Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 17, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #7,216 of 22,537
I have not heard Hugo 2 or any benchmark dac but with my Hugo 1, i get the feel of being there , with realistic vocals and profound sense of depth. you don't need to close your eyes to get that feel. imho a well set speaker system is a much better test than headphones.

Aug 17, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #7,217 of 22,537
Anyone else feeling the satisfaction of "end game" sense with Hugo 2?

My missing piece was software. Now using Audirvana Plus with Hugo 2 and some hi res files, I feel as if I have "arrived" and am getting lost in the music.

Last night, with the German-English translation before me, Brahms Win Deutsches Requiem reduced me to tears.

I stumbled on an article from 16 years ago that inspired me to listen to it, straight through, with the translation before me: https://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/470/

You can find it at TIDAL and lots of other places. Besides Otto Klemperer, I like Sir Simon Rattle (later recording). There is just something special about that 1962 recording. I did use "white" filter. Next time, I'll try green.

I wondered if I would love the end of the search ( "pursuit is happiness") would pester at me.

It hasn't.

The "pursuit is happiness" instead of "pursuit of happiness" is driving me in places of learning new music.

it's exciting.

Nice to hear that you have discovered young Brahms' early masterpiece "Ein Deutsches Requiem".
I have this recording in its orginal LP version and it is great by any standard.
If you also want a downloadable more modern hi res version to saviour via your HUGO 2, there is quite a good one from the BSO available as 24/88.2 download from their own BSO site and several other sites too.
Some other Masses and Requiems of similar greatness are IMHO , Bach's B-minor Mass , Mozart's Requiem and Beethoven's Missa Solemnis.
And Verdi's Requiem is, though not as comforting and soothing as Brahms' German Requiem can be in both psychological and musical terms, a timeless masterpiece. But an even more dramatic and even defiant take on the inevitable ending of human life.
And if you want to sample a bit of Handel for free his Oratorio "Israel in Egypt" is still up, both in stereo, and as binaural on the BBC PROMS sites.
I started my day yesterday with it and Handel's wonderful music with a mix of both his "Messiah" and "Fireworks Music" thrown into one and the same work had me humming in great spirit all day.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #7,218 of 22,537
Got my replacement Hugo 2 today. The one I received initially S/N H0205xx had a loose screw inside case. My replacement S/N H0211xx has a couple nice smudges on the inside of the viewing glass and a noticeable ding on the case...and what I can only describe as pitting in the black anodizing (which the first unit did not have). Also of interest to some, my Eichmann bullet plugs would not even remotely pass through the anologue output openings on the first unit, nor would my Cardas Clear plugs. Both slide in for a secure fit on the replacement I received today. This has me baffled.

Thank for bringing this to my attention I'm very surprised by this as our process control is very rigorous so it's a little strange please return the unit immediately to Chord via your retailer. If this unit had not been opened by a third party at some time I can see we will need to have some discussions with our subcontractor can you please confirm that the units packaging seal was intact when you received this unit?

Aug 17, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #7,219 of 22,537
Hey there,

Just pulled the trigger for a curious Hugo Link... finally
I decided for the version with detachable power line.
I thought the connection would be micro USB, but it turns out it's Sennheiser 2.5...so I see myself searching for a custom power line for my USB cable :D

BTW the triton audio neolev is not so well suited as H2 base... It's a wobbly affair, but I will try to diy a base from it...

Cheers

Can you send link with detachable power line?

I mistakenly ordered mine without a 5V power line and had to send it back to fix.

Tried to be minimalistic...

https://head-fi.org/threads/withdrawn-from-sale-curious-cable.857747/

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #7,220 of 22,537
Hey there @AC-12,

There doesn't seem to be a direct link.
I asked via the form on their site and they send a PayPal money request.

I am already thinking of different ways to power it... IFI Ipower 5v, Lithium Ion Powerbank, Nimh Akku Pack or maybe bring some Supercaps in the Mix... Boy that sounds like fun :D

Cheers

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #7,221 of 22,537
Please understand that his unit is not working correctly. Given the amount of money he paid and that this is a brand new unit, then I don't quite see how he is meant to "relax and enjoy it". It is not really a problem anyway, since Chord has units allocated to replace faulty ones. He will quickly have his unit replaced with a fully functional new one.

At least my case, it seems Chord does not have units allocated to replace faulty ones. Having returned mine, I have to wait couple weeks from Chord until they have more to ship.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #7,225 of 22,537
Oh, I am sorry to hear that. A previous poster said that they did, so I thought they had it covered.

Yeah...it was a little challenging going from Hugo 2 back to Mojo. My ears had to readjust to less. So easy to get spoiled.

Aug 17, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #7,226 of 22,537
Christer - I used to have a Benchmark DAC2 HGC. It is a perfectly decent DAC. There's nothing obviously wrong with it. But I changed to a Hugo and began to hear my music in the way I always thought I should. Then I went to a Hugo TT and it got rather surprisingly better. Then I jumped to a DAVE, though it was a huge amount of money for me, and it got better still. By a long, long way. Really involving, tangible, transporting.

Aug 17, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #7,227 of 22,537
Aug 17, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #7,228 of 22,537
Has anyone had the volume on their H2 rise without manually turning the wheel or using the remote?

About a week ago, while using the remote to change filters and adjust volume...the volume escalated to max in a few sec. without me touching anything.

Not sure what may have caused this?

Aug 17, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #7,229 of 22,537
Has anyone had the volume on their H2 rise without manually turning the wheel or using the remote?

About a week ago, while using the remote to change filters and adjust volume...the volume escalated to max in a few sec. without me touching anything.

Did your eardrums get blown out? :triportsad: I suppose you must have pushed the buttons to adjust volume without noticing. Take care.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #7,230 of 22,537
Final1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back