Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 8, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #20,656 of 22,531
Yes, to my ears the filter does work on both the TT2 and the Hugo 2. There's a discernable difference and it's actually useful when listening to certain tracks that take the treble too far. But I agree that as a feature it pales in comparison to something like Crossfade.
And that brings me to the Crossfeed feature!
I just about never use it.
the crossfeed feature on my SW player is better, programmable with respect to frequency and level.
Filter and CF, I wouldn't miss them if they were gone, indeed wouldn't even notice.

Jan 8, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #20,657 of 22,531
And that brings me to the Crossfeed feature!
I just about never use it.
the crossfeed feature on my SW player is better, programmable with respect to frequency and level.
Filter and CF, I wouldn't miss them if they were gone, indeed wouldn't even notice.
Certainly the adjustable filter does make an audible difference, but does not in any way affect the musical representation so is therefore redundant. As regards CF, why you would want to design something so incredibly natural sounding as the FPGA/WTA filter which is quite frankly an act of genius, and then artificially synthesise that sound into something quite unspeakable, is quite frankly beyond me.

Jan 8, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #20,658 of 22,531
Certainly the adjustable filter does make an audible difference, but does not in any way affect the musical representation so is therefore redundant. As regards CF, why you would want to design something so incredibly natural sounding as the FPGA/WTA filter which is quite frankly an act of genius, and then artificially synthesise that sound into something quite unspeakable, is quite frankly beyond me.
not with you, how did I artificially .... what you said?

Jan 9, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #20,659 of 22,531
Two RCA plugs that don‘t fit: The ones on Transparent Audio (Plus here), the standard WBT-0144 or (EDIT) WBT-0101, not even the smaller WBT-0147 (END OF EDIT). What cables? I‘d call them middle-of-the-road stuff (i.e. no garden hoses, no coat hangers), a.o. by AudioQuest (they are the only ones I found up to now that fit), Transparent Audio, Straight Wire. In Europe, Forza Audio Works told me that NO connector they use on their RCA cables as a standard does fit, but they could try and get appropriate ones. What for? Integration in a desktop system, certainly a legitimate use case.

Thanks, @Currawong!
Have you tried nordost cables? I'm using it with nordost blue heaven, it fits perfectly and I love the sound. Nordost Red Dawn sounds great too.

Jan 10, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #20,660 of 22,531
New to Hugo2, was happy with Mojo and got it becaue I got a good deal in used market. The price was good, but flip side was, no stock charged included.

Did try using aftermarket 5V 2a, but charge indicator always show light blue (should be for slow charging). Better if I can get orginal replacment charger, but could not find over web.

Please suggest good aftermarket charger for Hugo2

Jan 10, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #20,661 of 22,531
New to Hugo2, was happy with Mojo and got it becaue I got a good deal in used market. The price was good, but flip side was, no stock charged included.

Did try using aftermarket 5V 2a, but charge indicator always show light blue (should be for slow charging). Better if I can get orginal replacment charger, but could not find over web.

My anker and iFi ones work fine.

Jan 10, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #20,662 of 22,531

Try different cables too, in my experience some work at 2A some only give a 1A charge-rate.

Jan 10, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #20,663 of 22,531
Try different cables too, in my experience some work at 2A some only give a 1A charge-rate.

Thanks I will try different cable, if same result then will look for different charger.

Jan 12, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #20,664 of 22,531

Wire was the problem, changed and now seeing white color.

Jan 12, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #20,665 of 22,531
Wire was the problem, changed and now seeing white color.
Always good to keep in mind.
@Rob Watts has posted before that some cables sold as USB do not meet the usb standard. Too high resistance means high voltage drop and/or current reduction.
This leads some owners to blame the Hugo 2.
Trying to keep impartial, this should be recorded as part of a knowledge base for all Chord DACs, because it affects all the DACs not just Hugo 2. :relaxed:
In hindsight it probably was captured as part of the original Mojo FAQ, but issues about USB cables are generic, and not specific to a particular product.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #20,666 of 22,531
Always good to keep in mind.
@Rob Watts has posted before that some cables sold as USB do not meet the usb standard. Too high resistance means high voltage drop and/or current reduction.
This leads some owners to blame the Hugo 2.
Trying to keep impartial, this should be recorded as part of a knowledge base for all Chord DACs, because it affects all the DACs not just Hugo 2. :relaxed:
In hindsight it probably was captured as part of the original Mojo FAQ, but issues about USB cables are generic, and not specific to a particular product.

Agree with you, thanks for suggesting cable change.

Jan 18, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #20,667 of 22,531
Hi gents. I just ordered a Hugo 2 + 2go. I will mostly use them on desktop. I'm thinking getting a good aftermarket charger for them. I'm eyeing on ifi ipower 2 and x, but they are 2.5A and 3A. Are they compatible with hugo2go combo?

are they going to help a little on SQ? Any other recommendations?

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #20,668 of 22,531
Hi gents. I just ordered a Hugo 2 + 2go. I will mostly use them on desktop. I'm thinking getting a good aftermarket charger for them. I'm eyeing on ifi ipower 2 and x, but they are 2.5A and 3A. Are they compatible with hugo2go combo?

They should work just fine. I don't think you'll hear a significant difference with either of those. The stock power supply also works fine for desktop with hugo 2 + 2go.

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #20,669 of 22,531

I am in the same boat as you. I am looking for a power supply that can much the SQ of the internal batteries. I have tried ifi ipower x, Allo Nirvana SMPS, SBooster MKII LPS, Anker Power Bank, and Krisdonia Laptop Power Bank, but none of them can much the internal batteries. If I have to score them, I will rank them like this:

1. SBooster MKII LPS
2. Krisdonia Laptop Power Bank (unplug the main to get the best SQ)
3. Allo Nirvana SMPS (runs hot)
4. ifi iPower X/Anker Power Bank (kills highs to much)

I ended up returning everything except the Krisdonia Laptop Power Bank, which is cheap and the SQ is so close to SBooster. If you do not mind unplugging the Krisdonia from main when you listen to your Hugo2+2Go, and then plug the power bank back to main after you finish, Krisdonia is the way to go. Otherwise, Allo Nirvana is a good upgrade from stock.

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #20,670 of 22,531

I change my SBooster MKII with filter for the Poweroak K2 and i have a better result with TT2 or 2GO2YU on HMS used with Dave.
For 2GOHUGO2 or 2GO2YU on HUGO2, I have placed 7 ferrites on the Usb cable received with the Hugo2 and then the PowerOak can stay on the main for these configurations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back