Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 8, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #16,982 of 22,537
Hi,
Could someone help to point out, as to where a Hugo 2 can be bought in the US with a discount from the retail price of $2695. All the sites, seem to sell it at full price.
-- Thanks
I went with the used option, don't know if you're open to that. But it's a reasonable way to get the Hugo at a much lower price point.

Sep 9, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #16,983 of 22,537
I went with the used option, don't know if you're open to that. But it's a reasonable way to get the Hugo at a much lower price point.
Thank you. I too found a 3 month old Hugo 2 for about $1800, planning to go ahead with it.

Sep 9, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #16,986 of 22,537
I anyone eying up the new Naim amplifiers? Supernait 3, and Nait XS 3.

They are said to be fast, rhythmical, and with proper bass. (Apparently earlier Naims' went a bit bass lighter, to get more speed. The new ones are also fast low down as well as being bassy though.)

Just wondering what folk might think about a Chord - Naim pairing. I am not necessarily thinking buying one, but am interested what folk might be wondering. If Chord Naim would pair well. I think so, but I doubt I would blind buy even if I bought. There are only a couple of reviews in anyway, but it looks hot so far. I keep re-reading these two reviews I have to try to get more from them. Still not sure though.

There was one fascinating aspect I learnt from the new Naim amp launch. It's ties with what Rob Watts was discussing about all analogue electronics being microphonic. Naim have introduced less microphonic parts in to the amps. If you google for the new amps and dig a bit, you'll find the information. There is a list of the upgrades over the previous amps.

Like this one line from the Naim Nait XS 3 website. (Microphonic-isolating PCB mounts.)

I think it makes a case for proper hifi racks and why they should have damping for the shelves.

HiFi Choice review. https://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/files/HFC_454_InDepth_Naim_Reprint.pdf

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #16,988 of 22,537
Focal and Naim both owned by sister company Vervent Audio. I wonder where the name Naim comes from.

Sep 9, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #16,989 of 22,537
I remembered another source of desktop speakers for use with Chord DACs. The Dynaudio: LYD 5, LYD 7, and LYD 8. They are studio monitoring systems, so I imagine they will have a fairly neutral response.

https://www.dynaudio.com/professional-audio/lyd

They are amplified, so not the Chord DAC powering the speakers. I think they are actually bought separately, like you can buy one. Obviously we'd buy two. I think they attach to the DAC by simply one RCA cable, and that's really handy.

I think there are specific aspects about them though, that make them a good buy for desktop users. Firstly they are designed to work up against a wall on a desk. I think they are tuneable on the back for different placements. They also have some frequency boost, but that actually might be the tuning. I think they can go quite loud too. They review well by studio enthusiast reviewers.

Dynaudio are very successful at awards too, so it stands to reason that the LYD systems would be good. They won awards with their recent Emit range, and the recent limited edition Special Forty. I will be watching to see how their new Evoke range does in reviews. …… I can vouch for the Dynaudio sound too, as I run the Emit M10. It's great even at very low volumes, so perfect for desktop. Stood on foam, they perform perfectly for desktop.

For space saving though, I can't see how the Dynaudio LYDs could be a bad idea. I think it's also better to run one RCA to each speaker. I think that's how it works, that each speaker is individually powered. I'd prefer that to running an RCA to a master speaker, and then speaker cable to the satellite speaker. One less cable in the chain has to be a good thing.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #16,990 of 22,537
For use with TT2 i would have to have small passive monitors with absolutely no room for manoeuver on that.

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #16,992 of 22,537
For use with TT2 i would have to have small passive monitors with absolutely no room for manoeuver on that.

Listen to a few more first before casting that in stone. Small passive monitors can be some of the hardest to drive and you might ultimately prefer a few (a lot) more watts up their backside.

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #16,993 of 22,537
Headphones really give me freedom as i live in a house with other flats. Night-time speaker listening would be impossible. Years ago i had a dual turntable, nad amp and celestion 3 speakers with the titanium domes. Beasts.

celestion-3_550.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #16,995 of 22,537

You are a real purist. I have about 300 Watts of room to maneuver myself and would not have it any other way.

I didn't see much point posting about the Dynaudio LYD in the TT2 thread. Most TT2 users would have higher quality monitors than LYD anyway. Many TT2 owners are also reading the Hugo 2 thread, so all bases covered thanks.

As Hooster said, it would depend on how much power the user wanted. I have not tried running my speaker direct from the TT2, but I intend to experiment with that. I have bought the plugs, but mean to soon get some quality cable to make adapters with. (I know I can use cheap cable, but no thanks.)

However the deal with Hugo 2 or Mojo power levels might not be enough volume for passive speakers. (Also for Qutest.) Secondly most passive speakers would not work up against a wall. Whereas the LYD have that taken in account. (As I said.) Thirdly since we often get asked about desktop speakers and/or active speakers, I realised I never mention the LYD. Plus like I said, you only need an RCA, so no more wired needed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back