Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 3, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #2,776 of 6,743
You can open you Qutest and see what is going on inside.
Maybe your contact plate jumped out of its place (like it was happen in my case).

Would you be able to gently pull it back with some tweezers through the opening of the connector without opening the device ?

Jan 3, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #2,777 of 6,743
Would you be able to gently pull it back with some tweezers through the opening of the connector without opening the device ?
No, it looks impossible to fix from outside.
But it is not problem to open Qutest. you need just to unscrew 6 screws. It very easy to do and it is very easy to assembly it back.
You don't have to be a "handy man".

Jan 5, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #2,779 of 6,743
Need some advice about digital transport for Qutest, please.

Right now I`m using my Qutest via USB from MacBook Pro. Sounds good, although I constantly saw different people saying coaxial would sound better. Want to give it a try.

My first plan was to buy ALLO DigiOne Signature and set up Roon core at my laptop and Roon endpoint at ALLO. But than I saw ALLO`s specs and found out that it`s coaxial output is limited to 24/192. I have some beautiful recordings in DXD (24/352,8) from nativedsd.com and 24/192 isn`t enough. Qutest manual says that it would accept up to 32/384 via coax, but I can`t find any transport that would be capable of streaming more than 24/192 via coaxial output. Various USB to S/PDIF converters also are limited to 24/192.

Any ideas for hi-res coaxial transport?

Jan 5, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #2,781 of 6,743
Jan 5, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #2,782 of 6,743

Right now I`m using my Qutest via USB from MacBook Pro. Sounds good, although I constantly saw different people saying coaxial would sound better. Want to give it a try.

My first plan was to buy ALLO DigiOne Signature and set up Roon core at my laptop and Roon endpoint at ALLO. But than I saw ALLO`s specs and found out that it`s coaxial output is limited to 24/192. I have some beautiful recordings in DXD (24/352,8) from nativedsd.com and 24/192 isn`t enough. Qutest manual says that it would accept up to 32/384 via coax, but I can`t find any transport that would be capable of streaming more than 24/192 via coaxial output. Various USB to S/PDIF converters also are limited to 24/192.

24/192 is the upper limit for the S/PDIF standard, so anything transmitting above this is a bespoke implementation.

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #2,783 of 6,743
I used Qutest and 2qute with RCA connectors made by:
Duelund, Switchcraft, Xhadow, Acrotec, MS Audio, Vampire without any issue.
But I'm agreed, for such not cheap device it is possible to use better RCA connectors than these cheap PCB mounted connectors.
How does they sounds comparing to each other? Qutest vs. 2Qute?

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #2,785 of 6,743
How does they sounds comparing to each other? Qutest vs. 2Qute?
I use 2qute on my work now.
I didn't compared them A-B. I can just tell you comparison to what l remember about 2qute sound.
Qutest has more detailed and grain free high frequencies, more strong and powerful bass.
Midrange and general tonal balance are very similar. Qutest has better separation and sooundstage.
The difference between two DACs is notable but not huge.

Jan 5, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #2,786 of 6,743
Please assist me with getting a DAC/AMP, my preferred max price range is about $1000 to $1200, but would be open to extending it slightly . I know some examples that I mentioned below are outside the price range, but I do want to hear your opinions regardless. I do have a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, and may elect to upgrade that later. Finally, the other option is to upgrade my subwoofer, for home home speakers as I have Three LS50s in LCR setup with a denon 4400 receiver. What I'm looking for is not only A is better than B, but how much is A better than B and is that difference worth the price increase. So here are some of my choices.

1. SMSL SU8 ahd SH8 which together should run somewhat close to $500-550.
2. JDS El Dac and El Amp OR simpy the Element. The first two will be about the same as the SU8 and SH8 the second should be about $350.
3. IFI micro iDSD Black label: which should run about $599.
4. The upcoming March Dac with Massdrop 789 amp (i was working nights when the drop was still available, saw it, decided to go to sleep, and then when I work up, the drop ended back in late december. Hopefully massdrop makes it a permanently available product soon.
5. Monopricce THX Desktop Headphone dac/amp with dual THX 788 as oppose to Massdrops 789. It's ~$500
6 SMSL SU8 or JDS El DAC with MassDrop 789 which should be about $600
7. Audio dg r2r 11 for $350, or NFB-11.38 for $450
8. PS Audio Sprout 100 for $599
9. RME ADI-2 DAC for $1100 using it stock without an additional AMP
10. RME ADI-2 DAC with Massdrop 789 for $1450.
11. Chord Qutest with Massdrop 789 AMP for $2250

One last one.

A lot of choices, organized relatively speaking from cheapest to most expensive. Up to 9 is fairly reasonable, above 10 in stretching it. 11 would have to justify the cost.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #2,787 of 6,743
Firstly, you're asking in the wrong thread, the people here will be partial towards the Qutest. Period.

As for your list, based on what I have gathered so far:

1. The SMSL pair can be had for under $400 together from Massdrop.
2. The JDS Atom is currently its best measuring headphone amp. Its listed at $100.
6. The SMSL SU-8 with the Massdrop THX789 should yield you the best bang for the buck at very near the top end of "transparency" which seems to be your aim here.
7. The Audio-GD stuff are to be considered only IF you like some "coloration", they don't measure very well as compared to almost all the other DAC's listed in your list here. (But people seem to like them for some reason which I'm not aware of. )
9 and 10. There's very little to be gained from adding an amp to the RME.
11. Probably the best overall terms of measurements. And the most expensive.You can probably save a few dollars by pairing with the JDS Atom here since you won't be making full use of the THX's XLR inputs with the Qutest.

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #2,788 of 6,743

almost any 200-300$ dap can do this perfectly. Coax digital out.. 2 sd cards support... done. Fiio x3ii, fiiox5ii.. if you need streaming.. look for one with android. Hiby, fili x5iii, x7
sq will outperform usb interface. guaranteed.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #2,790 of 6,743
Just paired up my Qutest with an M Scaler, so my suggestion to those who haven’t, well you should

My heart agrees wholeheartedly, but my bank accounts is retching violently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back