Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 4, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #9,196 of 22,475
If some one can help you with the more complicated setting up. I’ll see what we can do with the blue tooth control for a possible high contrast or buttoned way of using poly for those that are visually impaired.
One of my tasks at work, is to ensure that all my colleagues published presentations, pdfs, documents, web pages, software etc complies with the company accessibility guidelines, and can be read using screen-reading software. A lot of this can be assisted by populating the alt-text field for individual diagrams, graphs, flowcharts, buttons, images etc.
Hopefully if JF can arrange high contrast buttons on a smartscreen, then maybe the alt-text could be used to provide messages like 'press this button to navigate to ........' whenever a finger passes over the button.

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #9,197 of 22,475
One of my tasks at work, is to ensure that all my colleagues published presentations, pdfs, documents, web pages, software etc complies with the company accessibility guidelines, and can be read using screen-reading software. A lot of this can be assisted by populating the alt-text field for individual diagrams, graphs, flowcharts, buttons, images etc.
Hopefully if JF can arrange high contrast buttons on a smartscreen, then maybe the alt-text could be used to provide messages like 'press this button to navigate to ........' whenever a finger passes over the button.
Makes me feel good about the future when I hear about people trying to make things more functional for us. Thanks, Mike.

Dec 4, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #9,198 of 22,475
the more I use H2 the more I enjoy it and the more I have my little qualms about it. Based off my usage it seems the design is backwards, the buttons/lights should be on the same end as the 6.3mm out jack and not the other way around. A little frustrating at times having to move it around when I want to adjust filters or crossfeed.

Dec 4, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #9,199 of 22,475
the more I use H2 the more I enjoy it and the more I have my little qualms about it. Based off my usage it seems the design is backwards, the buttons/lights should be on the same end as the 6.3mm out jack and not the other way around. A little frustrating at times having to move it around when I want to adjust filters or crossfeed.
Not really sure why. It's a small, flat surface with a top whose buttons are easy to reach. If it's crossfeed, the effect can be easily heard. The filters, on the other hand aren't quite so easy, but can be looked at. My H2 sits on a shelf just underneath the desktop, where it can be easily accessed, but out of the way of harm. Maybe I'm just nitpicking your post, but to me, the setup of the Hugo2 is even better than its predecessor. The USB jacks are flush with the back surface, the power switch is right on top, not recessed (squeezed in) with the USB connection. It's just...beautiful!

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #9,200 of 22,475
T
With no wish to wound you more since you already lost arms and legs in the battle, but IMHO, USB-C:
  • share almost the same form factor as microUSB
  • has no benefit for a USB 2.0/1.1 audio data usage.
What is the use of USB C cables or connectors, even if backward compatible (passive cable), when what you are connected to don't take any advantage of it now or in future (speed/power management)?

Thanks for your take on this.
My comment only referred to my strong dislike of micro usb as such and I used HUGO/HUGO 2 as two unfortunate examples of one company using micro USB, and it was in no way an endorsement as such of USB-C.
Personally I am still using a 2011 MBP with USB 2 and Firewire 800 connections for my portable hardrives where my music resides, plus ethernet port.And I have no intention to change from that in the near future.

My interest in this is the need for sturdy reliable connections that do the job intended without any problems or compromises involved.
As far as the best possible connection for digital audio transmission is concerned, according to the people I know in the recording business, ethernet is really the way to go and it has been used at all recent recording sessions I have been to.
I saw and heard ethernet connected recording in use at a live concert recording in Singapore less than a month ago.
PS I am still "fighting" with at least one arm intact.
Cheers Christer

Dec 5, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #9,201 of 22,475
taken a deep breath and considering another go at hugo 2 by january/feb. i hope if i do it will be trouble free. all the bug reporting seems to have died down if not disappeared. maybe a silver instead of the black ones i had for superstition. i was thinking of dave but maybe H2 pricewise hits a sweet spot?? mojo has done a great job. out of interest has anyone tried PM1 with H2?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #9,202 of 22,475
For me the Hugo is the best no question is possible !

20171205_122809 - Copie.jpg

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #9,203 of 22,475
taken a deep breath and considering another go at hugo 2 by january/feb. i hope if i do it will be trouble free. all the bug reporting seems to have died down if not disappeared. maybe a silver instead of the black ones i had for superstition. i was thinking of dave but maybe H2 pricewise hits a sweet spot?? mojo has done a great job. out of interest has anyone tried PM1 with H2?

Yes, I am using PM1s with the H2. I tend to switch between these and the IE 800s depending on how much I want other people to hear! The PM1s have nice solid base (not boomy) and have really bedded in with the H2 (or my brain has!). Having the X-PHD set to full (Blue) also makes an extremely positive difference to my ears (especially on the PM1s)

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #9,205 of 22,475
IMHO, USB-C:
  • share almost the same form factor as microUSB
  • has no benefit for a USB 2.0/1.1 audio data usage.
What is the use of USB C cables or connectors

Aren't they more rugged and mechanically less prone to damage than micro-usbs? Nonetheless, they do provide an ergonomic advantage, as either side will fit the hole the same way. Also, can't they be built to be able to carry more power than micro? USB-C is what Apple uses to charge their big Macbook Pros and those things have to have more than 7000 mAh battery.

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #9,207 of 22,475
You won't measure any change from the 16FS to 256FS WTA filter. But the HF filter (green or red) adds -1dB at 20kHz from ruler flat.

Haha, I (28 yo) think I have a huge problem to hear anything beyond 15 kHz :) Does the HF rolloff filter do something else on top of this mild change? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #9,208 of 22,475
Yes - its there for HD recordings, particularly 192 or even more with 384 or 768k. The ADC's create large amounts of out of band random noise shaper noise, and this will give more noise floor modulation. So the HF filter reduces this, and it sounds noticeably warmer with HD recordings - much more so than with RBCD.

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #9,209 of 22,475
You won't measure any change from the 16FS to 256FS WTA filter. But the HF filter (green or red) adds -1dB at 20kHz from ruler flat.
Does this also apply to the DAVE?

Dec 5, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #9,210 of 22,475
Yes - its there for HD recordings, particularly 192 or even more with 384 or 768k. The ADC's create large amounts of out of band random noise shaper noise, and this will give more noise floor modulation. So the HF filter reduces this, and it sounds noticeably warmer with HD recordings - much more so than with RBCD.

So basically inaudible difference with my library and standard use (mostly CD quality FLACs and Spotify, sometimes SACD quality), thanks for answer though. Was the 256 FS and 16 FS filter difference audible to your testers between lower sampling rates (MP3s and 44.1 kHz, 16 bit quality music)? Thanks :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back