Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 28, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #22,246 of 22,645
In fact, Chord recommends a 5V-2A power source to utilize the desktop mode on Hugo2, so I think that the Thunderbolt 4 is able to manipulate it.
Should is one thing, would is another.
Hugo2 does not use the power of USB input for power.
It has TWO usb sockets, one is exclusively for audio input, and the second is exclusively for power input.
How you are going to swing that, I wouldn't know.

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #22,247 of 22,645
Should is one thing, would is another.
Hugo2 does not use the power of USB input for power.
It has TWO usb sockets, one is exclusively for audio input, and the second is exclusively for power input.
Of course, I know that since I used Hugo2, I think that everyone who is going to buy the Hugo2 knows it easily. As I understand, he will use both micro slots on Hugo2 connected to his Mac Studio, one for data and one for power :D

Nov 28, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #22,248 of 22,645
It does not work that way.
Hugo2 needs a wall charger in desktop mode.
What's the difference in the source of electricity if both can output 5V?
ports.png

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #22,250 of 22,645
Of course, whenever you turn off the Mac, the Hugo2 will go out of desktop mode and restarts the 24 hr. cycle to get back to desktop mode when the Mac is turned back on.
Would it even go into Desktop mode in less than 24 hours, in the first place?
Does the Mac keep the power on, when it is switched off?
Is there a chance of ground loop noise leaking in, with two earths to the same noisy computer?
And all of this, to save on a wall charger!

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #22,251 of 22,645
Of course, whenever you turn off the Mac, the Hugo2 will go out of desktop mode and restarts the 24 hr. cycle to get back to desktop mode when the Mac is turned back on.
You don't need to turn off Mac computer unless you're going on vacation, and by default, macOS keeps USB ports constantly providing power while in sleep mode. Well, I guess there's only one way to find out.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #22,252 of 22,645
Photo Nov 29 2023, 2 56 02 PM.jpg

State of the stack. I now have to carry a camera sling around instead of a regular sling bag lol
The next step is to find a way to connect via RCA to squeeze out that last drop of performance. Right now the RCA socket is blocked by the angled coax cable.

Dec 2, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #22,255 of 22,645
Anyone who is using new MacBook Pro M3? I just tried to plug my Hugo 2 into Mac with usb C cable, it recognized my Hugo2 but no sound at all.

But it runs smooth when I m using with my iPhone 15 pro max 🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻😭😭😭

And according to Apple staff, New Macook pro can’t use type c adaptor with iem at this moment, so the only way is native PO 3.5mm.

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #22,256 of 22,645
Anyone who is using new MacBook Pro M3? I just tried to plug my Hugo 2 into Mac with usb C cable, it recognized my Hugo2 but no sound at all.

But it runs smooth when I m using with my iPhone 15 pro max 🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻😭😭😭

And according to Apple staff, New Macook pro can’t use type c adaptor with iem at this moment, so the only way is native PO 3.5mm.
Only Pro M3 has this issue? I am using Pro M1 and works flawlessly with all Chord products I owned (Mojo1, Mojo2, Hugo2).

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #22,257 of 22,645
Only Pro M3 has this issue? I am using Pro M1 and works flawlessly with all Chord products I owned (Mojo1, Mojo2, Hugo2).
I will buy M3 max so I just checked in Apple shop, for my current intel MacBook Pro that’s no problem at all😭😭😭😭😭

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #22,258 of 22,645
I have owned a Hugo 2 for a little while now and am still undecided as to whether this is the daily desktop use amp for me. I love the form factor and its look, it is desk friendly also. Sometimes it feels very clinical, I lean towards a warmer more musical sound and I am not sure if I could describe the Hugo 2 as fun and enjoyable for my taste.

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #22,259 of 22,645
I have owned a Hugo 2 for a little while now and am still undecided as to whether this is the daily desktop use amp for me. I love the form factor and its look, it is desk friendly also. Sometimes it feels very clinical, I lean towards a warmer more musical sound and I am not sure if I could describe the Hugo 2 as fun and enjoyable for my taste.

It's too neutral even when feeding your tube amp?

I guess there are many times when we don't have the time to justify turning on the tubes. For that I recommend pairing the H2 with a Violectric like the V200, V281 if you find the H2 alone not to your taste.

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #22,260 of 22,645
I will buy M3 max so I just checked in Apple shop, for my current intel MacBook Pro that’s no problem at all😭😭😭😭😭
Hmm, I think that the demo device in the Apple shop has some specific configuration for a demo unit, so I deny connecting the external DAC. I think it can connect if it is a commercial unit because in general, the M3 chip does not have any special "improvement" to restrict the external device (like my M1 Pro). You should try again on a commercial unit friend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back