Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 31, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #13,021 of 22,546
Nope wasn't about that. Are you claiming that these are Full Speed 12 Mbit/s 2.0 USB cables. That would be news to me : )

I was more talking about certified (90 ohm impedance) than speed, since the question was about certified.

The question was about optical cables and certified USB cables (I think?)

I could be wrong and have misunderstood the original question.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #13,022 of 22,546
4A9C62DC-60EC-420B-9426-CECD7D1444B4.jpeg
I use Hugo 2 as pure DAC, and it never let me down. Last week I replaced my iMac27 with a raspberry pi 3b+(With a decent linear psu and running moode audio 4.1, play dsd via WiFi connection ) and use usb connected to hydra z usb bridge, then use coaxial to Hugo 2. It’s sounds much much better than iMac! When use iMac, I added intona usb isolator and UpTone regen to optimize usb output, and still beaten by the low cost raspberry pi! When connect raspberry pi with intona and UpTone regen, dramatic improvement confirmed. Here is my system setup: raspberry pi with linear psu -> intona with linear psu->UpTone regen with linear psu and ifi dc purifier-> audiobyte hydra z with ultra cap psu-> Hugo 2 coaxial with ifi spdif purifier(linear powered )->headphone amp. IMO the raspberry pi , intona and ifi spdif purifier are the best performers, the effects are significant and positive!

Jun 2, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #13,023 of 22,546
I’m looking for a short term source for the hugo 2, primarily to act as a roon end point.

Would a second hand iPhone 6, for about £120 probably be the best bet?

I don’t want to tie up my own phone, and once 2go comes out, I may get that, or I may get tt2.

But yes, can anyone recommend inexpensive sources, that prob support roon, but if not, can take a 400gb sd card.
Not sure whether it would be best if it also supported optical, if hugo2, sounds best with optical.

This is just for listening - stationary - around the house, sofa, bed, office, so element of portability helps, but open to advice.

Or just use my laptop, via usb, tiny bit bulky is all.

Jun 2, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #13,024 of 22,546
I’m looking for a short term source for the hugo 2, primarily to act as a roon end point.

Would a second hand iPhone 6, for about £120 probably be the best bet?

I don’t want to tie up my own phone, and once 2go comes out, I may get that, or I may get tt2.

But yes, can anyone recommend inexpensive sources, that prob support roon, but if not, can take a 400gb sd card.
Not sure whether it would be best if it also supported optical, if hugo2, sounds best with optical.

This is just for listening - stationary - around the house, sofa, bed, office, so element of portability helps, but open to advice.

Or just use my laptop, via usb, tiny bit bulky is all.
iPhone with camera kit is a easy solution, take the camera kit with power in so you can charge the phone while playing music. Recommend you use Hiby player, it supports dsd file via local network, in that case you can store your music file on your pc or NAS and play on iPhone. In addition, could use LH labs usb revive to optimize the usb output by camera kit, I know it is nothing more than a battery powered usb hub, but it dose take the sq to a whole new level. Also you can use a raspberry pi, the setup can be little bit tricky but the 50 USD investment is unbelievably worthy.

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #13,025 of 22,546
For the first time today my hugo 2 went into thermal shutdown. Admittedly it's a really warm day today but indoors is around 32c. I've read elsewhere on the thread about people having similar problems. It's got me worried as I live in a hot country. Anyone here care to chime in?. This happened with the stock charger plugged in and playing. Tried an ifi 5 v charger, same issue. And yes, the Hugo is pretty hot after one hour of play/charge time

Jun 3, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #13,026 of 22,546
For the first time today my hugo 2 went into thermal shutdown. Admittedly it's a really warm day today but indoors is around 32c. I've read elsewhere on the thread about people having similar problems. It's got me worried as I live in a hot country. Anyone here care to chime in?. This happened with the stock charger plugged in and playing. Tried an ifi 5 v charger, same issue. And yes, the Hugo is pretty hot after one hour of play/charge time
I believe if you leave it plugged in for 24 hours it goes into desktop mode where it bypasses the charging circuits. That might help with the heat issue.

Jun 3, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #13,027 of 22,546

Was the Hugo2 fully/pretty well charged before you started listening or was the battery fairly run down and had to try to charge whilst listening? This might make a difference to how hot it gets. Just an idea.

Jun 3, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #13,028 of 22,546
I believe if you leave it plugged in for 24 hours it goes into desktop mode where it bypasses the charging circuits. That might help with the heat issue.
Thanks for writing in. I had it plugged in for over two weeks in desktop mode without an issue. It's just today that I thought to give the battery a go. After about two hours I replugged it and it went into shutdown an hour later. All said and done, workaround or not, a 2200 euro dac shouldn't do this! I totally Love the sound but maybe Chord should have done some more testing on the heat front. I'm also concerned about the longevity of the electronics with so much heat generation.

Jun 3, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #13,029 of 22,546
Thanks for writing in. I had it plugged in for over two weeks in desktop mode without an issue. It's just today that I thought to give the battery a go. After about two hours I replugged it and it went into shutdown an hour later. All said and done, workaround or not, a 2200 euro dac shouldn't do this! I totally Love the sound but maybe Chord should have done some more testing on the heat front. I'm also concerned about the longevity of the electronics with so much heat generation.

Do you have the Hugo in a case?

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #13,031 of 22,546
Why shouldn't a 2,200 Euro DAC do that? I'd rather it protected itself from extreme stress, than burn itself out. If it gets hot while charging and listening, do one or the other. Every device that I have, heats up to some point while charging and being used at the same time. Most, if not all products have a recommended 'best temperature' usage.

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #13,032 of 22,546
Why shouldn't a 2,200 Euro DAC do that? I'd rather it protected itself from extreme stress, than burn itself out. If it gets hot while charging and listening, do one or the other. Every device that I have, heats up to some point while charging and being used at the same time. Most, if not all products have a recommended 'best temperature' usage.
It's absolutely great that there is a cut off circuit in the Hugo. What's not great is that it needs it. I think that Chord in their wish to make a transportable dac overlooked the need for a good heat sink. Again I want to stress it's a GREAT dac. It's got me rediscovering my entire music collection. I'm experiencing the same joy as when I heard a top end turntable through vintage altec lansing horn speakers. It's not the sound under judgement here but it's operational stability under normal circumstances. Extreme stress? 32c ambient room temp? Hardly the Saharan desert.

Jun 3, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #13,033 of 22,546
It's absolutely great that there is a cut off circuit in the Hugo. What's not great is that it needs it. I think that Chord in their wish to make a transportable dac overlooked the need for a good heat sink. Again I want to stress it's a GREAT dac. It's got me rediscovering my entire music collection. I'm experiencing the same joy as when I heard a top end turntable through vintage altec lansing horn speakers. It's not the sound under judgement here but it's operational stability under normal circumstances. Extreme stress? 32c ambient room temp? Hardly the Saharan desert.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-369#post-13591076

Jun 3, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #13,034 of 22,546
I had the same problem. Chord straight away wanted to give me a new unit. However my dealer was very resistant to this. After much back and forth between me and the dealer I finally got the local distributor involved and they forced my dealer into giving me a new unit. I will not be going back to that dealer again. However this does seem to be a issue that others are dealing with as I experienced the exact same thing.

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #13,035 of 22,546
I had the same problem. Chord straight away wanted to give me a new unit. However my dealer was very resistant to this. After much back and forth between me and the dealer I finally got the local distributor involved and they forced my dealer into giving me a new unit. I will not be going back to that dealer again. However this does seem to be a issue that others are dealing with as I experienced the exact same thing.
I think that Chord should publish a document that focuses on 'best practice'.
Some of that 'practice' is generic for Chord dacs powered by battery, eg 'do not play and charge from red at the same time'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back