Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 2, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #19,456 of 22,475
I am waiting for my PI2AES to be delivered. The big question in my head is that can I use both BNC and COAX at the same time as dual input to get 2*192kHZ hi-res data like M-Scalar style or only 192khz.

I suppose it is impossible at all.
Idea sounds really strange

Is it possible anyhow on any kind of gear?..

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #19,457 of 22,475
Hi Rob, Thanks again for the exellent CH2, a strange question, would it work to connect an TT2 direct to a pair of speakers such as the Quad ESL 2905? they are powered but not "active" speakers and has a sensitivity at 86db, probably not a good idea but sine others I have read have connected direct thought it would be interesting to know if possible and get shortest path without an amp to deteriorate the signal...?
Unless you listen at low volume levels I don't think that will work too well.

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #19,458 of 22,475
Hi All,

TL;DR Is it possible to get 768kHz on your Hugo 2 when feeding it from the MScaler?? If so, how are you doing it?
---------------------------------

Long version:
New to the forum, and looking for some advice. Been digging through this thread and the MScaler thread but can’t seem to find anything. Apologies if this is covered.
In short, I cannot seem to achieve full upscaling (768) when connecting my Scaler to my Hugo2. Max I can achieve is 352.8 or 384. Troubleshooting but a little stumped. I NEED ALL THE TAPS!!

Background: Been a happy hugo 2 owner since release, mostly listening through IEMs or sometimes feeding my large rig using the RCA outs.
Recently moved and no longer have a room where I can play at loud volumes, so have been working on a headphone setup.

This led me to the MScaler. I had always been eying it but never had an excuse (ie use case) for it. Now I do. Rather than jumping directly into the MScaler/TT2 combo, I decided to mitigate the financial blow by starting with it feeding my Hugo2. It works and makes noticeable improvement, but I cannot seem to get it to unlock the full upscaling capability.

The behavior of the system follows the “single BNC” column of the MScaler manual section 4.5 , 44.1->88.2->176.4->252.8 (red->yellow->blue->pink on Hugo2), even when I use a USB input into the MScaler. I am expecting it to follow the “Dual BNC/USB” sequence in the manual of 44.1->176.4->352.8->705.6 (red->blue->pink->purple on Hugo2).

Detailed setup:

Roon/iPad Pro->USB cable->MScaler->Chord Co Clearway 2BNC cable (made for this setup, dual BNC to dual 3.5 coax)->Hugo2->Meze Empyrean

Some clues:
The MScaler “DX OP” button correctly reflects the input sampling rate matching Roon.
The Hugo 2 Input correctly changes to the light blue color (“Coax dual data mode”)
The sequence follows the "optical" behavior described in the MScaler manual table for optical when I use an optical source (google chromecast audio), as expected.

What am I missing? Is it my source (iPad)?
Any suggestions on what else I can try next?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #19,459 of 22,475
Pulled the trigger and ordered the hugo TT2 as I no longer need a transportable device and looking to reach my end game (yeah, right). Trading in the Hugo 2 as part of the deal. Will be missed though, it gave me many happy hours. A truly exceptional product. I really hope the upgrade will be worth it.

Dec 3, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #19,460 of 22,475
Hi All,

TL;DR Is it possible to get 768kHz on your Hugo 2 when feeding it from the MScaler?? If so, how are you doing it?
---------------------------------

Long version:
New to the forum, and looking for some advice. Been digging through this thread and the MScaler thread but can’t seem to find anything. Apologies if this is covered.
In short, I cannot seem to achieve full upscaling (768) when connecting my Scaler to my Hugo2. Max I can achieve is 352.8 or 384. Troubleshooting but a little stumped. I NEED ALL THE TAPS!!

Background: Been a happy hugo 2 owner since release, mostly listening through IEMs or sometimes feeding my large rig using the RCA outs.
Recently moved and no longer have a room where I can play at loud volumes, so have been working on a headphone setup.

This led me to the MScaler. I had always been eying it but never had an excuse (ie use case) for it. Now I do. Rather than jumping directly into the MScaler/TT2 combo, I decided to mitigate the financial blow by starting with it feeding my Hugo2. It works and makes noticeable improvement, but I cannot seem to get it to unlock the full upscaling capability.

The behavior of the system follows the “single BNC” column of the MScaler manual section 4.5 , 44.1->88.2->176.4->252.8 (red->yellow->blue->pink on Hugo2), even when I use a USB input into the MScaler. I am expecting it to follow the “Dual BNC/USB” sequence in the manual of 44.1->176.4->352.8->705.6 (red->blue->pink->purple on Hugo2).

Detailed setup:

Roon/iPad Pro->USB cable->MScaler->Chord Co Clearway 2BNC cable (made for this setup, dual BNC to dual 3.5 coax)->Hugo2->Meze Empyrean

Some clues:
The MScaler “DX OP” button correctly reflects the input sampling rate matching Roon.
The Hugo 2 Input correctly changes to the light blue color (“Coax dual data mode”)
The sequence follows the "optical" behavior described in the MScaler manual table for optical when I use an optical source (google chromecast audio), as expected.

What am I missing? Is it my source (iPad)?
Any suggestions on what else I can try next?
I'm going to venture a guess that it's the Chord Co Clearway 2BNC cable is only sending half the required. When you say dual BNC to dual 3.5 coax, do you mean it's dual BNC into one 3.5 stereo connector? If it's dual 3.5 connectors and only one is plugged in, you're likely not receiving the full benefits. I suggest trying a different cable. It can be done fairly inexpensively for a trial. One of these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F8QYMXM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and two of these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TKFJ9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #19,461 of 22,475
I'm going to venture a guess that it's the Chord Co Clearway 2BNC cable is only sending half the required. When you say dual BNC to dual 3.5 coax, do you mean it's dual BNC into one 3.5 stereo connector? If it's dual 3.5 connectors and only one is plugged in, you're likely not receiving the full benefits. I suggest trying a different cable. It can be done fairly inexpensively for a trial. One of these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F8QYMXM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and two of these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TKFJ9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks so much for your reply! I was just able to borrow a Hugo TT2 to rule out the MScaler as the issue - and your post got me looking more into the cable and the idea that the Hugo was ony "seeing" a single BNC - turns out this is correct, but possibly by design.

Either I cannot understand the Mscaler manual, or it is incorrect. (I'm starting to think it is incorrect)

With the TT2 connected to the Mscaler, the behavior does not seem to follow table 4.5 of the manual. For example take an input source of 44.1->USB->Mscaler->Dual BNC->TT2, one would expect cycling the "OP SR" button to change the upsampling output from 44.1->176.4->352.8->705.6 (top left of the table). Since the TT2 displays the incoming rate, it's easy to see that the actual behavior when cycling the button in this case is 44.1->88.2->176.4->705.6 (no scenario in the table). The TT2 only recognizes a single BNC input until the final jump to max, in which it picks up that it is a dual source. This behavior is repeatable with other input sampling rates.

Back to the Hugo 2, as this is the Hugo 2 thread, it follows that same behavior. I confirmed by observing the input light - it only changes to light blue when the Mscaler is set to max! The challenge with the Hugo 2 was distinguishing between 352 and 705 via the light (pink vs purple inside light). Where I though the sequence was following the table to 352, it seems it was actually "jumping" to 705. It too seems to only recognize the second BNC input when the Mscaler is set to max. Which again, is not how I'm reading the table in the manual to be expected.

Curious if this is just my experience/Mscaler, or if others have also observed similar. It seems this probably should move over to that thread now that I'm realizing it isn't the Hugo 2 really. But hope this helps anyone else pulling out their hair with the Mscaler Hugo 2 pairing...

Dec 3, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #19,462 of 22,475
Thanks so much for your reply! I was just able to borrow a Hugo TT2 to rule out the MScaler as the issue - and your post got me looking more into the cable and the idea that the Hugo was ony "seeing" a single BNC - turns out this is correct, but possibly by design.

Either I cannot understand the Mscaler manual, or it is incorrect. (I'm starting to think it is incorrect)

With the TT2 connected to the Mscaler, the behavior does not seem to follow table 4.5 of the manual. For example take an input source of 44.1->USB->Mscaler->Dual BNC->TT2, one would expect cycling the "OP SR" button to change the upsampling output from 44.1->176.4->352.8->705.6 (top left of the table). Since the TT2 displays the incoming rate, it's easy to see that the actual behavior when cycling the button in this case is 44.1->88.2->176.4->705.6 (no scenario in the table). The TT2 only recognizes a single BNC input until the final jump to max, in which it picks up that it is a dual source. This behavior is repeatable with other input sampling rates.

Back to the Hugo 2, as this is the Hugo 2 thread, it follows that same behavior. I confirmed by observing the input light - it only changes to light blue when the Mscaler is set to max! The challenge with the Hugo 2 was distinguishing between 352 and 705 via the light (pink vs purple inside light). Where I though the sequence was following the table to 352, it seems it was actually "jumping" to 705. It too seems to only recognize the second BNC input when the Mscaler is set to max. Which again, is not how I'm reading the table in the manual to be expected.

Curious if this is just my experience/Mscaler, or if others have also observed similar. It seems this probably should move over to that thread now that I'm realizing it isn't the Hugo 2 really. But hope this helps anyone else pulling out their hair with the Mscaler Hugo 2 pairing...
1607007920726.png

I tested the OP SR button on mine with a 44.1 signal and it matched the Dual BNC/USB Input column (first column see above). You're expectation appears to be the Single BNC/USB input (second column). With the specialty cable you have or my solution it makes it Dual BNC by design and working as intended.

Dec 3, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #19,463 of 22,475
Ha! Well together we have solved this! Again thanks for your responses.
I'm looking at V1.0 of the manual, where you are using the most recent (ie correct) version! Case closed, mine indeed performs per the screenshot you included, v1.2. Not sure where I pulled it from...
Here's what I was looking at:

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 11.40.18 PM.png

Dec 3, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #19,464 of 22,475
I just purchased a Chord Hugo 2 and I absolutely love it. It's an amazing product. I originally purchased it to pair with my IEMs, but I decided to pair it with my Bottlehead crack and it sounds fantastic. I am now going to use the Hugo 2 as both a desktop DAC as well as a transportable DAC/Amp solution for when I travel or around the house with my IEMs. I'll get more utilization of this phenomenal product this way.

Question. I also have a 2go and I was able to get it running as a streamer and it did the same thing my Mojo did with a poly, dramatically improved the sound quality vs USB. So, my question is this. When running the Chord Hugo 2 as a desktop DAC with the BHC, should I connect it to my Bluesound steamer or leave it attached to the 2go?

I ask for 2 reasons. The main reason is to preserve the batteries in the Hugo 2 and 2go. When plugged in for 24 hours do BOTH the Hugo 2 and 2go enter into desktop mode and stop charging? Or, does the Hugo 2 stay in charge mode when attached to the 2go?

Second, which solution sounds better? I'll A/B test it myself, but I wasn't sure if someone knew which solution sounded better. Bluesound Node 2i paired with Chord Hugo 2 or Chord Hugo 2 with 2go. I use mconnect as the player which is what I use with my mojo/poly. I notice that the sampling rate never gets above 44 or 48 khz with the 2go. The Bluesound gets up to 96khz at least. Not sure how much of a difference that makes.

I am leaning toward connecting the Hugo 2 to the Bluesound node 2i streamer because I know that the Hugo 2 will enter desktop mode as a standalone DAC. And, I prefer the BluOS app to mconnect. It will just be a PINA to connect and disconnect to 2go when I want to transport it.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #19,465 of 22,475
I bought a SP1000 and AMP combo and I also bought a Hugo2. I am completely blown away at how much better the hugo2 is than the sp1000 and amp combo. Its not even a contest. Right now I kind feel cheated. I am almost 100% certain I will get the hugo3 (when it come out) before I get another AK product.

Setup 1: SP1000>SP1000AMP>(Balanced 2.5)Focal Utopia
Setup 2: Note10>(Bluetooth)Hugo2>Focal Utopia

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #19,466 of 22,475
I just purchased a Chord Hugo 2 and I absolutely love it. It's an amazing product. I originally purchased it to pair with my IEMs, but I decided to pair it with my Bottlehead crack and it sounds fantastic. I am now going to use the Hugo 2 as both a desktop DAC as well as a transportable DAC/Amp solution for when I travel or around the house with my IEMs. I'll get more utilization of this phenomenal product this way.

Question. I also have a 2go and I was able to get it running as a streamer and it did the same thing my Mojo did with a poly, dramatically improved the sound quality vs USB. So, my question is this. When running the Chord Hugo 2 as a desktop DAC with the BHC, should I connect it to my Bluesound steamer or leave it attached to the 2go?

I ask for 2 reasons. The main reason is to preserve the batteries in the Hugo 2 and 2go. When plugged in for 24 hours do BOTH the Hugo 2 and 2go enter into desktop mode and stop charging? Or, does the Hugo 2 stay in charge mode when attached to the 2go?

Second, which solution sounds better? I'll A/B test it myself, but I wasn't sure if someone knew which solution sounded better. Bluesound Node 2i paired with Chord Hugo 2 or Chord Hugo 2 with 2go. I use mconnect as the player which is what I use with my mojo/poly. I notice that the sampling rate never gets above 44 or 48 khz with the 2go. The Bluesound gets up to 96khz at least. Not sure how much of a difference that makes.

I am leaning toward connecting the Hugo 2 to the Bluesound node 2i streamer because I know that the Hugo 2 will enter desktop mode as a standalone DAC. And, I prefer the BluOS app to mconnect. It will just be a PINA to connect and disconnect to 2go when I want to transport it.

Have you asked in the 2Go thread, because that would be the best place to?

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #19,467 of 22,475
I bought a SP1000 and AMP combo and I also bought a Hugo2. I am completely blown away at how much better the hugo2 is than the sp1000 and amp combo. Its not even a contest. Right now I kind feel cheated. I am almost 100% certain I will get the hugo3 (when it come out) before I get another AK product.

Try taking optical out from the SP1000 to the Hugo 2.

I take optical output from a Cowon Plenue R2 to the Hugo 2 and it is the best sound I have ever had.

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #19,468 of 22,475

Well, wait till you hear DAVE with Mscaler!

Given how different the AK DAP and the Hugo2 are, what each of them can and can not do and their use cases, then Chord would look a bit silly if the SP1000 sounded better than a Hugo2. If that were the case, then they may as well stop producing the Hugo2 since in terms of functionality, workmanship and looks the AK has the Hugo beat by a country mile, at least in my opinion.

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #19,469 of 22,475

Why are you comparing Hugo 2 versus SP1000?
It looks like SP2000 should be in this fight firstly?..

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #19,470 of 22,475
A question about desktop mode ...

I’ve read the pros and cons of leaving the unit on vs turning off between sessions while in desktop mode. I believe I will turn it off between listening sessions as often I will go >24 hrs without listening.

My question is: when powering on, do you press the power button only or do you simultaneously press the power and x-phd buttons?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back