Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 20, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #18,890 of 22,475
Aug 20, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #18,891 of 22,475
@Matt Bartlett @Mojo ideas

(This post was originally accidentally posted in the TT2 thread, but has been modified quite a bit. It's not now a cross-posting due to multiple updates. Please moderators can you leave this post here.)

Matt, please could you put an idea forward to Chord Electronics.

For those of us who are possibly unlikely to buy a Poly or a 2Go. Like myself I would only ever buy a Poly or 2Go for SD-card playback, so they make little sense. Please could you develop a module for us.

Something like a DAP sized gadget with a screen, but no built-in DAC:

• No internal memory needed, as SD-card playback would be fine.
  • File play-back only, with manual controls. (Either buttons or touch-screen.)
  • USB and/or optical out to Chord DACs, like Mojo and Hugo 2.
  • No streaming technology at all. (No wifi, no bluetooth.)
  • Possible software update capability.
  • Non-custom replaceable battery.
  • Up to 765KHz sampling rate playback.

Last night I was playing back files from a DAP (My Sony ZX300) to Hugo 2. It struck me that what we need is a DAP type gadget, without the DAC. I have Mojo also, so a device not subject to DAC build shape like Poly made to fit Mojo. Just a wire connect for using DACs about the home. …. The point is I am killing the battery in my Sony DAP, and that battery is not easy to replace. Whereas all I need is file-playback fed to your DACs. Also I would love a Chord Electronics designed playback device.

Poly and 2Go are for portable use. However many of us wanted an SD-card playback only Poly type module. It's actually what was originally envisaged by Chord Electronics; separate modules for the Mojo, like SD-card, BT, etc. Until they came up with Poly.

However just a DAP shaped module that connects by wire to DAC would suit the rest of us. … Or at least me.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #18,892 of 22,475

(This post was originally accidentally posted in the TT2 thread, but has been modified quite a bit. It's not now a cross-posting due to multiple updates. Please moderators can you leave this post here.)

For those of us who are possibly unlikely to buy a Poly or a 2Go. Like myself I would only ever buy a Poly or 2Go for SD-card playback, so they make little sense. Please could you develop a module for us.

Last night I was playing back files from a DAP (My Sony ZX300) to Hugo 2. It struck me that what we need is a DAP type gadget, without the DAC. I have Mojo also, so a device not subject to DAC build shape like Poly made to fit Mojo. Just a wire connect for using DACs about the home. …. The point is I am killing the battery in my Sony DAP, and that battery is not easy to replace. Whereas all I need is file-playback fed to your DACs. Also I would love a Chord Electronics designed playback device.

Poly and 2Go are for portable use. However many of us wanted an SD-card playback only Poly type module. It's actually what was originally envisaged by Chord Electronics; separate modules for the Mojo, like SD-card, BT, etc. Until they came up with Poly.

However just a DAP shaped module that connects by wire to DAC would suit the rest of us. … Or at least me.
I have to admit I listen to my Hugo 2 at work with my iPad plugged in so clearly different people have different use cases.
But I'm just very confused as to why 2Go is not the perfect product for SD card playback only. It's smaller than your Sony DAP.
Is it a cost issue? Did you want a screen instead of using your phone to manipulate the playback? Did you just want a replaceable battery (which would add to size and weight and reliability?

My feeling is that the DAP marketplace is so saturated, I can't imagine Chord, as a very small company, being able to compete in that space.
I use my iPad because at home, I only have 5GHz WiFi and at most places, the 2.4GHz WiFi I log onto requires sign-in (not automatic password log-in) and since I mostly listen to Tidal, I know the 2Go is not for my use case. And I have no expectations that Chord would design a product that specifically works for me (and other people in my shoes) because if I think it's that profitable and easy to do, I would have figured out a way to start my own company and manufacture this kind of product and make some good money for myself instead of giving my money to Chord.

But I'm always curious about different people's use cases and why they prefer their DAP and streamers to be the way they want it to be.

Aug 20, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #18,893 of 22,475

Why not just use a Shanling M0 / Q1 or FiiO M3 Pro? They are so cheap that non-replaceable batteries hardly matters.

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #18,894 of 22,475

@GreenBow your wishlist almost describes xDuoo XT10 II Turntable. No dac onboaed and works great with Chord products.

Aug 20, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #18,895 of 22,475
Why not just use a Shanling M0 / Q1 or FiiO M3 Pro? They are so cheap that non-replaceable batteries hardly matters.

It does matter. These gadgets have rare earth metals that should be salvaged, and stuff in screens which is bad for waste.

The fact that batteries are not replaceable in these gadgets is an outcry.

In fact it bothers (the British) Which? consumer magazine to the point who recently changed their review policy. They won't Best Buy a phone without a replaceable battery.

(Ten years too late if you ask me, but better than not at all.)

@GreenBow your wishlist almost describes xDuoo XT10 II Turntable. No dac onboaed and works great with Chord products.

Someone mentioned that one before. I had it on my wishlist for some time. However I am sure it comes with battery that can't be replaced. If the battery can easily be sourced and replaced, I will buy one. (Shame it only supports up to 256GB cards, meaning only might buy one. Not, will buy one.)

With my DAP, I wanted something nice for walks or journeys. I could not help using my DAP with my Chord DACs though. For some reason it seems to punish the battery. I remember when folk were asking about using one of the 25 hour playback Sonys. However it only gave 7 hours in TOG mode to a DAC.

This is why any file-source needs easy battery replacement. Imagine buying a xDuoo XT10 II Turntable, and still using it twenty years away. Instead of just throwing it away and buying another. I get attached to my stuff as it is. I would hate to throw away a file player like a xDuoo, like after two years.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #18,896 of 22,475
Someone mentioned that one before. I had it on my wishlist for some time. However I am sure it comes with battery that can't be replaced. If the battery can easily be sourced and replaced, I will buy one.

This is why any file-source needs easy battery replacement. Imagine buying a xDuoo XT10 II Turntable, and still using it twenty years away. Instead of just throwing it away and buying another. I get attached to my stuff as it is. I would hate to throw away a file player like a xDuoo, like after two years.

I know what you are talking about, however within 20 years time frame there will be definitively some advancements in technology, even if in audio market bleeding edge technology is often used to describe technology dating back few decades. But 20 years ago CDs and files were in completely different spot for example. File formats were different too. Processing power, etc. As far as XDuoo is concerned its single charge cycle provides few more hours than Mojo can provide. Using it quite often I do not find any battery degradation over time so far. It drains battery quicker if you use a lot of screen but if you have properly setup playlist this should not be an issue.

Actually I love XT10 II due to lack of dac. It gives me freedom of SQ and signature selection. It even has build in EQ. The only drawback from my end is that if you are into headphone equalization and you are using software like Audeze Reveal+, Morphit or Sonarworks is is not available in this case but Morphit is available for Adroid devices.

Aug 20, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #18,897 of 22,475
I know what you are talking about, however within 20 years time frame there will be definitively some advancements in technology, even if in audio market bleeding edge technology is often used to describe technology dating back few decades. But 20 years ago CDs and files were in completely different spot for example. File formats were different too. Processing power, etc. As far as XDuoo is concerned its single charge cycle provides few more hours than Mojo can provide. Using it quite often I do not find any battery degradation over time so far. It drains battery quicker if you use a lot of screen but if you have properly setup playlist this should not be an issue.

Actually I love XT10 II due to lack of dac. It gives me freedom of SQ and signature selection. It even has build in EQ. The only drawback from my end is that if you are into headphone equalization and you are using software like Audeze Reveal+, Morphit or Sonarworks is is not available in this case but Morphit is available for Adroid devices.

Even with whatever is coming. … Someone would still be using a xDuoo XT10 II Turntable in twenty years, if the battery was easy to replace. … Imagine if they put updatable software on it.

I have a sixteen year old pocket-DAB, and you can still buy easily-fit rechargeable batteries for it. By some miracle unbeknown to me, the original battery is still holding a full charge.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #18,898 of 22,475
Even with whatever is coming. … Someone would still be using a xDuoo XT10 II Turntable in twenty years, if the battery was easy to replace. … Imagine if they put updatable software on it.

I have a sixteen year old pocket-DAB, and you can still buy easily-fit rechargeable batteries for it. By some miracle unbeknown to me, the original battery is still holding a full charge.

Actually you can update firmware on Xduoo. I have done it myself. Just upload update files to sd card and run update.

Aug 20, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #18,899 of 22,475
Actually you can update firmware on Xduoo. I have done it myself. Just upload update files to sd card and run update.

Am very tempted to buy the Xduoo Turntable. Then live on 'hope and prey' that I can source a battery in the future. … Although 'hope and prey' isn't working out for my Sony DAP.

I just took a peek on YouTube and it seems Xduoo are easy to open: that's a great start. … I know I could end up with another gadget with no battery one day. It will save my DAP battery for now though. … I don't know.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #18,900 of 22,475
Am very tempted to buy the Xduoo Turntable. Then live on 'hope and prey' that I can source a battery in the future. … Although 'hope and prey' isn't working out for my Sony DAP.

I just took a peek on YouTube and it seems Xduoo are easy to open: that's a great start. … I know I could end up with another gadget with no battery one day. It will save my DAP battery for now though. … I don't know.

Have you thought of buying two Xduoo’s and should battery fail in the future, undo the second one!!!

I’m not defending products with un-replaceable batterys. But it’s the way of the world now and with Apple and Samsung selling billions of such products, it’s not about to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back