Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 1, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #15,887 of 22,467
I’m curious as to opinion of best headphones using Hugo 2 for classical (specifically orchestration) music?

I’m enjoying both the E2 and ZMF Vérité a great deal with the H2 with jazz and classical.

Apr 1, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #15,888 of 22,467
For anyone looing for expensive closed back headphones, Focal recently released the Stellia.

What HiFi reviewed it as the best closed back they have heard.
I’m curious as to opinion of best headphones using Hugo 2 for classical (specifically orchestration) music?

Good that other folk have advised you, because I don't know. I buy all-rounder equipment, because I have no musical preference. Nor have any genre of music which I listen to more. I go through fazes through, when I will listen to more of one genre, then another etc.

I personally would advise against buying headphones for one genre. Bit like I would not say buy Beats for 'drum and bass'. I particularly would advise against buying thinner or brighter headphones for classical too. You don't want thin headphones to get through the layers of music, to focus on one or more instruments. If you do, there will just be a thin sounding instrument waiting for you. You want fully resolving headphones to represent each instrument (or instrument group) evenly, and completely. .. Well, that's my advice anyway.

Apr 1, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #15,889 of 22,467
Depends on the budget. Maybe hd650 if you want to spend £200 or less...
I say that because I have both them and Hd800s and although the later is much wider soundstage - in essence they sound fairly similar, especially if you’re on a budget.
Note, it would be a mistake to take any advice from me on headphones or audiophileness.

Apr 1, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #15,890 of 22,467
I’ve always loved Beyerdynamic T1 but wondered if I was missing something. For whatever reason, I’ve found myself only on one genre the last few months.

Or...maybe it’s just the 2Go $ biting a hole in my pocket?

I’d like to demo the 800S

I sometimes look for consensus at head fi.

Thus far, I’ve never found one; not in any topic.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #15,891 of 22,467
How about a Grado for Classical? When I got my first Grado, I listened to a violin competition from Montreal on CBC. It was a long time ago, but I remember it as moving. Some complain about the treble of the brand. But, I like my current PS1KE for classical.

Apr 2, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #15,892 of 22,467
How about a Grado for Classical? When I got my first Grado, I listened to a violin competition from Montreal on CBC. It was a long time ago, but I remember it as moving. Some complain about the treble of the brand. But, I like my current PS1KE for classical.

I’m glad you said that @UELong, I think the PS1000e are often under appreciated. They may not be the most accurate and faithful to the source headphones on the planet, but they are very musical and a joy to listen to.

For accuracy and realism I personally find the Aeon Flow Closed hard to top. They are up there for me as one of the great hifi bargains of all time, along with Mojo and the Chromecast Audio. To think how far just owning these three items alone would get you, is quite staggering, and for relatively little investment, in the context of this hobby.

Apr 2, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #15,895 of 22,467
Does anyone have RCA interconnects they would recommend for the Hugo 2?

Blue Jeans Cables' RCA cables are very good, but may be a bit too bulky and stress inducing for the Hugo 2's RCA connectors. I am using AQ's Golden Gate RCA and I would recommend it. I haven't really done any sound comparison with other cables. I just wanted a reliable cable from a reliable brand, that is also light and flexible enough that it doesn't put any stress on the RCA connectors of Hugo2.

Otoh, if you want the best in terms of sonic quality and are flexible with your budget, you may want to talk to @Rhamnetin . He's tried some very nice RCA cables with his H2.

Apr 2, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #15,898 of 22,467
Is there a break-in period necessary for Hugo 2? While detail resolution/detail level is really astounding, I find a certain lack of musicality a bit disturbing, at least compared to Mojo...
Some owners do find they need a break-in period for their ears and brain to get used to processing so much musical fine detail.
How long have you had the Hugo 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back