Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 12, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #22,321 of 22,475
let the rich guys have their spoils and just live a generation behind
I do not think those who asking here for Hugo 3 are about "rich guys" philosophy.. I suppose it comes from fever for the sound in conjunction with missunderstanding of real potential of Hugo 2 already in their hands..

I mean most of them do not understand — any Hugo 3 in ordinary way will play worse and worse than Hugo 2 with proper environment

I would more than happy if Chord implements some great digital transport solution instead of any Hugo 3-4-5 etc..

Even my old portable setup with A&K SP3000 & Synergistic Research Gallileo SX shorty usb cable plays way better than 2go... Adding a portable DDC between SP3000 and Hugo 2 already improved sound even more, but it still can't reach a full potential of Hugo 2 I'm getting out of it with my stationary digital transport

For example I do not buy Hugo TT2 for office use because Hugo 2 being properly fed sounds so fantastic.. Of course it can't reach my home stationary Aqua Formula xHD rev.2 main dac, but it sounds really damn crazy good enough for any audiophile

There is clearly no need of Hugo 3 for years ahead (imho)

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #22,322 of 22,475
I would say let the rich guys have their spoils and just live a generation behind. The beauty with chord is that even second hand they hold good value. So while you’ll still pay a premium, you won’t have to fear selling your prized possessions to get one also, when you decide to upgrade later your chord will still hold its value. Chord is at the pinnacle of their game, It’s going to take a lot of R&D to eke out another 2% of performance. This is what happens when you’re just so damn good! Heheh I recommend eBay. I scored my Hugo 2 w/ 2Go for 1600$. There are deals to be found. You just gotta look often.
The other advantage of pushing the envelope at the upper end of cost no object designs is opening the possibility that research lessons learnt can be adapted and incorporated into units further down the price ladder. Personally I'd prefer a line of products that when upgraded provide significant improvements, I wouldn't be interested in a Hugo 3 being a Hugo 2 + EQ. Too many other manufacturers release new products too frequently, making you feel that your initial investment has too short a life span - or at least they create the FOMO, in reality that's probably untrue.

Jan 12, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #22,323 of 22,475
I would say let the rich guys have their spoils and just live a generation behind. The beauty with chord is that even second hand they hold good value. So while you’ll still pay a premium, you won’t have to fear selling your prized possessions to get one also, when you decide to upgrade later your chord will still hold its value. Chord is at the pinnacle of their game, It’s going to take a lot of R&D to eke out another 2% of performance. This is what happens when you’re just so damn good! Heheh I recommend eBay. I scored my Hugo 2 w/ 2Go for 1600$. There are deals to be found. You just gotta look often.
That is exactly what I am already doing,but Imo H2 like Qutest definitely needs mscaling. Without it ,H2 is simply not good enough for me, that's why I am sticking to my Q/Mscaler combo until a Hugo 3 with mscaling or another portable ie easy to travel with, product of similar or better SQ arrives at a decent price. It doesn't have to be from Chord but what I would want is at least Qutest /Mscaler SQ in a smaller reasonably priced package. IMO again there is absolutely a need for a H3 with mscaling Rob half promised so already in 2018 at Canjam Singapore. Technical challenge yes ,but impossible ? I certainly hope not.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #22,324 of 22,475
The other advantage of pushing the envelope at the upper end of cost no object designs is opening the possibility that research lessons learnt can be adapted and incorporated into units further down the price ladder. Personally I'd prefer a line of products that when upgraded provide significant improvements, I wouldn't be interested in a Hugo 3 being a Hugo 2 + EQ. Too many other manufacturers release new products too frequently, making you feel that your initial investment has too short a life span - or at least they create the FOMO, in reality that's probably untrue.
I agree. Given how Rob is prioritizing the product line he does seem to be looking to give everyone mic drop products instead of minor tweaks. So if their flagship products can get their updates and refreshes first I’m all for it. Many of us (I know for myself anyway) have so much untapped potential in our current products that we should be working to maximize what we have before trying to obtain what me want (in terms of the dac). Will a Hugo 3 sound better on my Oppo PM-II or Shure 846 Gen 2’s probably but I would gain more investing in a utopia then looking to upgrade my Hugo 2 to a three or even holding out for the four.

I know, some of you already got your end game cans and I envy you. :p those headphones I listed are exactly what I am using and trust me. As amazing as it sounds to me it’s just cause I don’t know any better despite knowing my Hugo is running at probably 40% of its capabilities. lol

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #22,325 of 22,475
H2 like Qutest definitely needs mscaling
It should be mentioned M-Scaler is not only an upscaling tool (HQPlayer is way better, but much harder to implement it efficiently) but a DDC also.. Any none-trash DDC will improve sound, like some ordinary Denafrips GAIA do with any DAC, and Hugo 2 no exception here..

M-Scaler combines DDC and upscaling in one box while being free of PC noise troubles — that's why it sounds so good while being easy to use..

It's unbelievable task to produce one Hugo 3 box wich will sound like two boxes, but it is clearly possible to produce portable DDC (maybe with upscaling feature) to make sound Hugo 2 better than any one-boxed Hugo 3 may

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #22,326 of 22,475
I'm trying to get my Pi2AES off the grid and on batteries. I'm setup for the 5volt mod, can anyone point me in the direction of a battery pack(multiple 18650 or similar)? I can't find anything.

Attachments

• signal-2024-01-15-150428.jpeg
    signal-2024-01-15-150428.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 0
Jan 15, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #22,327 of 22,475
I'm trying to get my Pi2AES off the grid and on batteries. I'm setup for the 5volt mod, can anyone point me in the direction of a battery pack(multiple 18650 or similar)? I can't find anything.
I am not very knowledgeable about the Pi.
However, a chunky powerbank would have 5V output on its USB out port.
You can easily adopt one of those. It would have charging ports built in too.

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #22,328 of 22,475
Not sure about the Pi2AES specifically but I power a Pi3, charge an iFi Gryphon, and can wirelessly recharge my phone with a Goal Zero Sherpa. Easily lasts all day.
Has enough power for a Hugo 2/2Go as well.

IMG_1466.jpeg

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #22,330 of 22,475
@Rob Watts hi rob do u know where i can get those 2 pin connector to connect 2go to hugo 2 , i lost it, any US dealer have them?
It's best you ping Chord support. Rob is a consultant for them, and also the 2go isn't even a product he developed.

Jan 18, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #22,333 of 22,475
The best stand for Hugo2+2Go I've found so far.

It looks and feels sturdy, and holds my Hugo combo stably.

tempImage6hw91j.jpg
tempImageyW389c.png
IMG_6886 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back