Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 4, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #10,681 of 22,464
2 questions for fellow hugosexuals.

Can the Hugo 2 go into desktop mode with 1A?
And what does it mean when the charging ball blinks on and off? This happens a lot with mine.

I don't think it'll work with 1A. When I tried that the battery ran out playing back all day.

Also posted in Dave thread, hope is alright with the moderators.

I don't know where people get the idea that the moderators automatically read every single post on the site (which amounts to thousands per day). If you have a question for the moderators, or wish them to see something, you either have to report the post or PM one of them.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #10,682 of 22,464
Today is going to be an amazing hifi day.
One friend and I are going to spend all the day testing a lot of headphones and configurations.

Headphones
+ Pioneer Master
+ LCD-X
+ LCD-4
+ Focal Utopia
+ 800s
+ Zeus XRA

DAC/AMP
+ Hugo2
+ AK300

AMP
+ Simaudio Moon 430HA

Source
+ Macbook pro
+ Ak300
+ Tidal, Roon,...

I will share a summary specially talking about how h2 is dealing with those headphones :wink:

Hello headfiers!

As we expected, yesterday was an amazing day!

We spent all the day enjoying with several configurations and tests using some of the best headphones and equipments in the market.

Of course there is a long highway ahead if you enter in the Dave and Blu2 road but this "street" is not bad at all :-D

Just some disclaimers before starting:
  • This is not a review.
  • We bought all the equipments.
  • No brand or store supported us.
  • Our opinions are totally subjective.
  • Moon 430HA is on sales forum since some days ago because my lifestyle requires more portable solutions.
  • Sorry for my English :wink:

ZEUS XRA + AK300 vs ZEUS XRA + Hugo2
You can read my opinions here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emp...rmerly-earwerkz.786335/page-698#post-14002727
Just to sum up, Zeus XRA with Hugo2 is amazing compared to AK300 but not perfect because of the hiss.
If you are going to listen rock, house or some "noisy" music in no so quiet environments, Hugo2 is perfect.
But if you love jazz, small bands and enjoy the music at night in the silence of your room, then AK300 (with lower detail, huge stage and zero hiss) will be a better option IMHO.

800s

I have tested these headphones a lot during the last 8 months combined with AK300 + Moon, Hugo2 + Moon and just Hugo2. But I was interested in discovering if my opinions match or not with my friend ones.

He started with AK300 alone through 2.5mm balanced connection. Volumen 80-90 of 130. You can hear them but...

Then he connected 800s to the Moon using 4 pines XLR balanced connection, using AK300 as a DAC with a 2.5mm line out cable to the double XLR balanced input of the Moon. And of course the improvement was huge in all senses. Can you live with this configuration? Of course! Specially if you never test another DAC :wink:

Time to change AK300 and plug in the Hugo2 but keeping the Moon and... OMG! what happened?! This is incredible better. Now the music engages you much more. And not only for a more detailed sound. Transparency, clarity, stage,... This is a global and huge improvement.

Finally we tested 800s directly connected to Hugo2 without the Moon.
What was the result? You get all the sound that H2+Moon gives you but with a little extra of transparency. It is no so much. It is necessary to pay attention and choose the right songs but definitely it is there.

So after this first test, my friend and I have the same opinion.
  • The improvement from AK300 as a DAC to the Hugo2 as a DAC is huuuuuuugeeee.
  • Moon gives you more "power" without taking almost nothing... but in this case with 800s + H2 you don`t need that extra power (in our humble opinion).
  • We both prefer the 800s directly to the Hugo2. (notice that I said prefer, no it is better or similar)

FOCAL UTOPIA
Time to jump to the Focal Utopia. My friend has this headphone for several months but in my case just since two weeks.

We decided to focus our tests trying to compare H2 + Moon vs H2 alone and the results were different from what we got with 800s.
  • Both of us were not able to discover any change in the sound comparing those configurations.
  • 800s seems to be more sensible to the equipment you put in the chain than Focal Utopia.
  • Moon demonstrates again to be an amazing transparent amp not changing at all the sound that the Hugo2 creates... but it is not necessary to put it in the chain for Focal Utopia.

AUDEZE LCD-4
Ok headfiers. This is what most of you were waiting for... and we know it :wink:

My friend has the LCD-4 for several years ago. In my case it was the second time I tried them. And of course we tried to compare again H2 + Moon vs H2 alone.

So I put the LCD-4 on... Ok, nice touch but heavier than the previous ones. In any case the carbon headband is essential to enjoy them because the weight is distributed and you don't feel them in one point over you head.

First I connected LCD-4 to the Hugo2 alone.
Volumen level: between green and cyan depending on the track in my case, a little more for my friend.

My first impressions:
More sub bass than Utopia.
The stage is more narrow than Utopia but more deep too.
I could't say that LCD-4 are less detailed than Utopia but definitely the sound profile is different.
Bad news for my pocket: you can live with both of them at the same time :frowning2:

Regarding Hugo2, nothing to say. Enough power to listen at insane volumen levels.
Let's see what happened connected to Moon. Low gain and volumen at 50-55.

My friend looked at me and he discovered immediately that expression in my face: F....K !!!!!
Remember what we said regarding 800s? Ok now it was the opposite. Moon clearly was giving to me an extra with the LCD-4. I am not going to say better sound, but an extra that made me enjoy with them definitely more.

So I took out the LCD-4 to check if the opinion of my friend was the same or not.
And again... F....K!!!!

So just to sum up:
  • We both prefer the sound of the LCD-4 using H2 + Moon than only using the H2.
  • The differences are there, specially with chords and bass.

AUDEZE LCD-X

I have never tested this headphone before. My friend bought it several years ago.
He has the LCD-X with the standard band, not the carbon one... and you notice it a lot.

These are the more easy to drive headphones we tested during all the day.
Red levels using H2 and 30 in low gain using the Moon.

I have to say that I don't like them too much.
I felt them a little bit bright. The stage was right but it was more difficult to me to put every instrument in the right place. Specially with pianos.
So I didn't spend too much time with them.

Conclusions:
  • H2 or H2 + Moon... you choose. There is no difference at all.

WHAT SET DO YOU PREFER?
Just for funny we asked ourselves this question and here you have the results:

My friend:
  • LCD-4 + H2 + Moon... but the Moon it's mine and he asked me to turn it off early in the morning. He was trying to forget all the day that sound :-D
  • Choose 2 headphones: LCD4 and 800s
My turn:
  • Utopia + H2.
  • Choose 2 headphones: Utopia + 800s... but I hate my friend because I discovered how the LCD-4 could sound and how "confortable" are them with the carbon headband.

SOME TRACKS FOR TESTING
Finally I want to share with all of you some tracks that we used during the day.

"El Vito"
https://tidal.com/track/77319915
Amazing with the LCD4 + Moon + H2, specially the chords.

"A Thousand Kisses Deep"
https://tidal.com/track/82250316
Another great track for Audeze but fully enjoyable with Utopia.

"A Thousand Kisses Deep"
https://tidal.com/track/32570002
This version didn't work so well with Audeze but Utopias... wow!

"Wagner: Lohengrin, WWV 75, Prelude To Act I (Live)"
https://tidal.com/track/83317717
Take your 800s and forget everything else

"Corrina corrina"
https://tidal.com/track/9377647
I love this track. It is the first I listen when I have to test something.
My friend prefers with Audeze. In my case Utopia :wink:

"Camaron (taranta)"
https://tidal.com/track/3979314
Impressive chords. Awesome record.

"Barley"
https://tidal.com/track/78402088
OMG!

"200 more miles"
https://tidal.com/track/13045200
Ideal for Utopia IMHO.

"Love, Your Spell Is Everywhere"
https://tidal.com/track/13704208
Amazing using LCD-4

And that's all!
If we have to sum up all the day in one sentence this will be the right one:
Chord Hugo2 is the best investment we both made to enjoy our headphones. Period.

Extra ball
We NEED the 2Go now! :wink:
We DESIRE an mScalerGo too!

Thanks for your time! :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #10,684 of 22,464
MikeRight - thank you for taking your time and effort put in this test. For me would be the Utopia with Hugo 2. Have you had a chance to hear them paired with Dave? That's a whole different level.

Jejeje! I expected that question.
And the answer is FORTUNATELY for our pockets NOT yet. :)

If I have to be honest I am so intrigued to discover what Dave can give me vs blu2 + Hugo2.

In any case my lifestyle requires portable solutions so Hugo2 is for the moment my right option hoping some day (besides 2Go) a Chord mScalerGo!

Just imagine...

Feb 4, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #10,685 of 22,464
my main headphone is oppo pm1 over 1k. but for jazz i always revert back to semi open dt880 600 ohm which cost me 170. amazing german beyerdynamic engineering. no logic here.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #10,686 of 22,464
For me would be the Utopia with Hugo 2. Have you had a chance to hear them paired with Dave? That's a whole different level.

I've only heard Utopias with the Dave at a brief audition at Audio Sanctuary/Unilet. I heard a greater refinement, greater resolution but I found the Dave almost brought too much detail/resolution to the music I typically listen to but I will be going back now I have my own Utopias and a Moon Audio Black Dragon Premium cable for another longer listen. I found the Dave got quite hot (top right segment) even driving Utopias at -24 to -27 dB volume. The problem is partly that I find the Hugo 2 & Utopias 'a marriage made in heaven' and I'm hoping that whatever magic dust Rob Watts sprinkled on the Hugo 2 will be sprinkled on Dave 2 in due course. Not sure I will bother to buy a Dave 1 at £8,500 + £1,500 for the stand (I think the stand helps cooling and looks great but silly price for the stand) but Dave 2 will almost certainly be my upgrade path.

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #10,687 of 22,464
I'm hoping that whatever magic dust Rob Watts sprinkled on the Hugo 2 will be sprinkled on Dave 2 in due course.

It’s pretty much a guarantee that a future DAVE 2 will easily surpass the Hugo2, as the current DAVE tech is what has already filtered in to Hugo2, but limited by the Hugo2’s size and price. Wouldn’t it be great if the future DAVE iteration included an M scaler down the road (many years)?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #10,688 of 22,464
I've only heard Utopias with the Dave at a brief audition at Audio Sanctuary/Unilet. I heard a greater refinement, greater resolution but I found the Dave almost brought too much detail/resolution to the music I typically listen to but I will be going back now I have my own Utopias and a Moon Audio Black Dragon Premium cable for another longer listen. I found the Dave got quite hot (top right segment) even driving Utopias at -24 to -27 dB volume. The problem is partly that I find the Hugo 2 & Utopias 'a marriage made in heaven' and I'm hoping that whatever magic dust Rob Watts sprinkled on the Hugo 2 will be sprinkled on Dave 2 in due course. Not sure I will bother to buy a Dave 1 at £8,500 + £1,500 for the stand (I think the stand helps cooling and looks great but silly price for the stand) but Dave 2 will almost certainly be my upgrade path.
It has been mentioned by Mr.John and Mr.Watts that a Dave 2 will not come out for many years, so not much hope there for you unfortunately.

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #10,689 of 22,464
even better dave 2 with a detachable tube amplifier extension for when you need to glow....:deadhorse::deadhorse:

has anyone compared straight optical to usb from desktop/laptop and noticed any difference? i'm planning to go optical for practicality when i receive my new h2 next month. after trading in mojo. last summer i was usb laptop.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #10,690 of 22,464
It has been mentioned by Mr.John and Mr.Watts that a Dave 2 will not come out for many years, so not much hope there for you unfortunately.

As Christine Keeler said 'He would say that, wouldn't he?', why would Chord not upgrade Dave in due course? As Chord know better than most, the digital world moves on much quicker than the analogue one. Other DAC designers & manufacturers revise their DACS, some offer owners downloadable firmware upgrades. Of course messrs Mr John & Mr Rob don't want buyers to hold off purchasing a Dave now, they're in business to create sales and make money, that's a given. In the meantime, I'm a very happy Hugo 2 & Utopia user, I can afford to be equally patient..............

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #10,691 of 22,464
even better dave 2 with a detachable tube amplifier extension for when you need to glow....:deadhorse::deadhorse:

I've told you before, stop smoking that stuff.....................

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #10,692 of 22,464
As Christine Keeler said 'He would say that, wouldn't he?', why would Chord not upgrade Dave in due course? As Chord know better than most, the digital world moves on much quicker than the analogue one. Other DAC designers & manufacturers revise their DACS, some offer owners downloadable firmware upgrades. Of course messrs Mr John & Mr Rob don't want buyers to hold off purchasing a Dave now, they're in business to create sales and make money, that's a given. In the meantime, I'm a very happy Hugo 2 & Utopia user, I can afford to be equally patient..............
The upgrade path for DAVE, Hugo 2 and Qutest already exists in the form of adding a Blu2 (or a standalone MScaler whenever that is released).
Chord have been adopting a strategy of developing modular functionality at many points in their product range (ie a streamer + DAC + Scaler), by including the dual speed BNC functionality into their DACS.
People don't need to consider upgrading the DAC, as the only way to upgrade a (ie a streamer + DAC + Scaler) system.

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #10,693 of 22,464
is a h2 stanalone mscaler confirmed by chord for the future or just hearsay?

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #10,695 of 22,464

Users who are viewing this thread

Back