Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 5, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #9,226 of 22,475
You won't measure any change from the 16FS to 256FS WTA filter. But the HF filter (green or red) adds -1dB at 20kHz from ruler flat.

Does this also apply to the DAVE?

Yes. You won't measure changes in the frequency domain, but if you applied a 16FS impulse you would see changes in the impulse response; so doing the usual measurements using say 192 kHz would reveal no change at all. You would need test equipment or sources running at 768 kHz to actually measure the differences. No such test gear currently exists.

Actually I was referring to the (absolutely measurable) 1 dB drop-off at 20 kHz caused by the HF filter. I'm curious if it's the same with DAVE – because I do hear a very slight upper-treble smoothing (with 44.1 kHz recordings) that might be exactly that.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #9,227 of 22,475
The cable came with H2. Few ferrite cores were there on my old cables. I never noticed them. I have applied only one.
I have never tried the Tia Fourte.
Checkout this post by eaglewings on lcdi4 official thread ...LCD i4 vs Tia Fourte & U18 Tzar.Post #1103
You can also read his review of lcd i4 .

Good read, thanks for re-posting.

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #9,228 of 22,475
Actually I was referring to the (absolutely measurable) 1 dB drop-off at 20 kHz caused by the HF filter. I'm curious if it's the same with DAVE – because I do hear a very slight upper-treble smoothing (with 44.1 kHz recordings) that might be exactly that.
Yes it's the same frequency response with the HF filter engaged.

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #9,230 of 22,475
This Rob Watts guy really rocks!

It's great to see the guy who made very important part of this schi...Chord chat with fellas who bought it with their 2200 cash online!

And this is a nice looking device! Better output stage, 6.3 mm jack, volume wheel, AptX! But I only have 2200 stash of cash to spend this year on audio :frowning2: And I will go for KEF LS50 Wireless instead, sorry Chord :'( It's kinda sad I don't get any benefit from my Mojo with them, though :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #9,232 of 22,475
Can someone briefly explain chord's new upcoming digital amp? i thought i read somewhere it has a dac in it as well unless i'm mistaken. or is it just an amp?

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #9,233 of 22,475
Can someone briefly explain chord's new upcoming digital amp? i thought i read somewhere it has a dac in it as well unless i'm mistaken. or is it just an amp?
I doubt that anyone here knows, apart from JF or Matt. The digital amp was briefly discussed by Rob early this year, but it was still in early development. If, and it is a big if, Chord are doing the press release at CES, I doubt they will be posting details about the digital amp, in the near future.

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #9,234 of 22,475

No idea apart from I recall RW saying that it was intended that Blu2 would feed direct into the digital amp without the need for Dave. I have merely logged that the digital amp was being developed and my interest is to see whether it would be able to displace my lovely valve amps.

My view is that any speculation is futile and a waste of breath until the launch or announcement.

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #9,235 of 22,475
This Rob Watts guy really rocks!

It's great to see the guy who made very important part of this schi...Chord chat with fellas who bought it with their 2200 cash online!

And this is a nice looking device! Better output stage, 6.3 mm jack, volume wheel, AptX! But I only have 2200 stash of cash to spend this year on audio :frowning2: And I will go for KEF LS50 Wireless instead, sorry Chord :'( It's kinda sad I don't get any benefit from my Mojo with them, though :frowning2:

I think I would prefer a Chord DAC to a KEF DAC within my kit.

Also I think I would prefer the Rega Brio (2017), or Elex-R amplifier, and a pair of Dynaudio Emit M10 (or M20). (You could get the KEF Q350 as an alternative.) Then pair those with the Chord DAC. That way, if one component goes down, you don't lose the whole thing. Plus you can upgrade parts individually as time goes on. Additionally, if at some point you e.g upgrade your amplifier, then you have your existing amplifier as back up. Or part of a second set up. ... (Edit: more audio inputs too.)

I know the KEF LS50 has been placed in the What Hi-Fi hall of fame. It's also an amazing space saver which I appreciate, as my previous desktop kit was active speakers. However if your desk is too small for a Rega Brio, or Rega Elex-R sideways; your desk is too small.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #9,236 of 22,475
I think I would prefer a Chord DAC to a KEF DAC within my kit.

Also I think I would prefer the Rega Brio (2017), or Elex-R amplifier, and a pair of Dynaudio Emit M10 (or M20). (You could get the KEF Q350 as an alternative.) Then pair those with the Chord DAC. That way, if one component goes down, you don't lose the whole thing. Plus you can upgrade parts individually as time goes on. Additionally, if at some point you e.g upgrade your amplifier, then you have your existing amplifier as back up. Or part of a second set up.

I know the KEF LS50 has been placed in the What Hi-Fi hall of fame. It's also an amazing space saver which I appreciate, as my previous desktop kit was active speakers. However if your desk is too small for a Rega Brio, or Rega Elex-R sideways; your desk is too small.

I can vouch for this, as this is my 2-channel set-up in the living room: Rega Apollo-R / Regio Brio 2017 -> KEF LS50 :)

also have a Sonos Connect hooked up to it, which Roon plays nice with. and I can hook MojoPoly or Hugo 2 up to the RCA connector anytime

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #9,237 of 22,475

It is most likely a Class D amplifier. "Class-D amplifiers work by generating a train of square pulses of fixed amplitude but varying width and separation, or varying number per unit time, representing the amplitude variations of the analog audio input signal. It is also possible to synchronize the modulator clock with an incoming digital audio signal, thus removing the necessity to convert it to analog, The output of the modulator is then used to gate the output transistors on and off alternately."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class-D_amplifier

The main benefits of class D amplifiers are that they are cheap, light and very efficient. They also sound fine. I personally prefer well implemented class A/B, but there are some fine class D amps out there. Being light, cheap and efficient such amplifiers are often used in commercial applications and in cars. They are a good choice for driving subwoofers since they can produce a lot of power.

I am sure Chord has the capacity to produce a fine class D amplifier. I do however suspect that they will cost much more than one would normally expect to pay for such an amplifier. Now, if this thing is so good that Dave is no longer needed it is a different story. If it is cheaper than Dave and can replace Dave it would appear to be some kind of breakthrough.

This would be one of my recommendations if you want a class D amp:
http://www.hattor.com/nc500mp.html
$1200 for 2 mono blocks. They are 270 Watts into 8 Ohms and 500 into 4 Ohms. I don't really see why anyone would want to pay more for a class D amp.

If for some reason you do not want a class D amp there are endless choices available. This is recommended: http://www.jobsys.com/job225doc.htm

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #9,238 of 22,475
It's not a class D amp, but a PowerPulse amp (a unique design invented by Rob) promising an unaltered signal (true wire-with-gain scenario). Rob doesn't have a high esteem for class D amps.

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #9,239 of 22,475
It's not a class D amp, but a PowerPulse amp (a unique design invented by Rob) promising an unaltered signal (true wire-with-gain scenario). Rob doesn't have a high esteem for class D amps.

Fascinating. I can't wait to learn more about it. I am pleased to hear that it is not just another class D amp.

Dec 7, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #9,240 of 22,475
will this amp function as a headphone amp/dac as one of its functions. if not will it contain a dac as well as being an amp or too early to tell?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back