Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 21, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #11,116 of 22,546
Sorry I have the Super 8XRS, but have had them for about 5 months and they started singing in 3-4 days. One tip, the thicker the gauge on your speaker wires, you will get a bigger and deeper bass especially with the H2 with its 1watt output. No need for audiophile cables just any thick copper

With my buddy's Compact Alnico Monitors, they really didn't settle in and really sing until after 150 hours (I had them in a casita facing each other, out of phase, playing continuously). It was actually interesting to hear them go through different phases of break in (better then worse then better in a different way, etc) When fully broken in, the sound field (esp. depth) really is incredible, esp. in near field.

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #11,117 of 22,546
does having the charger plugged in whilst playing cancel out the galvanic isolation from an optical input. no usb in is connected just optical?

Feb 21, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #11,118 of 22,546
Looking for good closed cans for my Hugo 2, but Omega discussion here interests me. Hugo 2 puts out around one watt and Omega website specs say speakers (discussed here) amping minimum of 2 watts. Thinking half recommended minimum amping surely equates to drop in impact with much reduced volume and use only in smallest of rooms? Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 21, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #11,121 of 22,546
Looking for good closed cans for my Hugo 2, but Omega discussion here interests me. Hugo 2 puts out around one watt and Omega website specs say speakers (discussed here) amping minimum of 2 watts. Thinking half recommended minimum amping surely equates to drop in impact with much reduced volume and use only in smallest of rooms? Am I missing something?
If 1 W from Hugo 2 is not enough for you to drive Omega speakers there is always Dave with 2 W output for better performance.
Rest assured if your speakers are very efficient Hugo 2 will make them sound amazing. Don't worry too much.

Feb 21, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #11,122 of 22,546
With my buddy's Compact Alnico Monitors, they really didn't settle in and really sing until after 150 hours (I had them in a casita facing each other, out of phase, playing continuously). It was actually interesting to hear them go through different phases of break in (better then worse then better in a different way, etc) When fully broken in, the sound field (esp. depth) really is incredible, esp. in near field.
I agree on the depth and the ambience as I also listen in a near field setup. I used a burn-in track from an audiophile speaker setup by 2XHD and kept it looping 24/7.

Feb 21, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #11,123 of 22,546
If 1 W from Hugo 2 is not enough for you to drive Omega speakers there is always Dave with 2 W output for better performance.
Rest assured if your speakers are very efficient Hugo 2 will make them sound amazing. Don't worry too much.
H2 is very capable in driving the Omegas. Yes Dave is better but not by much, don’t listen to Dave and enjoy the amazing little box.

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #11,126 of 22,546
H2 is very capable in driving the Omegas. Yes Dave is better but not by much, don’t listen to Dave and enjoy the amazing little box.

Ditto this. 1W is surprisingly satisfying with the Omegas (95DB sensitivity for my Omega Super Alnico Monitors, and 98dB sensitivity for @musicday 's Junior XRS8's), My new Voxativ's have 104dB sensitivity, and the 2W from my DAVE drive them to frighteningly high room shaking levels (far louder than I can handle). 1W from the Hugo2 would be more than enough with these speakers.

It is amazing what these high efficiency drivers are capable of doing. Really astonishing to hear the 2 channel experience a tiny box like the Hugo2 is capable of producing (this is double and triple take stuff...like something has been sent back in time from the future)

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #11,127 of 22,546
Ditto this. 1W is surprisingly satisfying with the Omegas (95DB sensitivity for my Omega Super Alnico Monitors, and 98dB sensitivity for @musicday 's Junior XRS8's), My new Voxativ's have 104dB sensitivity, and the 2W from my DAVE drive them to frighteningly high room shaking levels (far louder than I can handle). 1W from the Hugo2 would be more than enough with these speakers.

It is amazing what these high efficiency drivers are capable of doing. Really astonishing to hear the 2 channel experience a tiny box like the Hugo2 is capable of producing (this is double and triple take stuff...like something has been sent back in time from the future)
Did you receive your Voxatives? These must be very special! I would like to add an Mscaler at some point before I upgrade the Omegas.

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #11,128 of 22,546
Did you receive your Voxatives? These must be very special! I would like to add an Mscaler at some point before I upgrade the Omegas.

Quite special! I've been grinning from ear to ear for the past week, and (re)learning all I've learned about full range speakers and high efficiency speakers. The details, resolution, dynamics, presence, tonal balance, and physicality are *completely* next level. I am very early in this process, but capturing notes on the journey to share, but again, I'm delighted and humbled to be hearing with beginner's ear (again!)

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #11,129 of 22,546
Quite special! I've been grinning from ear to ear for the past week, and (re)learning all I've learned about full range speakers and high efficiency speakers. The details, resolution, dynamics, presence, tonal balance, and physicality are *completely* next level. I am very early in this process, but capturing notes on the journey to share, but again, I'm delighted and humbled to be hearing with beginner's ear (again!)

It will be great once you have had some good time with the Voxatives to share more details about what really distinguish these speakers from others. You know it is not easy to audition Voxative speakers unless you are willing to book a trip specifically for that.

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #11,130 of 22,546
Absolutely. I had to take a day trip from San Diego to Dallas to audition these (Thankfully, I was able to get my Blu2, DAVE, and Hugo2 and pile of cables through security with only three TSA agents gathering to figure out what the hell they were :wink:

Interested folks in SoCal, drop a PM. Happy to host you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back