1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by ChordElectronics, Jan 5, 2017.
First

Back
473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482
484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493
Next

Last
  1. musicor
    This did happen to me once (not max volume but veeery loud). I don't even have any batteries in the remote and the h2 was flat on the table without anything around it which could touch the volume wheel.

2. halloweenman
    Hi Peter, may I ask what headphones you use? I've tried Audioquest Nighthawk with H2 and they are very good and an easy listen but I'm not overly keen on the bass (a little woolly) and just too laid back for my taste.

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  3. SteveOliver
    Depending on music genre, I find the Sennheiser HD650 has great synergy with the Hugo 2.

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  4. dnnaudio
    Got my Hugo II 2 days ago. Compared to Hugo 1 it sounds clearer, more resolved and full bodied. Certainly this seem to address the occasional tendency of Hugo 1 to sound thin. Now the bad news the volume control does not work. I have to use remote to adjust. So it is going back to the dealer. Up to this point I igmored posts on Chord QC w/ Hugo 2 but now I think there could be something to it.

sc2806 likes this.
  5. Rob Watts
    Mr. Speakers Aeon are exceptionally good; more transparent (much more accurate sound-stage with better depth), and certainly leaner than the Nighthawks, but don't lose out in terms of musicality (which of course is the Nighthawks strength). The Aeons being closed back are excellent in 'planes too, with very good 8 hour comfort.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
  6. halloweenman
    Thanks Steve & Rob for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

7. audi0nick128
    Hey there,
    I wanted to let you know that I would have agreed with the review take on H2s reproduction of voices.
    I myself thought that the warmer more lush voice reproduction of Mojo was more natural, for the first few weeks.
    Now after a good month it's the opposite.
    So getting used to the voice reproduction took me quite long.

Cheers

8. audi0nick128
    Hey there Rob,

I am in need for a closed back, and will decide between Nightowls and Aeons.
    I have Nighthawks and love their sound signature.
    I remember that you been very pleased with Nighthawks depth reproduction, so the Aeons must be great if they leave the Nighthawks behind... Have you tried the Nightowls and can compare them to Aeon?

Since I am quite sensetive towards treble I fear that the Aeons might be too bright for me... I will listen for myself as soon as my dealer gets the Aeon, just wanted to ask for your opinion.

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  9. Rob Watts
    No not yet but will do so at next Can-Jam.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    audi0nick128 likes this.
  10. miketlse
    Just checking if you are having the same problem that I had. I could change volume using the remote, but pressing the ball had no effect. It took me a while to realise that I needed to rotate the ball instead. Doh

Peter Hyatt likes this.
  11. dnnaudio
    Nah I have the Hugo 1 actually an early adapter so quite familiar w/ the controls. No matter how I rotate volume the color remains same. But I can adjust using remote.

Hooster likes this.
  12. Whazzzup
    just the right pressure will do it. I believe it's a safety feature that random volume change is prevented. Ch1 balls were tight.

13. Christer
    Hello AndrewOld,
    What you are saying regarding DAVE is no secret to me.I said in one of my previous posts that I also know very well how "involving, tangible, transporting" DAVE sounds in comparison with most other consumer Dacs, not only HUGO and DAC 2.
    I also think I know why you preferred HUGO over DAC 2.
    It could probably be described in one word, resolution .
    When not hit by "nasties" turning it into thin and tiring digital sound, HUGO can sound superb.
    I too know that I have owned mine for three years now.
    But my slightly less resolved DAC 2 compared to HUGO in a "good mood" always delivers the goods. There are never any cringing surprises from it and it sounds fuller and weightier via headphones than HUGO.
    And DAC 2 accepts any rca connection I have tried ,whereas HUGO does not. Or at least not without cumbersome extreme measures taken.
    And even then some strange interference current loops or whatever they are, occur after a while of pleasant listening.
    DAC 2 on the other hand is immune to any such disturbances that hamper HUGO.
    In theory HUGO is the better but in practice DAC 2 delivers more long term enjoyable musical enjoyment both via headphones and speakers.

After my first audition of DAVE a voice in my head kept saying , "what the heck Chris you have enough money on one of your credit cards to walk away very happily with that DAC under your arm, and at a price you would not get in Europe".
    But the inner voice of reason and above all the voice of finance, got the upper hand.
    And next time around, especially when auditioning some DSD material where I have been present at the actual sessions and heard both the live takes and raw DSD files at sessions playback I was puzzled when I heard those tracks via DAVE.
    And in a way I still am.
    To my ears DAVE delivered all my PCM recorded masterfiles basically as I had heard them at sessions. I simply could not fault it in any way.
    But I am not willing to part with the cash needed to buy a DAVE.
    I am still hoping, maybe against actual facts,but still, that there is a cheaper route around that mountain than the very expensive Chord route.
    But by all means enjoy your DAVE.
    I for one know very well, what you've got there.
    Cheers Christer

AndrewOld likes this.
  14. Christer
    Hmm, being one of those very much still "sitting on the fence" as far as HUGO 2 is concerned, I would like to know what musical genres you are referring to with your observation of voices sounding unnatural and digital. Are you listening to modern studio style pop/rock stuff where the singer basically puts a mic in his/her mouth? Or classical where the human voice almost always is miked at a distance?
    If you mean pop/rock singers, what you hear could actually be things not resolved by some other dacs and not really a fault of HUGO 2 at all.
    It could simply be a standard case of bad miking more brutally revealed than you were used to?
    If on the other hand, you hear the same happening with vocals in Opera and other classical music, there could be other, less flattering to HUGO 2, reasons for what you are hearing imho.
    Finally what speakers /headphones are you using with your HUGO 2?
    Cheers Christer

15. audi0nick128
    Hey there @Christer

I am not trying to troll, but could it be that those moods of Hugo you are talking about are in fact your mood at the given time of listening? I think that a bad mood can spoil a lot of pleasure listening to music... Until the music changes your mood :)... But maybe that's just me.

I mean if you said that DAC2 was the better performer to your ears, I could understand that rather than those mood swings of Hugo... maybe you live in an area where electromagnetic pollution is high enough to have an noticeable effect on Hugo, at peak times.

Anyway I think my opinion on H2 won't make you pull the trigger, but there are many posts from highly experienced members, who said that H2 is in fact closer to DAVE than to Hugo or Mojo.

I think if you could stretch a bid for a DAVE you should try a H2 and give it some time (ideally several days) of exclusive listening and then decide... I don't think that anyone here can help you make this decision remotely as well as your own ears.
    Just my 2 cents...

Cheers

Paul Bjernklo likes this.
First

Back
473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482
484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493
Next

Last