Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 2, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #10,666 of 22,475
I'm embarrassed to admit I need to use Windows, but I'm unable to find the Windows 7 drivers. Can anybody share a working download link for the Windows driver?

Update - found it! Sorry for my limited internet-searching skills :wink:
I'm NOT embarrassed to use Windows. If Mac provided accessibility equal to Windows in the first place, I would have used it. I get really tired of elitists snearing about windows; it works fine with familiarity. Take pride in your usage thereof.

Feb 2, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #10,667 of 22,475
I replied to post earlier, expressing my surprise to folk still commenting that they find the Hugo 2 thin or bright. ... However after a rethink, I recommend strongly trying something like the AudioQuest Jitterbug, if you are using USB. I put one on my PC USB port when I had the Mojo, and instantly heard it mellowed the sound. I never gave another second thought and when I bought the Hugo 2, I left it on my PC. Meaning I never even heard the Hugo 2 without the Jitterbug.
I found the Jitterbug and the Regen both seemed to improve my Hugo1's listening experience, and I also went to Hugo2 without removing them. My first track, a 44.1k rip, with LCD-X, was beautiful. I know AQ is held up to some ridicule, due to their possibly fraudulant demos of their various levels of cords and effects. But, in the case of JB, well, I think they made something worthwhile.

Feb 2, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #10,668 of 22,475
I'm NOT embarrassed to use Windows. If Mac provided accessibility equal to Windows in the first place, I would have used it. I get really tired of elitists snearing about windows; it works fine with familiarity. Take pride in your usage thereof.
I'm glad it works for you Kevin. I've not had all that much joy with Windows throughout my life. Actually, I have a problem right now with drop-outs, playing foobar2000 on Windows 7 via the Hugo 2. Fraction of a second drop-out every 30 s or so. Anybody else had this problem?

Feb 2, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #10,669 of 22,475
I'm glad it works for you Kevin. I've not had all that much joy with Windows throughout my life. Actually, I have a problem right now with drop-outs, playing foobar2000 on Windows 7 via the Hugo 2. Fraction of a second drop-out every 30 s or so. Anybody else had this problem?
I haven't noticed drop-outs at all. Any details about your setup you could add?

Feb 2, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #10,670 of 22,475
I haven't noticed drop-outs at all. Any details about your setup you could add?

64-bit Windows 7 Pro with service pack 1, 2.7 GHz Intel CPU with 8 Gb RAM. Latest stable version of foobar2000 (v 1.3.17). It's glitchy. Same Hugo 2 that works perfectly with all my other devices. I noticed that right after the driver install, its Windows output config defaults only to 48 kHz sample rate, but I've checked all the boxes there and the H2 is seeing 44 kHz output (which is what I'm testing now - 44/16 FLAC).

Any Windows 7 users have any thoughts or suggestions?

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #10,671 of 22,475
64-bit Windows 7 Pro with service pack 1, 2.7 GHz Intel CPU with 8 Gb RAM. Latest stable version of foobar2000 (v 1.3.17). It's glitchy. Same Hugo 2 that works perfectly with all my other devices. I noticed that right after the driver install, its Windows output config defaults only to 48 kHz sample rate, but I've checked all the boxes there and the H2 is seeing 44 kHz output (which is what I'm testing now - 44/16 FLAC).

Any Windows 7 users have any thoughts or suggestions?
Are you using ASIO or Wasappi (not sure of the spelling)? I'm using ASIO and it works with any bitrate. Just a guess.

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #10,672 of 22,475
All this talk about interconnects got me thinking about a brilliant set I have sitting in a drawer at home. If you are looking for a set to pair with your Hugo 2, let me know. I have the Morrow MA-5 Reference terminated with Eichmann Silver RCA (for a perfectly snug fit with Hugo) which sell for $600 new. I just had a set of Cardas Clear interconnects re-terminated to fit the Hugo, so the Morrow's are sitting in a drawer right now. If I'm being honest, the Morrow interconnects sounded just as good as the Cardas Clear at a third the price, they just aren't as sexy. In my opinion, the Cardas Clear was a better match with the Hugo than Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7 (I saw someone else here recommend) feeding my Hegel amp, which says more about the Morrow MA-5 than it does anything else...at a fraction of the price.

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #10,673 of 22,475
Today is going to be an amazing hifi day.
One friend and I are going to spend all the day testing a lot of headphones and configurations.

Headphones
+ Pioneer Master
+ LCD-X
+ LCD-4
+ Focal Utopia
+ 800s
+ Zeus XRA

DAC/AMP
+ Hugo2
+ AK300

AMP
+ Simaudio Moon 430HA

Source
+ Macbook pro
+ Ak300
+ Tidal, Roon,...

I will share a summary specially talking about how h2 is dealing with those headphones :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #10,674 of 22,475
Hi, this may sound stupid, but I was wondering if any of you guys could compare the minimal volume setting of Hugo 2 and Mojo and let me know which is louder?

I'm asking this because I'm considering upgrade from Mojo to Hugo 2, but since Hugo 2 has higher output than Mojo, I'm afraid the lowest volume would also be higher. I usually listen at very low volume, especially in the evening, and for some very sensitive BA iems (such as Andromeda), the lowest volume on Mojo is already the loudest I could take. So if Hugo 2 has significantly higher lowest volume than Mojo, I may look elsewhere for the moment.

Yes I know an IEMatch could probably fix it all, but I prefer my Andros straight out of the Mojo (low OI) than with the IEMatch (higher OI).

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #10,676 of 22,475
Got my Hugo 2 this morning,I'm one of those weirdo's were I've cleaned the house from top to bottom and now I've finished I'm gonna unpack it and connect it to my phone for now and run it in,still waiting on my Chord clearway digital cable bnc to phono 3.5 mm so can't use my Hugo 2 in the main system until it arrives Next Week.Can't wait to listen now,Christmas has come early.I've plugged the Hugo 2 into the mains and a white light comes on,but when I power up it will switch itself off again,thought I could use it powered so am I right in thinking I need to charge batteries first with being brand new?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #10,677 of 22,475
I'm one of those weirdo's where I've cleaned the house from top to bottom...

Do you do house calls...my house is a mess...both my wife and I are packrats...

LOL...

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #10,679 of 22,475
I've got everything connected up but it sounds distorted? I've put my Samsung s8+ developer on and put usb to audio source is that right ?As I'm listening I can turn the volume up on the Samsung so isn't by passing the dac or phone amp,I pay for tidal hi-fi so do I need to download an App for it all to work ?I've downloaded usb audio player pro,works perfectly now in hi-fi mode from tidal,thank you me

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #10,680 of 22,475
I know nothing about sound stage,sub bass to mid bass how one bleeds into the other,treble roll off at whatever frequency,prat,I could look each word up and study it and listen for it but would it be like an actor who is in a film, doesn't enjoy watching their own films because they dissect every part of the film and know how it was put together,I just listen and if it sounds more enjoyable than what I've Got I'll buy it,I couldn't review a product but I enjoy better quality music and I'm loving my Chord Hugo 2.I'm thinking if I bought my focal utopia with the Chord Hugo 2 which wasn't out at the time but say I waited,would I of sold the Utopias ?I'm thinking maybe I lost something using my trilogy 933 to drive them rather than direct through the Hugo 2,I'll never know

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back