Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 3, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #20,686 of 22,535
I would too)

The only issue with the KSE 1200, is cable noise. Not that it's worse than other IEMs, but when the sound is that good you want it noise free. I have owned them over a year now and still marvel at them. It feels a shame that they are IEMs because if they had a full-sized sound-stage, then 'oh wow'. The soundstage is suprising wide though with the right music.

I am still confused by you requirement of amplification for loads wich Hugo 2 can drive.

E.g. I once had the Ttoby with my TT2 for about five weeks. I loved it, and in some ways I pondered is it better than TT2 driving speakers. I felt better in my mind knowing that the Ttoby was designed for driving speakers. That's even though Rob Watts tells us that the TT2 is also. The TT2 manual even said the TT2 is designed to drive speakers.

The Ttoby was brilliant all said and done, and I was blown away by it. I really like chilling out with it. I liked that I needed so little gain on the TT2 to get enough volume from the Ttoby. I like it's wide and solid soundsage.

However once the Ttoby was gone, and I re-adjusted to the TT2 driving speakers, it was no contest. The direct drive to speakers by TT2 was just more real and more right. Adding an amplifier 'without question', took away considerable layers of detail. The amplifier also took away depth of soundstage, or depth of instrument sounds. Making each sound less complex, and as if each sound had a little dead weight in them. Thus chaning tonality or timbre somewhat too.

Adding an amplifier therefor should only be done if your DAC is not powerful enough for your headphones. Or if the system is not matched. However different headphones might be a better solution in that case.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #20,687 of 22,535
Just wanted to share pictures of my Hugo 2 setup:

Using the tablet stand someone recommended here on the thread, with 3D printed brackets (black) to hold the H2.
Usually I keep it at my working desk, with a magnetic micro-USB charging cable. That makes it very easy to take the stand anywhere else in the house when needed and additionally prevents wear of the micro-USB socket.

Hugo 2 is driving some Focal Clear Pro (Original) with Dekoni Limited Stellia sheepskin pads - phenomenal SQ!
Below the Clears are my IEMs and the Mojo, stacked with a HiBy R3 DAP in it's transport box on the left.

Have always been impressed with that solution for Mojo portability.

The fact that it's needed for taking Mojo out and about, means my Mojo never left my home. Without the case the Mojo connections would be too fragile and automatically prone to damage.

I would likely use my Mojo as a portable device, if I had a case. I have been tied to DAPs because of this issue.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #20,691 of 22,535
They really should push Hugo 3 and 2go 2 , and dump micro usb completely. Mojo 2 looks really wierd with so many usb holes on the units just in order to match Poly.
and in this case it should be normal i2s usage between Hugo3 and 2go 2 :wink:

Feb 3, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #20,692 of 22,535
The problem is that like the Mojo 2 it will likely still have to have two outdated micro usb points rather than usb c at least to connect to the 2go.
It may have usb c point as well but I won’t buy anything with micro usb in 2022 on.
In english phraseology that is 'cutting your nose off, to spite your face.'. Your choice. :wink:

Feb 3, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #20,693 of 22,535
I am still confused by you requirement of amplification for loads wich Hugo 2 can drive
I can't argue or not with your TT2 discussion.
But I didn't say "requirement" of an amp.
I said amp is adding scene wideness and smoothness to the sound. And it is.
It doesn't mean Hugo 2 plays bad with (for example) Meze Empyrean.
If you connect Empy to H2 you will hear something really great out of this pair)
But it doesn't mean you will be dissapointed somehow while connecting H2 to a great amp with great interconnect cables.
It's just a different level of how the sound opens. Character of the sound is way better for my ears.
Loosing of detais or not.. depends on interconnect cables quality and quality of an amp..
(sorry for my English, I'm not a good writer here)

Feb 4, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #20,694 of 22,535
In english phraseology that is 'cutting your nose off, to spite your face.'. Your choice. :wink:
Not really if the presence of micro usb would spoil the pleasure I got from any improvement. Which it would.

Also to be pedantic that expression is really for when you harm someone else for revenge etc but ultimately harm yourself more.

Feb 6, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #20,695 of 22,535
I found SQ differences between stock SMPS, power banks, and internal batteries. Also, there are SQ differences when using power conditioner/AC noise filter with stock SMPS. Then, I asked Rob Watts about it, and he suggested to use a power bank that has a pass through to preserve SQ.
What kind of power bank would you suggest that has the right output (12V) for the Hugo. Thanks

Feb 6, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #20,696 of 22,535
I need to correct something I said quite a while ago.

I reported the Hugo 2 running hot in it's case. This was during summer. It meant I stopped using my case for either my Hugo 2 or Mojo.

I thought about this and tried my Hugo 2 in its (official black Chord) case again. I was surprised that it was not running as hot as I recall.

It seemed odd when I thought about it. My Hugo 2 never ran that hot even when charging and playing. I always felt lucky with that.

However I think what happened was this. I think Hugo 2 was when playing and charging, when in a case. ....... Yeah face-palm obviously.

This is why I am confused right now. I have been using my Hugo 2 recently back in its case. The exposed parts of the Hugo 2 painted metal-work, barely get warm.

I must assume that I panicked. Then posted in the thread about being wary of the case. Having mistaken under what circumstances because I claimed Hugo 2 ran hot in a case.

It is of course possible that my panick happened in summer. It may have been 27'C and Hugo 2 maybe got hot then in its case. ... (Whereas now when I am playing Hugo 2 in its case, it's about 21'C.)

All I can recall from my panic is that I noticed some battery-life degredation during this hot running time.

Anyway the message is sorry to anyone affected, including Chord Electronics. I hope everything is straightened out now. As of now I think the case is an excellent idea. It for sure makes the unit feel easier to manage, because there is reduced risk in handling it. .... Again very sorry if I messed up. Am still not sure, so figured it wise to lay it out.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #20,697 of 22,535
Does anyone use a psu for the Hugo 2 with a 5.5 x 2.1 connector? If so do you just add a generic 5.5 x 2.1 to micro USB adapter to connect it to the Hugo 2? Like the ones you find on Amazon.

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #20,700 of 22,535
I'm using a Chord Clearway 3.5mm digital coax cable to connect my streamer to the Hugo 2. Are there any suggestions for a suitable digital coax cable upgrade around the £200-£300 (€250 - €350) mark?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back