Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 26, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #15,872 of 22,475
That makes sense now thankyou Rob. The special quality inherent in these 768 files is down to timing accuracy to a larger degree if i remember correctly?

For Rob, am i also right in saying the special quality found in 768 files is also present in 705.6 kHz files? ie 44.1*16.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #15,874 of 22,475
Mar 26, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #15,876 of 22,475
We are going to have to wait for M scaler capable FPGAs to come down in price for that to happen. No signs of that at the moment I am afraid....

Well, I’ll have to add a Chord account to he “rainy day fund.” :L3000:

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #15,878 of 22,475
Well, I’ll have to add a Chord account to he “rainy day fund.” :L3000:

There are one or two second user MScalers that have been coming on the market with a big saving on new so keep a look out once you have some money in the rainy day fund.

Apr 1, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #15,882 of 22,475
Is there a break-in period necessary for Hugo 2? While detail resolution/detail level is really astounding, I find a certain lack of musicality a bit disturbing, at least compared to Mojo...
I sometimes think that this elusive something we call musicality might be the lower resolution or accuracy of a product such as the Mojo, when stacked against the Hugo2. I think your brain is what might have to burn in a little before you find the musicality that is there in droves.

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #15,883 of 22,475
I purchased a Supra Micro USB cable for my Hugo 2, based on @Scrum92 's recommendation. For $50, I must say it is a really nice cable. I once purchased an AQ Cinnamon cable, but the cable was stiff that it put some stress on the Hugo2's micro USB port, as I had to twist the cable in order to insert into Hugo2's flipped micro USB port. Supra may be thicker than the AQ Cinnamon, but it is more supple. So the cable doesn't put as much stress on the micro USB port.

As for the sound, compared to a $5 USB cable from Monoprice, Supra helps lift a veil and make the notes sound decompressed, which results in instruments appearing with slightly better transparency. The presentation as a whole is also slightly clearer and provides a slightly blacker background. There seems to be a slight improvement in the stage size, but I am not too sure about it. It is not a warm sounding cable, but it helps remove edginess from the treble slightly, while retaining the details. So it can be considered as a cable that falls slightly on the smoother side.

As for how easy it is to perceive the difference between the 2 cables, on a 1-10 scale, with '1' = very minute difference that you would need a completely silent room and, '10' = the difference is night and day, the difference between the Monoprice USB cable and the Supra cable can be said to be around '3' = you can hear the difference if you listen closely with a transparent IEM/headphone.

Verdict: For $50 I think the cable is definitely worth it.

Purchase link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supra-USB-...473823?hash=item5d891f13df:g:bNAAAOSweWVXeHKA

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #15,884 of 22,475
I purchased a Supra Micro USB cable for my Hugo 2, based on @Scrum92 's recommendation. For $50, I must say it is a really nice cable. I once purchased an AQ Cinnamon cable, but the cable was stiff that it put some stress on the Hugo2's micro USB port, as I had to twist the cable in order to insert into Hugo2's flipped micro USB port. Supra may be thicker than the AQ Cinnamon, but it is more supple. So the cable doesn't put as much stress on the micro USB port.

As for the sound, compared to a $5 USB cable from Monoprice, Supra helps lift a veil and make the notes sound decompressed, which results in instruments appearing with slightly better transparency. The presentation as a whole is also slightly clearer and provides a slightly blacker background. There seems to be a slight improvement in the stage size, but I am not too sure about it. It is not a warm sounding cable, but it helps remove edginess from the treble slightly, while retaining the details. So it can be considered as a cable that falls slightly on the smoother side.

As for how easy it is to perceive the difference between the 2 cables, on a 1-10 scale, with '1' = very minute difference that you would need a completely silent room and, '10' = the difference is night and day, the difference between the Monoprice USB cable and the Supra cable can be said to be around '3' = you can hear the difference if you listen closely with a transparent IEM/headphone.

Verdict: For $50 I think the cable is definitely worth it.

Purchase link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supra-USB-...473823?hash=item5d891f13df:g:bNAAAOSweWVXeHKA

I’ll second @EagleWings, I also purchased the Supra, based on the recommendations in this Thread. Additionally, I purchased their glass Optical Cable, both cables sound terrific, and are light and supple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back