Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 1, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #6,571 of 22,475
Any help ?
I have checked the post about a Steam issue.
The poster seems to have multiple issues:
  • he/she seems to want to simultaneously want to use the Mojo to listen to the sound from the steam game, plus listen to music at the same time. Why would you want to do this?
  • "capture sound from all sound cards", it does not pick up the sound from the Mojo. He/she seems to think that the mojo is a sound card, and that you can send music to the Mojo, and then the Mojo is also able to send audio back to the computer. The Mojo is a DAC and receives digital inputs, and has analogue outputs - consequently cannot send digital sound information back to the computer (the only exception maybe when the computer sends corrupt data to the Mojo, and the Chord driver requests the computer to resend the packet of music data). This will be the same for the Hugo 2.
Regarding Windows 10 drivers. Some posters state just install the win 10 creators driver you linked to, but some others state that if one experiences issues, then install the standard win10 driver first, followed by the win10 creators driver. The majority view seems to be try the creators driver first,

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #6,572 of 22,475
I've had my Hugo 2 for couple weeks now and all of sudden, I'm getting these really loud static sounds. It comes and goes but it's disturbing.
I tried disconnecting from the amp and power source and trying my headphones directly from Hugo 2 and I still get the static. Anyone have these issues?
The root cause is probably your music source. What source and music player are you using?

Aug 1, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #6,574 of 22,475
I have checked the post about a Steam issue.
The poster seems to have multiple issues:
  • he/she seems to want to simultaneously want to use the Mojo to listen to the sound from the steam game, plus listen to music at the same time. Why would you want to do this?
  • "capture sound from all sound cards", it does not pick up the sound from the Mojo. He/she seems to think that the mojo is a sound card, and that you can send music to the Mojo, and then the Mojo is also able to send audio back to the computer. The Mojo is a DAC and receives digital inputs, and has analogue outputs - consequently cannot send digital sound information back to the computer (the only exception maybe when the computer sends corrupt data to the Mojo, and the Chord driver requests the computer to resend the packet of music data). This will be the same for the Hugo 2.
Regarding Windows 10 drivers. Some posters state just install the win 10 creators driver you linked to, but some others state that if one experiences issues, then install the standard win10 driver first, followed by the win10 creators driver. The majority view seems to be try the creators driver first,

Thanks.
Well I sometimes listen to music while I play (but no DSD), so this seems like an issue to me. For the second point, this kind of weird, while I do not have issue streaming content on twitch with my odac, I hope this will still be the case.
Any others input on that subject ?

Aug 1, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #6,578 of 22,475
The September issue of HiFiNews has just become available. Page 111 contains an article by Steve Harris which compares the binaural recording technique used at the Proms, with the use of a Neumann KU100 dummy head.

Thanks for the update.
I have also looked into the way the BBC does them and my initial enthusiasm has been a bit dampened .
The binaural broadcasts are not true dummy head nor are they in Concert Sound quality.
But some still sound very good and what they really do compared to the stereo broadcasts is to open up the soundstage quite a bit compared to the stereo version.
But alas at the expense of thinner less realistic SQ, massed strings sound more metallic and coarser and the bells in the last movement of Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique for example sound less resolved and harder via the lower res binaural.
But one good thing is that the deep rumbling syncopated string basses in the same movement sound clearer and not as masked and flat and embedded as via the stereo version.
To give just one very clear example among many others of the advantage as such of binaural via headphones
You win some and you lose other things with these.
But they still make interesting comparison material.
I don't know why they have chosen to broadcast what should have been the very best versions at lower res than the stereo ones?
I hope that they will broadcast next season's binaural Proms in at least the same resolution as the stereo ones this year, or better.
Even those are actually not real hi res.But still clearly better than ever before.
I think the stereo ones are 16/48 and the binaurals are the earlier standard 320kbs or something like that.
For real hi res true binaural recordings I can recommend two recordings from native.dsd.com.
"A Far Cry" and "Brahms string quartets" are available as DSD 64 and DSD 128 downloads among some other titles there and are even better examples of how good and truly 3D acoustic music can sound via headphones.
But this test season from the BBC is still a quite good and completely free start to explore binaural further imo.
It would of course be interesting to read what Harris has to say on the subject. But I have only bought one issue of HIFI NEWS in recent years and that was when they reviewed DAVE.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #6,580 of 22,475
No, I had it disconnected and it still had static then. But once it's been disconnected for a longer period, it stops.
So I'm testing different scenarios to identify the source of the problem.

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #6,581 of 22,475
No, I had it disconnected and it still had static then. But once it's been disconnected for a longer period, it stops.
So I'm testing different scenarios to identify the source of the problem.
So lets get this clear - you are listening to the Hugo 2, with all the music inputs disconnected, and the power supply input disconnected. How many hours have you spent listening like this?
I have repeated this test with my Hugo 2, and can hear perfect silence.
Maybe @Rob Watts can explain your issue.

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #6,582 of 22,475
So the static started to happen while Hugo 2 connected to surge protector (in one out let in my room), optical to Mac (Amarra 4 Luxe) and headphone connected to Microzotl 2 amp.
It was pretty loud static that continued for couple minutes. So I disconnected Hugo 2 from the power source (surge protector) and amp and optical to Mac and just hooked the headphone up directly to Hugo 2. The static was still there.
So I turned it off and let it sit and turned it back on without any connections but the headphone. The static was gone.
At this point I hooked up the power source of the Hugo 2 to different surge protector and different outlet to see if it happens again. So far so good.
I don't know why the other power outlet (or surge protector) had problems. Never happened before. But changing it seems to be working. Crossing my fingers.

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #6,583 of 22,475
So the static started to happen while Hugo 2 connected to surge protector (in one out let in my room), optical to Mac (Amarra 4 Luxe) and headphone connected to Microzotl 2 amp.
It was pretty loud static that continued for couple minutes. So I disconnected Hugo 2 from the power source (surge protector) and amp and optical to Mac and just hooked the headphone up directly to Hugo 2. The static was still there.
So I turned it off and let it sit and turned it back on without any connections but the headphone. The static was gone.
At this point I hooked up the power source of the Hugo 2 to different surge protector and different outlet to see if it happens again. So far so good.
I don't know why the other power outlet (or surge protector) had problems. Never happened before. But changing it seems to be working. Crossing my fingers.
Returning to post #6582
You had disconnected the Hugo 2 charger, but did you still have the surge protector connected to the Hugo 2?
That surge protector sounds a bit iffy to me. maybe it was outputting more than 5V to the Hugo 2, and/or a lot of electrical noise.

Aug 1, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #6,584 of 22,475
I had Hugo 2 disconnected from charger and surge protector.
But I'm also thinking that it's the surge protector.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back