Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 4, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #13,051 of 22,546
I have also experienced the thermal shutoff issue early on when I first charged the unit. I was in a rush and wanted to listen at the same time. After that initial big charge I have kept it "topped up" and have not experienced thermal shutdowns at the same time as playing since (no shutdowns at all). Not sure if it was related to the bigger extended charge from scratch or not but once fully charged I really didn't have the issue again, so I think you have hope.

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #13,052 of 22,546
Thought I'd ask the Chord team about some of your concerns regarding heat issues, they are travelling at present but I managed to get a reply though it was stressed that they hadn't viewed thread but will do when possible, I've put some answers below.

The most common problem is that customers do not fully charge Hugo2 before use and then play and charge at the same time which can't always keep up so eventually the batteries run flat and Hugo2 switches off. - It also generates a lot more heat if Hugo2 is trying to fast charge and play at the same time. - If Hugo2 is fully charged then you play and charge then you are only trickle charging which reduces the temperature.

Obviously if you are really concerned about a problem please contact your Dealer in the first instance, if you are unhappy with their response, send me a message & I'll get in touch with the team, cheers.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #13,053 of 22,546
My issue occurred when the unit was fully charged and in desktop mode period after having been on for several weeks.

Jun 6, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #13,055 of 22,546
Rob watts has on more than one occasion recommended leaving the unit on at all times. However I don't think that's the best idea for this particular unit because that's what causes it to overheat and shut down.

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #13,057 of 22,546
Rob watts has on more than one occasion recommended leaving the unit on at all times. However I don't think that's the best idea for this particular unit because that's what causes it to overheat and shut down.

@Rob Watts, any reason in particular you would recommend 24/7 powered on for the Hugo 2? Seems like a waste of energy (albeit it very little) as well as increased charge/discharge cycles even when in desktop mode.

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #13,058 of 22,546
Do people normally leave their Hugo 2 powered on 24/7? I always turn mine off when not in use, but leave it plugged in for desktop mode.
Yes. I turn mine off when not in use. I find it can warm up at various times. I acknowlege what Rob said, but I can't bring myself to leave it on. He said he had an amp that has been on for 26 years. I know from studio work, that leaving boards and consoles running is essential. But, I just can't do it to my Hugo2.

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #13,059 of 22,546
I turn the new one I have off because I don't trust it after the problems I had with the last one that was replaced.

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #13,060 of 22,546
Yes. I turn mine off when not in use. I find it can warm up at various times. I acknowlege what Rob said, but I can't bring myself to leave it on. He said he had an amp that has been on for 26 years. I know from studio work, that leaving boards and consoles running is essential. But, I just can't do it to my Hugo2.

Same here. This last Sunday I listened for about 6 hours throughout the day (over the course of 8 hours or so) and you can tell when reserves get too low and it begins to charge because it will heat up more than I'm used to seeing, even during a 2-3 hour listening session.

Jun 6, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #13,061 of 22,546
This is what confuses me.

I have my H2 power cord plugged in at the wall and turned on so that hugo starts charging, after 24 hours of being plugged in, h2 then goes into desktop mode. I understand that part.

Now, what confuses me is this.

For us to get the rough estimate of 2 decades of battery life that was quoted by Chord if Hugo 2 is always kept in desktop mode.

Do we

A, leave hugo 2 in standby mode. ( which is, the power lead plugged in at the wall and turned on, but H2 itself is turned off )

Or

B, the Hugo 2 power lead needs to be plugged in and turned on at the wall, and, Hugo2 also needs to be turned on as if we were playing music.

Both ways are technically desktop mode, but the manual just says, after 24 hours of charge, hugo 2 will enter intelligent desktop mode and the battery will neither be charged or discharged. Auto shutdown will be disabled in this mode.

It says the battery will not be charged or discharged ?

Even though I see a pink coloured power button which indicates hugo 2 is in desktop mode, if after Iistening to music I use hugos remote to turn it off, the battery starts charging for atleast 1 hour, usually more and thats from full charge.

So I dont understand why it would do that if the battery was fully charged and being used in desktop mode.

I would of thought that when in desktop mode, battery power would remain the same since no charging or discharging takes place, as per what the manual states.

It would be good if we can get things clarified with regards to no charge/discharge taking place in dsktop mode and which if any of the two ways will result in maximum battery life ?

C61786B7-8E4E-4A46-9D70-263E6DD81D28.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 6, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #13,062 of 22,546
Turn the thing off

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #13,063 of 22,546
Turn the thing off

Cool.

I dont suppose you know what a slow white blinking power light on hugo means ? Flashing once every 3 or so seconds.

I saw it flashing one time when it was on charge, turned the charger off, waited five minutes and plugged the charging cable back in and the flashing didnt reappear.

I have no idea what it means.

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #13,064 of 22,546
Cool.

I dont suppose you know what a slow white blinking power light on hugo means ? Flashing once every 3 or so seconds.

I saw it flashing one time when it was on charge, turned the charger off, waited five minutes and plugged the charging cable back in and the flashing didnt reappear.

I have no idea what it means.
First thought is:
With some of the Chord DACs, it can be caused by a smart charger, going into a trickle charge phase during the final stage of charging. Unfortunately this trickle charge can sometimes fall below the minimum current needed by the DAC, so it starts flashing.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #13,065 of 22,546
First thought is:
With some of the Chord DACs, it can be caused by a smart charger, going into a trickle charge phase during the final stage of charging. Unfortunately this trickle charge can sometimes fall below the minimum current needed by the DAC, so it starts flashing.

I have only used the supplied charging plug/cable that came with Hugo 2.

If the flashing does mean falling below minimum current needed to charge, that could of been the problem as I recall the house lights dimming a few times this year, feb - march, maybe when that happened, for a fraction of a second it confused Hugo and caused it to flash.

Its good to know what the flashing white light means.

If it happens again, I will try using my anker charger which is good for 4.8amps, but I think/hope it was just a brief cut/lowering of the current during those days that the lights dimmed

It works great, so I dont think anything is damaged or broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back