Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 9, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #11,491 of 22,475
I brought Musicday's Omega Juniors 8s. Nice man to deal with! Now running them in feed by my Hugo 2

Sitting on our sofa Wednesday night after just having picked them up and just putting them down in our sitting room, no real set up, with my Mother in law, wife and 3 teenagers. Various genres of music being chosen and listened to.
My Mum in Law is late 60s and sung in choirs all her life and still a member of 2 and I put on Vivaldi Stabat Mater with Andreas Scholl for her, she has heard him live many times, and she was amazed how really live the system sounded! Huge credit and thank you to Louis and Rob Watts!

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #11,493 of 22,475
Mar 10, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #11,494 of 22,475
Or you need speakers with a similar sensitivity as headphones have, then you can get away with driving them directly.

Mar 10, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #11,495 of 22,475
Could someone tell me how some of the guys here in this thread connect their passive speakers to the Chord Hugo 2?
Could I use the Hugo 2 to drive these for example? http://www.harbeth.co.uk/hifi-speakers/p3esr.php

Those are 83dB sensitivity which is not high by any standards. I tried Dave driving two driver 98dB speakers and was not impressed. In fact I stopped after 3 minutes. So I would say you have no chance of Hugo2 driving those Harbeths direct and that a power amplifier will be needed. Then it should sound wonderful. They are nice speakers.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #11,496 of 22,475
Bought a SMS-200 and after some setup troubleshooting and learning to use apps like Linn Kinsky and MiniminServer, enjoying the superb sound quality with Hugo 2.

Need to figure why some songs don't play. Love the sound quality.

SOtM SMS-200 or iMac (Audirvana Plus) > usb to Chord Hugo2 > AudioQuest NightHawk, Hifiman HE560. Control: LINN Kinsky iphone app.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #11,498 of 22,475
I’ve recently acquired a Hugo 2 and, having had a bit of time with it now, I am impressed. I didn’t think that I’d ever get a Hugo myself but, having been using a Poly with my Mojo for a while now, I realised that a Hugo plus the 2Go when it arrives is going to be the way ‘to go’.

Having a MojoPoly and a BluDave, it has been interesting to assess the four different levels in the Chord DAC hierarchy and compare them. The BluDave is just phenomenal whilst the Mojo is the star of the show in terms of its performance to price/size ratio. Having said that, I think that Hugo 2Go when it arrives will be a real game changer.

The functionality is very good, but I don’t think that I’ve really figured the filters on the H2 out yet. The most important aspects to me have always been accuracy and transparency and, with each press of the filter ball, I seem to get progressively less of both so I am sticking with no filter so far.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #11,499 of 22,475
I’ve recently acquired a Hugo 2 and, having had a bit of time with it now, I am impressed. I didn’t think that I’d ever get a Hugo myself but, having been using a Poly with my Mojo for a while now, I realised that a Hugo plus the 2Go when it arrives is going to be the way ‘to go’.

Having a MojoPoly and a BluDave, it has been interesting to assess the four different levels in the Chord DAC hierarchy and compare them. The BluDave is just phenomenal whilst the Mojo is the star of the show in terms of its performance to price/size ratio. Having said that, I think that Hugo 2Go when it arrives will be a real game changer.

The functionality is very good, but I don’t think that I’ve really figured the filters on the H2 out yet. The most important aspects to me have always been accuracy and transparency and, with each press of the filter ball, I seem to get progressively less of both so I am sticking with no filter so far.
I also stay on the white setting. I noticed a bit of transient blurring or softness on the 16FS settings; as well as the staging a little undefined. i.e. listen to an acoustic piano especially the bass notes, which seem to be a bit bloated and spread out with the orange/red filters.

Mar 11, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #11,502 of 22,475
People who use the X-PHD - Is it always on, or do you use it only in specific recordings? How do you choose? Which setting do you use and why?
For me, 9 out of 10 times when I tried it and then turned it off, I preferred it off. It seems like with the cross feed you can lose some details in sounds that are positioned "behind your head", and in general there's more happening in the stereo image without it.
Nevertheless, I decided to just keep it on for a full listening session and I think I'm starting to understand its magic. It makes for a much more relaxed listening and in the least it gives you a different perspective to recordings you know well.

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #11,505 of 22,475
People who use the X-PHD - Is it always on, or do you use it only in specific recordings? How do you choose? Which setting do you use and why?
For me, 9 out of 10 times when I tried it and then turned it off, I preferred it off. It seems like with the cross feed you can lose some details in sounds that are positioned "behind your head", and in general there's more happening in the stereo image without it.
Nevertheless, I decided to just keep it on for a full listening session and I think I'm starting to understand its magic. It makes for a much more relaxed listening and in the least it gives you a different perspective to recordings you know well.

It is mainly for use with old recordings that have instrument tracks put in the left or right channel to give them something resembling a regular stereo image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back