Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 20, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #11,086 of 22,475
If it is not bit-perfect, then iOS is re-sampling the files, which you don't want. Best to use Onkyo HF Player for playback.

The problem is either one of two things: Re-sampling (see my answer to the previous question) or noise from your iPhone getting into the Hugo 2, which comes out as harshness to the sound.

Gotcha. Problem is I only listen to streaming music through Tidal or Spotify cuz there’s basically no such thing as high-res, downloadable, modern electronic music out there. That’s why I was wondering about app enabled DAP optical output SQ. Also, would the DAP model matter SQ wise since I’d essentially be using it for digital output only which would bypass its internal dac?

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #11,087 of 22,475
Interesting to know other people have felt the same as you mentioned, something at play with the ferrites making the sound too dark but unknown why and not everyone seems to get it from the reports but for you it’s only benifits.

Really has me wondering but I’m not going to stay hung up on it I will return the ferrites and stick to my “naked usb” or optical.
The experiment suggests there's something wrong with your optical-only configuration, because the effect of the ferrites is in the "correct direction". The ferrites can't change the bits, so for me the puzzle is why is your simple optical setup "brighter" than the USB with ferrites. It shouldn't be, but I can't work out what else might cause a sound quality change with your optical setup.

In a more complex system (especially with speakers) you have to consider every aspect of system setup when you change the sound of the source. e.g. Changing the speaker positioning normally results in huge differences and a large change in the sound of a source may require moving the speakers again.

I primarily run iPhone—>CCK—>Hugo 2 which gives quite the noticeable amount of siblance in the upper treble range. When running H2 out of my laptop’s USB the siblance is much less and actually sounds more like a slight grain to the upper treble which is still distracting on a lot of songs. My questions are..for those of you who use DAPs with optical output, does it sound smoother in the highs vs. usb? Is there any difference in SQ at all vs. iPhone/CCK? Will it fix my treble siblance/grain issue? Cuz if so I’ll buy one.
Hugo 2 comes with an optical cable. Does your laptop have an optical output you can try?

Optical will minimise sibilance problems, but the music and the headphones can still cause sibilance problems.

Optical won't support sampling rates higher than 192KHz by the way.

Could it be there is something either wrong with my drivers or the unit itself? I keep getting very slight pops when starting a song or or skipping a bit ahead, like its not properly loaded in or something after a few second they disappear and even then they tend to reappear through the song whether its with ASIO or not doesn't matter, the only one that seems to handle it better in foobar2k is WASAPI (Event) which performs without pops throughout. Sample rate and bit rate doesn't matter either, it's really puzzling since my other amps/dacs don't have problems with USB.
Chord's driver has a problem here, I proved this with Hugo TT originally - since TT has an input that doesn't use the Chord driver and there is no problem in that case.

It varies: on some computers this problem doesn't occur. WASAPI (event) in my experience is perfect, as you have found. I think there's some kind of interaction between the Chord driver and the USB sub-system, something to do with power management or priority or interrupts? Also, perhaps related to the way that a Chord DAC takes a couple of seconds at the start of a track to complete its lock-on to the sample rate? Dunno.

My computer at work sometimes MEGA stutters outputting USB to my Mojo and it's clearly because that computer is struggling with something else at the same time.

It seems the newest patched version of Windows 10 can work with Hugo 2 without the Chord driver being installed (though you might then lose ASIO and WASAPI support, I'm not sure). I haven't tried de-installing the Chord driver on my computer to see if my DAVE still works. I rarely skip around tracks manually and the pops don't always occur, so it doesn't really bother me.

Now playing: Loma - Sundogs

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #11,088 of 22,475
Gotcha. Problem is I only listen to streaming music through Tidal or Spotify cuz there’s basically no such thing as high-res, downloadable, modern electronic music out there. That’s why I was wondering about app enabled DAP optical output SQ. Also, would the DAP model matter SQ wise since I’d essentially be using it for digital output only which would bypass its internal dac?

Here is another alternative that I can recommend for you Kyle. Get a Chromecast audio and ifi ipower 5v PSU.

It will stream tidal and spotify bitperfectly and you can use your iphone to control the songs.

The ifi psu takes away the edginess / noise found in the included smps and makes the sound more relaxed and transparent. Powering it with a battery gave better results than the stock psu but doesn't compare to the ifi powering it.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #11,092 of 22,475
Chord's driver has a problem here, I proved this with Hugo TT originally - since TT has an input that doesn't use the Chord driver and there is no problem in that case.

It varies: on some computers this problem doesn't occur. WASAPI (event) in my experience is perfect, as you have found. I think there's some kind of interaction between the Chord driver and the USB sub-system, something to do with power management or priority or interrupts? Also, perhaps related to the way that a Chord DAC takes a couple of seconds at the start of a track to complete its lock-on to the sample rate? Dunno.

My computer at work sometimes MEGA stutters outputting USB to my Mojo and it's clearly because that computer is struggling with something else at the same time.

It seems the newest patched version of Windows 10 can work with Hugo 2 without the Chord driver being installed (though you might then lose ASIO and WASAPI support, I'm not sure). I haven't tried de-installing the Chord driver on my computer to see if my DAVE still works. I rarely skip around tracks manually and the pops don't always occur, so it doesn't really bother me.

Thanks! My PC is quite a hefty workstation so it doesn't really have problems with loads, but I think it's indeed some weird quirk with ASIO, problem is that I can't select WASAPI in Tidal for example but my local library should be fine. Maybe desktop mode will correct it, but I'll have to wait a few hours for that. If that doesn't work I'll try reinstalling or just deleting the driver altogether.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #11,093 of 22,475
Yeah it should be fine but I doubt it will do anything to improve the sound of Hugo 2, I couldn't hear any difference when Hugo 2 was plugged in or on batteries.

But the Ifi ipower does improve the source component.

Whoa that’s a solid idea. I’ll look into that for sure. Would a decent DAP like Fiio X7ii or X5iii make any improvement in SQ over that setup though? I know we’re talking about purely digital outputs here but who knows..

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #11,094 of 22,475
Whoa that’s a solid idea. I’ll look into that for sure. Would a decent DAP like Fiio X7ii or X5iii make any improvement in SQ over that setup though? I know we’re talking about purely digital outputs here but who knows..

FWIW, the Chromecast Ifi setup sounds more clear ,transparent, and musical to me then my x5 iii running a Dyson coax cable into my Mojo. I'm pretty sure if I got a better cable for the x5 the gap would be closer but right now there is a big gap and the Chromecast is ahead and not by a little! And on top of that your iphone as a remote control will always be more responsive than the Fiio which ime can sometimes slow down and take a little longer than it should.

The whole setup cost <$100 and if you're like me and listen to streaming services 99% of the time for the money this setup is hard to beat.

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #11,095 of 22,475
FWIW, the Chromecast Ifi setup sounds more clear ,transparent, and musical to me then my x5 iii running a Dyson coax cable into my Mojo. I'm pretty sure if I got a better cable for the x5 the gap would be closer but right now there is a big gap and the Chromecast is ahead and not by a little! And on top of that your iphone as a remote control will always be more responsive than the Fiio which ime can sometimes slow down and take a little longer than it should.

The whole setup cost <$100 and if you're like me and listen to streaming services 99% of the time for the money this setup is hard to beat.

Ok I’m sold. Definitely gonna try it out. Thanks for the idea! Source is definitely the audible weak link in my system. I knew when I heard a Mojo/Poly combo in Audeze’s room at CES sounding waaay more refined in the highs than my Hugo 2 something was up. Now this has me wondering about the generic power cable I’m using on my WA22. I think I snatched it from my old printer lol. Any recommendations?

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #11,096 of 22,475
Ok I’m sold. Definitely gonna try it out. Thanks for the idea! Source is definitely the audible weak link in my system. I knew when I heard a Mojo/Poly combo in Audeze’s room at CES sounding waaay more refined in the highs than my Hugo 2 something was up. Now this has me wondering about the generic power cable I’m using on my WA22. I think I snatched it from my old printer lol. Any recommendations?

Yeah Poly is a definitely a great source component and when paired with Mojo the level of transparency is hard to beat, I had a tour MojoPoly for a week and even though there is a learning curve when it comes to usability the sound quality was fantastic! The Ifi chromecast combo has a similar level of clarity although I wish I had Poly on hand so I could better compare them.

I don't use an additional amp with my Chord Dac's so I have no need for an additional power cable but the differences between different power cables aren't often that big, system synergy plays a big role as well.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #11,097 of 22,475

What is the ifi chromecast setup? Which ifi product?

Feb 21, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #11,099 of 22,475
Yeah Poly is a definitely a great source component and when paired with Mojo the level of transparency is hard to beat, I had a tour MojoPoly for a week and even though there is a learning curve when it comes to usability the sound quality was fantastic! The Ifi chromecast combo has a similar level of clarity although I wish I had Poly on hand so I could better compare them.

I don't use an additional amp with my Chord Dac's so I have no need for an additional power cable but the differences between different power cables aren't often that big, system synergy plays a big role as well.

Ahh ok. Well my interest is piqued anyway. Cheers!

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #11,100 of 22,475
Just experiencing with Omega speakers for the first time. As you can see they are connected directly to Hugo 2 and the volume is on blue and is plenty for near field listening. Very transparent sound, great depth and the instrument separation is incredible for single 8 inch speaker.
I am using Qed original performance cable for who is interested.
Looking forward to more changes in sound after 150 + hours as the speakers settle in. As i find out a subwoofer is not needed for my listening situation.
Give Omega speakers a try if you can and own a Hugo 2 or Dave, you will not be disappointed.
So far I am pleased with the sound and is incredible once again what Hugo 2 can do on his own.
Very versatile and worth every penny.

20180221_123612.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back