilencer in case there is noise.

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #5,290 of 6,746
Hello, I have a Chord Qutest DAC and a Fiio M11 Pro, I would like to know if I can use a DUAL BNC cable with jack to benefit from 768kHz.
The cable is the one in the picture below.
Thank you.

Attachments

• dual-bnc.jpg
    dual-bnc.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 0
Dec 22, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #5,291 of 6,746
Hello, I have a Chord Qutest DAC and a Fiio M11 Pro, I would like to know if I can use a DUAL BNC cable with jack to benefit from 768kHz.
The cable is the one in the picture below.
Thank you.
Does the M11 Pro have twin coaxial outputs that function as one at 768kHz?

(I don't think so)

Dec 22, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #5,295 of 6,746
Pontus is #1
Ares II and the Qutest are said to be really close.
All the above have an organic sound, not stringent like Sigma Delta can give you.

it all comes down to personal preference but I did not like the Ares 2 at all compared to the qutest when a friend brought his round to try in my system. He sold the Ares a couple of weeks after he heard the comparison but I still have my Qutest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back