Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 23, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #22,231 of 22,475
No I don’t use a mesh setup but I can if I could be bothered setting up an unused new asus router, something 86 is the name of it, the router I use is an asus GT-AX11000,

It used to work ok but the drop outs I’m getting is coming from roon as when it happens I notice that roon is giving me an error of “this track is slow to load” or something like that, I don’t think it’s caused by poly, I just think it is either roon or qobuz, which then causes poly to drop.

I was just really wondering if 2go had 5ghz wifi or if it was 2.4ghz only ?

I also use Qobuz>Roon>2Go which worked fine for years and then the loading slowly error began happening regularly.
The wifi implementation in 2Go isn’t great: Other endpoints in my listening room would work flawlessly (on 2.4G) but not 2Go.
Upgrading my router improved things but it recurred occasionally and only with Qobuz. Local files and Tidal played fine.
As an experiment I ran a long Ethernet cable to 2Go and still had loading slowly errors.
Turns out the problem was my ISP’s DNS service. It was fine with Tidal but not Qobuz.
Roon support suggested changing the DNS settings on my router to Cloudflare.
It helped significantly.

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns/what-is-1.1.1.1/

But lately it still happens occasionally.
It works fine for a day or so and then starts dropping again - on all my endpoints.
Restarting my Roon Core will resolve it for a while.
Apparently a recent Roon update changed how Roon search works and it increased the resource demands on the Core.
Particularly with larger libraries.
Mine is over 100,000 tracks.
The Core is an i5 (2021) with 12GB RAM.
Plex and minimServer work fine.
Since I don’t want to purchase another PC for Roon I just restart mine daily and all is well.

Hope this helps.

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #22,233 of 22,475
I also use Qobuz>Roon>2Go which worked fine for years and then the loading slowly error began happening regularly.
The wifi implementation in 2Go isn’t great: Other endpoints in my listening room would work flawlessly (on 2.4G) but not 2Go.
Upgrading my router improved things but it recurred occasionally and only with Qobuz. Local files and Tidal played fine.
As an experiment I ran a long Ethernet cable to 2Go and still had loading slowly errors.
Turns out the problem was my ISP’s DNS service. It was fine with Tidal but not Qobuz.
Roon support suggested changing the DNS settings on my router to Cloudflare.
It helped significantly.

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns/what-is-1.1.1.1/

But lately it still happens occasionally.
It works fine for a day or so and then starts dropping again - on all my endpoints.
Restarting my Roon Core will resolve it for a while.
Apparently a recent Roon update changed how Roon search works and it increased the resource demands on the Core.
Particularly with larger libraries.
Mine is over 100,000 tracks.
The Core is an i5 (2021) with 12GB RAM.
Plex and minimServer work fine.
Since I don’t want to purchase another PC for Roon I just restart mine daily and all is well.

Hope this helps.

I already use 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which is cloudfare and both of googles dns servers, maybe I will have a look at what other dns servers that are out there since you got rid of the slow loading error.

As I don’t want to reinstall roon server again as I have too many hard drives with folders everywhere and its a pain to manually add them all, I really need to tidy things up.

Cheers for your help, it might help me narrow down the problem and hopefully fix it, as its been bugging me for a wee while now

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #22,234 of 22,475
I already use 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which is cloudfare and both of googles dns servers, maybe I will have a look at what other dns servers that are out there since you got rid of the slow loading error.

As I don’t want to reinstall roon server again as I have too many hard drives with folders everywhere and its a pain to manually add them all, I really need to tidy things up.

Cheers for your help, it might help me narrow down the problem and hopefully fix it, as its been bugging me for a wee while now
I think if you’re already using Cloudflare you can rule out DNS errors as the cause.

At least in my case, I’m pretty sure this is a Roon issue not a 2Go issue.
I started getting dropouts again last night including with Tidal and local files.
It was happening on other endpoints too.
I kept an eye on the Roon app as this was happening and noticed Roon is hanging when the music stops.
I had a look at my Roon logs and there were 100s of instances of

Warn: FTMSI-B qo/F34E2D20: block downloaded too much time locked

I don’t know what this means or if it’s related but I’ve reported it to Roon.
If they provide any useful info I’ll report back here.

Oct 25, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #22,235 of 22,475
May I know anyone who is using iPhone 14 or 15 with Tidal streaming, pairing Hugo 2 with USB cable? is it going smoothly?

Oct 25, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #22,236 of 22,475
Uberding, I did think it was a roon problem, but I’ve never seen roon make 100 instances, but I’ve never checked to be honest as I usually just quit it and run the server again, but now that you’ve noticed 100 instances I will have a look see to see if thats the case here when it has problems loading tracks.

Edit;

I just saw one of the ad’s on here for hifiman “Stealth Magnets” :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #22,237 of 22,475
Has anyone compared the MoJo 2 vs the Hugo 2? I have a Mojo and am considering moving up… but only if it’s an upgrade.
I have compared them and I'd say the difference is quite noticeable in the way the different devices render bass and lower mids, with decidedly more resolution of textures with the Hugo 2, vs relativity slightly fuller sounding but less textured and nuanced bass / lower mids from the Mojo 2. Further up the frequency range, I just felt the Hugo 2 a bit ahead on detail. I chose the Hugo 2 as I preferred it's presentation and insight.

I've tried the Hugo 2 with a couple of headphone amps (Quad and Mclntosh) and felt both reduced resolution and added nothing worthwhile.

Oct 29, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #22,238 of 22,475
May I know anyone who is using iPhone 14 or 15 with Tidal streaming, pairing Hugo 2 with USB cable? is it going smoothly?
I do with iPhone 14 pro with VGA genuine adapter, no problem for me :)

Nov 4, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #22,241 of 22,475
Cayin C9 is also roughly same size as Hugo2Go, and in case makes a nice mini-desktop set-up. Also pairs marvellously well on the sound front.

P1110571.jpg
I'm looking into getting this same setup (besides the cans), hows the sound? Could you describe it?

Nov 4, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #22,242 of 22,475
Nov 28, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #22,244 of 22,475
Looking into purchasing the Hugo 2, quick question: Is Thunderbolt 4 from the Mac Studio enough for powering Hugo in desktop mode? Thunderbolt 4 ports can supply 15 Watts of power.
It does not work that way.
Hugo2 needs a wall charger in desktop mode.

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #22,245 of 22,475
Looking into purchasing the Hugo 2, quick question: Is Thunderbolt 4 from the Mac Studio enough for powering Hugo in desktop mode? Thunderbolt 4 ports can supply 15 Watts of power.
It does not work that way.
Hugo2 needs a wall charger in desktop mode.
In fact, Chord recommends a 5V-2A power source to utilize the desktop mode on Hugo2, so I think that the Thunderbolt 4 is able to manipulate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back