Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 3, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #13,036 of 22,535
My issue happened where the unit had been in desktop mode and had not been unplugged. It had been running for several weeks and then one day it just started overheating and shutting down and restarting on its own. The unit was only two months old at that point. Fortunately for me Jason at the source was able to get me in touch with the regional distributor who was a lot more sympathetic to me than my dealer.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #13,037 of 22,535
Dont know about anyone elses H2, mine was in desktop mode, stopped listening to music and used the remote to turn it off, everything good, it starts charging/topping the battery up as indicated by the white charging light, about 45 minutes later something caught my eye and I turned around and noticed hugo charging light was white and flashing, flashing slowly, 1 flash every few seconds.

I turned off the charger, waited 5 minutes and then turned the charger back on and no flashing.

Anyone else exp that ?

As for overheating, never experienced it with H2 in the van nuys case, charging and playing or just playing via the batteries, however I have experienced the thermal cutout with mojo, mostly when playing and charging and in its case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 3, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #13,038 of 22,535
Dont know about anyone elses H2, mine was in desktop mode, stopped listening to music and used the remote to turn it off, everything good, it starts charging/topping the battery up as indicated by the white charging light, about 45 minutes later something caught my eye and I turned around and noticed hugo charging light was white and flashing, flashing slowly, 1 flash every few seconds.

I turned off the charger, waited 5 minutes and then turned the charger back on and no flashing.

Anyone else exp that ?

As for overheating, never experienced it with H2 in the van nuys case, charging and playing or just playing via the batteries, however I have experienced the thermal cutout with mojo, mostly when playing and charging and in its case.

Mine get’s warm but has not overheated - I often leave it in my bag when I’m out and about. I’ve never had the flashing. What type of charger are you using?

Jun 3, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #13,039 of 22,535
I had the same problem. Chord straight away wanted to give me a new unit. However my dealer was very resistant to this. After much back and forth between me and the dealer I finally got the local distributor involved and they forced my dealer into giving me a new unit. I will not be going back to that dealer again. However this does seem to be a issue that others are dealing with as I experienced the exact same thing.
Glad to hear from someone who's had a similar experience. If this continues to happen I am going to contact the dealer in my country and if they aren't helpful I'll take it up with Chord.

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #13,041 of 22,535
So I got the chord fully charged and it's plugged in to power and playing. Now begins a 24 he wait for it to go into desktop mode. (For petes sake, why 24 hrs? Why not just let it go into desktop mode as soon as the battery is fully charged? )
I am afraid to leave it alone for a longer period and step out of the house ( baby sitting a 2200 euro dac????!!!) So now I've got a table fan blowing directly onto it.
Fingers crossed ....honestly to say that I'm ticked off would be understating it.

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #13,043 of 22,535
. (For petes sake, why 24 hrs? Why not just let it go into desktop mode as soon as the battery is fully charged? )

Desktop mode maintains the battery at a lower charge level so it wouldn’t be very convenient if you want to disconnect the dac and take it for mobile use with a fully charged battery.

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #13,044 of 22,535
if your unit is damaged just write the company. they were very responsive.

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #13,045 of 22,535
So I got the chord fully charged and it's plugged in to power and playing. Now begins a 24 he wait for it to go into desktop mode. (For petes sake, why 24 hrs? Why not just let it go into desktop mode as soon as the battery is fully charged? )
I am afraid to leave it alone for a longer period and step out of the house ( baby sitting a 2200 euro dac????!!!) So now I've got a table fan blowing directly onto it.
Fingers crossed ....honestly to say that I'm ticked off would be understating it.

Have you considered placing some isolation feet underneath the Hugo 2?

The airflow should help with any heat issues.

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #13,047 of 22,535
if your unit is damaged just write the company. they were very responsive.
Thanks for the input, I will write them once I've fully investigated all possibilities. Right now I'm waiting for it to go into desktop mode and then I'll let it run without the help of a fan and see if there is a repeat shutdown.

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #13,048 of 22,535
Hi guys,

I've never experienced thermal shutdown like @Luvdac has, but I can say my unit in desktop mode is always warm/hot to the touch even when not in use. Measuring with a thermometer I get 45° Celsius Degree of the case temperature.

I've already putted rubber feet beneath the Hugo 2 to increase airflow and I use only the stock charger (before I used iFi iPurifier).

The million dollar question is:
- is it better to keep the unit in desktop mode at 45°, so that the battery will stay at the recommended setting without damaging it;
- or is it better to keep the Hugo 2 off to allow cooldown?

... ... ...
The semiconductors inside Hugo 2 are rated at a min of 150 deg C; nothing gets anywhere near that, as thermal cut-off is at 60 to protect the batteries. And from a reliability POV, it is thermal cycles (on-off heat changes) that damage semiconductors, not keeping things warm. My power amp has been on for 26 years and is still perfect (it even survived a complete drenching from a thunder storm) and I guess the OP transistors die temp is greater than 70 deg C; if I had turned it on/off all the time I doubt it would be still working.... Hugo 2 is 2.25W whilst not charging; I guess in standby mode and trickle charging it will be about 3W total.

@Rob Watts in light of your post above, I get that a constant temperature of 45/50° Celsius degree is not gonna be a problem for battery/internals, isn't it?

Decisions decisions...

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #13,049 of 22,535
Audeze says 1-4W for all their lineup, even the very efficient XC. Don’t fall in to the marketing trap of paying for more (unused) power vs quality (implementation). Make sure there is enough with some headroom (ie., 80% max volume).

You can calculate the power needs for your headphone at different listening levels here:

http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html

Insert the impedance and the sensitivity. For planar dynamic headphones you typically don’t need to worry about the headphone’s impedance curve changing over the frequency band because, as a purely resistive load, it will be flat. For dynamic headphones it’s good to know if the impedance curve changes over the frequency band. For example, the Audioquest Nighthawk has a very flat impedance curve, but the Utopia’s impedance curve peaks just over 300 Ohm at 50Hz but then levels off to around 80 Ohm at 1kHz.

Back to the LCD-3 this is the power required for SPL peaks using the above calculator:

As you can see it doesn’t need megawatts to make you deaf, despite what the marketing would say. For reference here is the power specs for the Mojo and Hugo2:

Mojo

70mW - 300 Ohms
600mW - 32 Ohms
720mW - 8 Ohms

Hugo2

94mW - 300 Ohms
740mW - 33 Ohms
1050mW - 8 Ohms

Hugo2 has about 25% more power available and both devices have a max of 500mA of Current delivery (more than enough) for the LCD-3. There are devices like the iFi iDSD BL that output 4W max (peak@16 Ohms) and 1.56W (continuous@ 64 Ohms). That kind of power output will be unused by most headphones but there are a few that need that kind of power, like the Hifiman Susvara, depending on how loud the music is played.
Google ‘amplifier headroom’.

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #13,050 of 22,535
Mine get’s warm but has not overheated - I often leave it in my bag when I’m out and about. I’ve never had the flashing. What type of charger are you using?

Only saw it flashing white that one time and I was using the charger that came with H2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back