Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 8, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #20,701 of 22,535
Does anyone compared sony ta-zh1es and hugo 2, which sounds better ? i would like to choose between them
I’ve owned both in the past (and still have a Hugo). I think they’re on-par with each other as far as DAC quality and organic/realistic vocals. I would choose between them based on your use-case. If you are planning to leave the unit in your desk, I’d get the TA. If you’d like some portability, go for the Hugo 2.

They’re both excellent.

Feb 8, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #20,702 of 22,535
I found SQ differences between stock SMPS, power banks, and internal batteries. Also, there are SQ differences when using power conditioner/AC noise filter with stock SMPS. Then, I asked Rob Watts about it, and he suggested to use a power bank that has a pass through to preserve SQ.

How pass through will help?

pass-through charging will just allow Hugo and internal power bank battery at same time, this way hugo directly to power socket.

Feb 8, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #20,703 of 22,535
How pass through will help?

pass-through charging will just allow Hugo and internal power bank battery at same time, this way hugo directly to power socket.
The pass-through makes hugo2 to stay in desktop mode to preserve the battery life. It does not have any SQ benefit.

Below is what Rob Watt replied when I asked him the SQ differences between charger and internal battery:
Second question - yes adding the charger to Hugo 2 can make it sound brighter. If you were using Hugo 2 in desktop mode, I recommend using a battery power bank, and charge the power bank overnight - then Hugo 2 is in desktop mode, but you preserve the SQ benefits of battery mode. I haven't heard a reduction in depth though.

Feb 8, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #20,704 of 22,535
The pass-through makes hugo2 to stay in desktop mode to preserve the battery life. It does not have any SQ benefit.

Below is what Rob Watt replied when I asked him the SQ differences between charger and internal battery:
So you always connect Hugo 2 to the power bank. Plug the power bank when not listening, and unplug when listening, right?

Feb 8, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #20,705 of 22,535
So you always connect Hugo 2 to the power bank. Plug the power bank when not listening, and unplug when listening, right?
Yes, that's right. When not listening, plug the power bank to wall. For casual listening, unplug the power bank from the wall to reduce RFI. For critical listening, unplug the power from Hugo2+2Go, and just use the internal batteries.

I don't know if the power bank's pass through still works when only the Hugo2 is connected, and the Hugo2 is off. Some power bank requires current draw for the passthrough to work. 2Go is always drawing current when the power is connected, so it works in my case.

Feb 8, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #20,706 of 22,535
I remember I read somewhere saying powerbank power is not so clean. LSPs are considered superior.

I'm a bit surprised that chord ppl recommend using a powerbank. do they consider powerbank is in identical quality as hugo2 internal battery? Perhaps they have technology in Hugo 2 that is able to purify powerbank power?

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #20,707 of 22,535
I've been following these posts about using a power bank for the Hugo 2 with interest. I've seen reference to DXP-1A5S on some Head-Fi forum posts. I understand it is a psu that would go between power bank and device. I've taken a punt and ordered one along with a power bank for my Hugo 2.

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #20,708 of 22,535
I remember I read somewhere saying powerbank power is not so clean. LSPs are considered superior.

I'm a bit surprised that chord ppl recommend using a powerbank. do they consider powerbank is in identical quality as hugo2 internal battery? Perhaps they have technology in Hugo 2 that is able to purify powerbank power?
Some powerbanks work a large capacity single Li-ion battery rated at 3.7V.
to provide 5V output, they employ a DC to DC switch mode converter, which can be noisy.
A linear PSU, does not and can be cleaner.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #20,709 of 22,535
Some powerbanks work a large capacity single Li-ion battery rated at 3.7V.
to provide 5V output, they employ a DC to DC switch mode converter, which can be noisy.
A linear PSU, does not and can be cleaner.

The problem with PSUs is RF noise, as it creates noise floor modulation. But - it needs to be random RF noise to create noise floor modulation within the analogue sections of a DAC. A DC to DC converter uses a PWM waveform to switch; this inherently does not create random RF noise, and the switching noise OP is very easy to filter from a switching regulator, and the RF filters built into my designs are more than capable of eliminating this residual issue.

But removing random RF noise in the 100kHz to 10 GHz bandwidth is an immensely difficult job - it's multiple orders of magnitude more difficult to do than removing switching noise. The problem with the mains is that it has huge levels of random RF noise, which audiophile linear PSUs do nothing to remove (unlike all SMPS).

So ignore the nonsense that power banks have DC to DC converters and so are not good. If you try a power bank and don't like the warmth, then you are merely preferring the distortion of noise floor modulation from linear PSUs.

Feb 9, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #20,710 of 22,535
The problem with PSUs is RF noise, as it creates noise floor modulation. But - it needs to be random RF noise to create noise floor modulation within the analogue sections of a DAC. A DC to DC converter uses a PWM waveform to switch; this inherently does not create random RF noise, and the switching noise OP is very easy to filter from a switching regulator, and the RF filters built into my designs are more than capable of eliminating this residual issue.

But removing random RF noise in the 100kHz to 10 GHz bandwidth is an immensely difficult job - it's multiple orders of magnitude more difficult to do than removing switching noise. The problem with the mains is that it has huge levels of random RF noise, which audiophile linear PSUs do nothing to remove (unlike all SMPS).

So ignore the nonsense that power banks have DC to DC converters and so are not good. If you try a power bank and don't like the warmth, then you are merely preferring the distortion of noise floor modulation from linear PSUs.
I would like to try using powerbanks for both my Qutest and my Mscaler for travels and also at home. Lots of annoying power outages lately in the stormy weather we have been having here in Sweden.
But I am still waiting for your recommendation of one that is both easily available in mainland Europe and that works with both for many hours without having to be recharged.
I already have a battery powered supply for Qutest and it sounds warmer ,fuller and makes acoustic musical instruments sound more real and timbrally correct than the supplied wallwart for Qutest.
But after years of daily use the one I have is beginning to run out of juice in less than 2 hours.New it lasted 3-3,5 hours.
I would like easily useable powerbanks where I do not need to make any connectors myself. I have not used soldering iron in many years and do not want to risk shorting my dac and Mscaler .And I need powerbanks that last all day and also bring the same/simliar benefits as my current one does ie fuller warmer more realistic not hardening /harshness as the wallwart SMPS.
And having to plug in and out the VERY annoying little micro usb plug on Qutest several times per day is something ,I finally want be able to avoid.
Sorry to pester you about it again but honestly,that puny little connection which in less than good daylight ,I need my reading glasses to see what is up and down on!
It is the only thing I strongly DISLIKE with my Qutest.
Very weird choice for a desktop unit like Qutest imo.
I am not aware of ANY other desktop unit with micro usb only, power connection.
Is there even one?

The powerbank you initially recommended here and were using on your travels was never available here in any shops or anywhere else where I kept looking for it on my travels.
Please advice on currently easily available in actual shops powerbanks suitable for Qutest and Mscaler. I do not shop at Amazon or other online only based dealers any longer.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #20,711 of 22,535
Feb 9, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #20,712 of 22,535
That would be fine for Qutest - it would last for around 100 hours per charge with Qutest.

But it's too powerful for flying, and doesn't have 12v OP for M scaler.

The Krisdonia 25000mAh NJF-2 is more reasonably priced and will allow travelling and M scaler.

Feb 9, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #20,713 of 22,535

I learn something new every day.
thanx

Feb 9, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #20,714 of 22,535
I'm using a Chord Clearway 3.5mm digital coax cable to connect my streamer to the Hugo 2. Are there any suggestions for a suitable digital coax cable upgrade around the £200-£300 (€250 - €350) mark?
If you are handy with a soldering iron, I would recommend Oyaide FTVS-510 75 Ohm Pure Silver Coaxial Digital Cable with either Atlas or Furutech connectors.

I liked the Atlas Metik 3.5mm stereo jack as it hade a really wide opening for the cable... their BNC plugs weren't bad either. Furutech provide quite a few good options in terms of BNC... as well as Oyaide. The Oyaide 3.5mm jacks are very well made but quite small and fiddly to work with.

If you're not into soldering, try find someone that is and see if they'll make the cable for you. It's about £100 p/metre for the cable and anywhere from £35-£50 per pair of BNC plugs... about £25 for Atlas 3.5mm jacks. The sound quality from that cable is something else. The conductor is extremely thick and the BNC pins only just fit in. I ended up replacing all my digital coax cables with it... dual for the TT2, a dual to 3.5mm for the Hugo 2 as well as a single BNC to 3.5 for the Hugo as well.

Feb 9, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #20,715 of 22,535
I'm another Krisdonia user here. I have a 50k mAh one that was originally for the MScaler but now use it in my downstairs system for the Allo Digione Pi4 setup with the Hugo2. They also do a 25k version as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back