Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 27, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #4,907 of 22,511
From all the posting here recently, it's becoming quite clear that we are desperately in need of some in-depth; objective; impartial; studied DAC comparisons (and not a la 'What Hi-Fi' lol! :wink:).

Trouble is, of course, very few folks are fortunate enough to own/have access to, a nice comprehensive range of appropriate contenders. On top of which, as altering just one single other element in a system can have quite dramatic effects on the final result... surely, the only really meaningful assessment (for oneself) can be comparison with one's existing equipment, and in one's own environment?!
And which is why I sincerely hope my own H2 arrives before CanJam London, as I do not place much faith in attempting to achieve any really meaningful insight by comparing different DACs, with different setups (amidst undoubted high ambient noise!) at such a venue alas...

However, it is of course indeed still nice/encouraging to hear others' personal findings/impressions upon receipt of such a (relatively) small bundle of joy. Plus, there's the extra rejoicing that Rob Watts's expertise and own assessment bring to us lesser mortals...especially in the face of some in-depth questioning of his (and Chord's) methodology regarding the ever-present constraints when manufacturing to a 'price point'. I personally remain confident that Chord have somehow managed to come up with a product that does indeed surpass anything "anywhere near the price"...I only wish I could afford said 'appropriate contenders' to ratify such confidence...(and the total objectivity/impartiality/skills with which to carry out such a momentous task!...is there anyone out there up to/for it?!! :beyersmile:).

yes i agree: sure we might come across as overzealous Chord fanboys..but overall we're confident that Chord products can partake in a thorough examination against the competition and hold their ground....in the end we're lucky to have any number of good audio products around us to use, from Chord as well as from other brands.

and despite not being related (so please indulge me) just thought i'd share: seems to be some nice buzz over the pending AudioQuest iems later this yr...
from steve guttenberg in stereophile:
and from what I know about AudioQuest's upcoming in-ear model, it's going to really shake things up. The sound quality of these 'phones wasn't available at any price even a few years ago, and I haven't seen this level of innovation and new ideas with loudspeakers in ages. Headphones are where the action is.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/are-you-experienced-0#gQtOmqTTYHdZ3Rj8.99

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #4,908 of 22,511
yes i agree: sure we might come across as overzealous Chord fanboys..but overall we're confident that Chord products can partake in a thorough examination against the competition and hold their ground....in the end we're lucky to have any number of good audio products around us to use, from Chord as well as from other brands.

and despite not being related (so please indulge me) just thought i'd share: seems to be some nice buzz over the pending AudioQuest iems later this yr...
from steve guttenberg in stereophile:
and from what I know about AudioQuest's upcoming in-ear model, it's going to really shake things up. The sound quality of these 'phones wasn't available at any price even a few years ago, and I haven't seen this level of innovation and new ideas with loudspeakers in ages. Headphones are where the action is.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/are-you-experienced-0#gQtOmqTTYHdZ3Rj8.99
yes ! just picked up campfire vegas iem.the bass is outstanding they sound like a vpi analog rig. can't wait to plug them into the hugo 2.

i also have audeze lcd 4 plugged into the speaker posts on my VAC 70/70 amp.That is the best !

I Plan to connect the hugo 2 to my VAC amp via audiquest wildblueyonder IC.Impressions and pics will be posted.

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #4,909 of 22,511
  1. yes ! just picked up campfire vegas iem.the bass is outstanding they sound like a vpi analog rig. can't wait to plug them into the hugo 2.
i also have audeze lcd 4 plugged into the speaker posts on my VAC 70/70 amp.That is the best !

I Plan to connect the hugo 2 to my VAC amp via audiquest wildblueyonder IC.Impressions and pics will be posted.

yes campfire is really offering fab bang for the buck, esp againt the growing trend of really $$$ iems
..looking forward to the FLC Celeste when it comes out, too.
will be interesting to see what the Hugo 2 ideally pairs well with.

My iems are the FLC 8S...great bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #4,910 of 22,511
For audionick: i sincerely apologise i did not understand the context in which this was intended. i am very happy a readable version of the manual is now all sorted out UELong. thanks MK.
Hey, no probs, MK. I try not to whine too much. But, when I ask for assistance, there's a lot of decent people. I wish I could name you all, but you know who you are. You'll always have my gratitude.

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #4,911 of 22,511
Do flagship iem's like the vega compare favourably to normal over ear headphones like the hifiman edition x or oppo pm1 which are roughly the same price as vega. i really want excellent bass handling for listening to electronica as one example and have never seriously considered iem's. i did read soundstage can't be compared to over ear cans which put me off. i also feel i'm not getting enough bang for buck as they're so small and so pricey. later this year as funds allow i will be purchasing a really nice headphone to compliment my beyers and hugo 2.

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #4,912 of 22,511
Do flagship iem's like the vega compare favourably to normal over ear headphones like the hifiman edition x or oppo pm1 which are roughly the same price as vega. i really want excellent bass handling for listening to electronica as one example and have never seriously considered iem's. i did read soundstage can't be compared to over ear cans which put me off. i also feel i'm not getting enough bang for buck as they're so small and so pricey. later this year as funds allow i will be purchasing a really nice headphone to compliment my beyers and hugo 2.

I just heard the Audeze LCDi4 recently at a meet and I just had to purchase them before I left. I didn't bring the Hugo2 with me but with the i4 I certainly felt that they weren't really limiting compared to other full sized headphones, which surprised the hell out of me. There is also plenty of bass and listening through the Audeze deckard amp they were initially hooked up to there was far too much bass for my tastes (Deckard is warmer than the amps I like). The i4 is a funny IEM because it's an open back planar magnetic and doesn't isolate well at all, which is typically why someone would use IEMs vs headphones.

The JH Angie universal I have are great because you can adjust the bass via bass attenuators on the cable. Perfect for dialing in the IEM's sound signature for your preferences. Although they don't have the soundstage of opened back headphones they perform very well with regard to imaging and detail with great mids (they sound great with the Hugo2 btw).

If you want to try TOTL IEMs it's a slightly different experience from headphones, but not so different that you'd hate one or the other after trying them, IMO. You can get a lot of bass from IEMs but it depends on the IEM and the seal you get with the tips if you don't go for custom fit IEMs. The Hugo2 plays well with IEMs IMHO and I don't hear any hiss (so far) with the JH Angie or the K10 (I do hear a slight hiss with the Mojo).

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #4,913 of 22,511

I'll tell you, I never thought IEMs could challenge good over-ear headphones. And I'll admit I haven't spent quality time with some of the highest-end over-ear headphones. But at NYC Canjam, I spent well over an hour at the Campfire booth going back & forth between Vegas, Dorados, and Lyra 2's. I could've gotten any of them, but honestly, the Lyra 2's spoke to me best, so I bought them. I'm totally addicted--through the Mojo, they just sound so incredibly musical, better than my Oppo PM3 or Senn HD650, and the soundstage is respectable. I can't wait to hear them with Hugo2. So depending on your taste, I think advanced IEMs can hold their own.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #4,914 of 22,511
did you get a chance to compare to the lower priced i20's? also for straleno what is the comfort factor like.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #4,915 of 22,511

I second the Campfire Lyra 2, amazing bang per buck and you can begin to hear what a component of the caliber of Hugo2 is capable of.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #4,916 of 22,511
what about the comfort element for long periods of use. my beyers disappear on my head but with the campfires are you constantly aware you're wearing them and physically feel them.

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #4,918 of 22,511
Does what you say above also mean that a Qute 3 or TT2 won't be in any need of super capacitors either?
Or does this solution you mention ,whatever it is, only apply to HUGO 2?
Or are you actually giving a reason for the lack of galvanic isolation on HUGO 2 and not the lack of super capacitors?
Christer

If you really really want the Hugo 2 to be 'off the grid' and plugged into mains power at all times, you can power it with this: http://www.vinnierossi.com/mini/

And if you want a galvanic isolated USB source just use a Sonore microRendu or SoTM SMS-200 or Uptone ISO-REGEN, all powered by an Uptone LPS-1.

Going by Rob's earlier measurements though, they may not make as much difference with the Hugo 2 as with the Mojo or Hugo 1.

But those two solutions above will keep you isolated from sources and mains power at all times.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #4,919 of 22,511
did you get a chance to compare to the lower priced i20's?

No, admittedly I didn't bother, but they have also been well received. Perhaps you could wander in to specific IEM threads to ask questions directly from owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back