Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 7, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #16,681 of 22,535
I just received my Hugo 2 today and am loving it so far, but there's one weird quirk with it that I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced.

The bluetooth connection out of anything other than my iPhone XS sounds great, just as you'd expect. For some reason when it's connected to my iPhone through bluetooth it sounds terrible; it's like a 5 year old bluetooth headphone with insane compression, weird artifacts, and other signal degradation. It's not like that's the end of the world, I can always use it with bluetooth on my laptop, but I was kind of looking forward to being able to use it with my phone.

Hi, in my humble opinion bluetooth and Hugo2 don't make any sense together. You are paying a lot of money for this dac and the reason for that must be the sound quality. I don't think the build or design is that appealing, but that of course is again my opinion. So, why would anyone want to flush that sound quality down the toilet by using bluetooth? Bluetooth is inevitably going to degrade the sound quality of the Hugo2, no matter what you are using it with and you would probably be just as well served with a far cheaper dac if you are going to be using it chiefly with bluetooth.

Aug 7, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #16,682 of 22,535
Hi, in my humble opinion bluetooth and Hugo2 don't make any sense together. You are paying a lot of money for this dac and the reason for that must be the sound quality. I don't think the build or design is that appealing, but that of course is again my opinion. So, why would anyone want to flush that sound quality down the toilet by using bluetooth? Bluetooth is inevitably going to degrade the sound quality of the Hugo2, no matter what you are using it with and you would probably be just as well served with a far cheaper dac if you are going to be using it chiefly with bluetooth.
I'd have to give a big +10 to that. Blutooth may have been put there for convenience, but after spending can$2,869 for it, I'm certainly wouldn't waste it on poor sources.

Aug 7, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #16,683 of 22,535

Bluetooth isn’t my main setup, that’s just the couch solution for me.

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #16,684 of 22,535
Because if no announcement comes in about 2Go, I may get a DAP and am researching.

I like the ZX300 for its battery life. However I am not sure I would buy another, because it has EU volume limiting. Every now and again music stops playing and it beeps four times. The screen displays a message saying something about the volume limiter. You have to press to continue, and then have to turn the volume back up.

One thing I like a lot about the ZX300, is that it has the same tonal presentation as the Mojo. The Mojo beats it in every other aspect, flat out, like dynamics and details.

I see the point of the Poly now though, and the 2Go, as I think it can stream redbook. Still not sure I would buy either though.

Aug 7, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #16,685 of 22,535
I like the ZX300 for its battery life. However I am not sure I would buy another, because it has EU volume limiting. Every now and again music stops playing and it beeps four times. The screen displays a message saying something about the volume limiter. You have to press to continue, and then have to turn the volume back up.

One thing I like a lot about the ZX300, is that it has the same tonal presentation as the Mojo. The Mojo beats it in every other aspect, flat out, like dynamics and details.

I see the point of the Poly now though, and the 2Go, as I think it can stream redbook. Still not sure I would buy either though.
It better be able to put out a lot better than redbook. Especially with Qobuz offering hi-res streaming.

Aug 7, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #16,686 of 22,535
Question for those folk lucky enough to have a new model ipad or ipad pro, the ones with a USB C port instead of a lightning connector.

Does Hugo 2 work on those new ipads, if so, what is needed to connect them both, just an Apple USB-C CCK kit ?

Or is it something else, a link to the exact item would be cool, as I notice apple have a few different types of CCK kit.

Thanks
Yes, it does. You need the USB-C Digital AV Multiport or the USB-C to USB Adapter. Either one of these will work with the newest iPads to allow you to connect to the Hugo 2

Aug 8, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #16,687 of 22,535
Aug 8, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #16,688 of 22,535
You're a star, thanks for that :wink:
No problem. I did try to use a USB-C cable directly out of my iPad before I got the USB-C Digital AV Multiport. I wanted to see if Apple would allow this functionality. But no such luck. If you’re planning on getting the USB-C Digital AV Multiport to charge and play at the same time check around before buy directly from Apple. I got an authentic one off of eBay for a lot cheaper.

Aug 8, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #16,689 of 22,535
No problem. I did try to use a USB-C cable directly out of my iPad before I got the USB-C Digital AV Multiport. I wanted to see if Apple would allow this functionality. But no such luck. If you’re planning on getting the USB-C Digital AV Multiport to charge and play at the same time check around before buy directly from Apple. I got an authentic one off of eBay for a lot cheaper.

Cool,

Yeah the av multiport is £75 over here, thats crazy prices. I did think that a usb c to micro usb cable might of worked, but then I remembered I was dealing with an apple device.

The other one is just £19.99, much cheaper than the av multiport.

Thanks again!

Aug 8, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #16,690 of 22,535
Try the air 3 or non pro versions? then no worries.

Aug 8, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #16,691 of 22,535
I think I'm relieved I never got into the Apple prison. And after hearing more and more about Apple, I think I'll continue in that vein.

Aug 8, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #16,692 of 22,535
Optical playing roon bit perfect from my imac to mscaler is crystal clear.

Aug 8, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #16,693 of 22,535
I think I'm relieved I never got into the Apple prison. And after hearing more and more about Apple, I think I'll continue in that vein.
I have to agree and I've been using an iPhone since the 3GS model. It sucks that they want to keep everything proprietary and limit their music format to AAC. They don't even support APT-X or APT-HD while using bluetooth. So the best way to enjoy an iPhone or iPad is to always be jacked into my Hugo 2.

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #16,694 of 22,535
Because if no announcement comes in about 2Go, I may get a DAP and am researching.
Look at the last gen Kann. It has 2 memory cards and you would only use it as a transport. I believe the low sale price new on those was 799 us so you may be able to pick one up for less.

Aug 9, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #16,695 of 22,535
just pick up a used ak 120 for a couple of hundred bucks with 2 micro sd slots....cant be beat for use as a transport

Users who are viewing this thread

Back