Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 1, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #6,587 of 22,521
Dang it, it's not surge protector. The Hugo 2 started static hissing and crackling it all by itself without any connections (except headphone).
I tried pushing different buttons and it only stopped after I changed the Filter options. I think this is definitely faulty.

Aug 1, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #6,588 of 22,521
back to retailer

Aug 1, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #6,590 of 22,521
New stuff for the CH2! IMG-20170801-WA0018.jpg

Aug 1, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #6,591 of 22,521
I think I narrowed it down. While it can happen on it's own without any connections.
But some how (related to it), connecting an optical cable (even when not connected to source) will trigger static, sheeee/crakle sound.

I tried it with the chord stock optical cable and my own (blue jean cable) and it seems to trigger it.

thanks
david

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #6,592 of 22,521
I think I narrowed it down. Not positive it’s the cause or related to it. But I believe it’s the optical input.
When I insert the optical cable, not always, but randomly activates and sheeee…crackle sound.
I tried it with the chord stock optical cable and my own (blue jean cable) and it seems to trigger it.

thanks
david
optical input seems odd. The main generic issues with optical cables seem to be whether they are limited to 96 kbits or 192 kbits.

Aug 1, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #6,593 of 22,521
I think I narrowed it down. While it can happen on it's own without any connections.
But some how (related to it), connecting an optical cable (even when not connected to source) will trigger static, sheeee/crakle sound.

thanks
david

Oddly, a similar thing happened with the Mojo tour unit. When connecting optical or coaxial a loud white noise hiss apperead that was well above normal sensitive headphone hiss and audible over music. When disconnecting the input it went away. That unit was sent back to Chord and they fixed it promptly and sent it back for the tour. I'd recommend going back to your retailer.

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #6,596 of 22,521
Chord have units put aside to replace faulty hugo 2's. after my volume dial became non responsive i had a replacement within a few days. no worries.

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #6,598 of 22,521
till now i have read reports concerning mental burn in vs hardware burn in with amusement and just taken them with a pinch of salt. however for the last few nights i have been listening to H2 during the early hours midnite to 6am and there is a transformation occurring. whether this is really based on neurotransmitters rewiring themselves or mood dependent and time of day or even real H2 hardware burn in something is going on for sure 100%. the music is starting to take on a new dimension with added depth and especially the connection with ever more clarity in vocals. very good!!

finally i'm relatively new to the audiophile world. what advantages can audirvana plus give me when using it with tidal? the website claims its' algorithms are more advanced than "your dac". this makes me dubious as well as eq'ing seems like i will be messing with sound which is perfectly ok as it is. then again many users really rate audirvana positively??:thinking::thinking:

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #6,600 of 22,521
Fantastic GUI no difference in SQ to native tidal app?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back