Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 28, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #4,936 of 22,475
Doesnt the aluminium case form an important part of the sound in that it protects from rf noise and the like? In which case might as well make it look nice :)

In the UK Benchmark DAC3 costs more than the Hugo 2, imo in comparison with other dacs the Hugo 2 is good value for money and a very high quality true high end product. Chord and Rob are to be congratulated and are probably a focus of envy and admiration for other dac manufacturers.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #4,938 of 22,475
I've had my Hugo 2 for nearly a month now and have been enjoying its sound immensely. I've kept up with this thread and sense the frustration and patience of those yet to receive theirs.
Sometimes I've thought about chipping back in to this thread but the post partially quoted here has triggered a need to respond.
Your suggestion that Chord has made compromises on sound quality is unfounded and unwarranted. Certainly from what I'm hearing and from everything Rob and John have shared openly on this thread and elsewhere, I see absolutely no indication that any compromise has been made. Additionally, the design choices that Chord has made have significantly improved the usability of the device. Inclusion of a remote control and easily-viewable function indicators, which to me are far clearer than any built-in display, are really worthwhile and useful additions.
May I respectfully suggest that you stick to plain black boxes if you believe that inherently you are therefore getting better electronics?

Felt the need/desire to post your quote, and not just a "like"...WELL SAID, tonyl59 (as with Peter Hyatt's words).

Given especially that this is a 'portable' (for some) device, and therefore prone to some pretty harsh treatment no doubt, then surely, such sturdy construction can only be of real benefit for longevity? I myself would certainly NOT want any corners cut if using it out there in the jungle! And I personally am more than prepared to pay a premium for "Rolls Royce-style" quality of construction over your average (or above-average even) saloon, to use this analogy...:darthsmile:...THANK YOU CHORD!...

Jun 28, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #4,939 of 22,475
I've had my Hugo 2 for nearly a month now and have been enjoying its sound immensely. I've kept up with this thread and sense the frustration and patience of those yet to receive theirs.
Sometimes I've thought about chipping back in to this thread but the post partially quoted here has triggered a need to respond.
Your suggestion that Chord has made compromises on sound quality is unfounded and unwarranted. Certainly from what I'm hearing and from everything Rob and John have shared openly on this thread and elsewhere, I see absolutely no indication that any compromise has been made. Additionally, the design choices that Chord has made have significantly improved the usability of the device. Inclusion of a remote control and easily-viewable function indicators, which to me are far clearer than any built-in display, are really worthwhile and useful additions.
May I respectfully suggest that you stick to plain black boxes if you believe that inherently you are therefore getting better electronics?
Fully agree with you Tony.
Not only that Rob and John have created something really magnificent, both visual, (design and build quality ) and also a very good sounding DAC that i am sure will satisfy the audiophile needs of any music lover, who can't afford the better and more sofisticated Dave.
I find the design simple and very clever at the same time and very easy and simple to use. Included remote control makes controling the device much easier.
I was not a great fan of the lights on Mojo, but this time the Dim function works really well for me and lights are not disturbing even in a poor lit room.
Getting back on the sound, i think this is getting better and better..
May be my brain perception or real burn in, but being able to enjoy such clear and detailed sound is a luxury that wasn't possible few years ago IMHO.
Soon there will be more Hugo 2 owners and their Impressions will be similar.
Take this from me : Hugo 2 will not disappoint anyone in any aspect.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #4,941 of 22,475
I'll tell you, I never thought IEMs could challenge good over-ear headphones. And I'll admit I haven't spent quality time with some of the highest-end over-ear headphones. But at NYC Canjam, I spent well over an hour at the Campfire booth going back & forth between Vegas, Dorados, and Lyra 2's. I could've gotten any of them, but honestly, the Lyra 2's spoke to me best, so I bought them. I'm totally addicted--through the Mojo, they just sound so incredibly musical, better than my Oppo PM3 or Senn HD650, and the soundstage is respectable. I can't wait to hear them with Hugo2. So depending on your taste, I think advanced IEMs can hold their own.

edit

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #4,942 of 22,475
Fully agree with you Tony.
Not only that Rob and John have created something really magnificent, both visual, (design and build quality ) and also a very good sounding DAC that i am sure will satisfy the audiophile needs of any music lover, who can't afford the better and more sofisticated Dave.
I find the design simple and very clever at the same time and very easy and simple to use. Included remote control makes controling the device much easier.
I was not a great fan of the lights on Mojo, but this time the Dim function works really well for me and lights are not disturbing even in a poor lit room.
Getting back on the sound, i think this is getting better and better..
May be my brain perception or real burn in, but being able to enjoy such clear and detailed sound is a luxury that wasn't possible few years ago IMHO.
Soon there will be more Hugo 2 owners and their Impressions will be similar.
Take this from me : Hugo 2 will not disappoint anyone in any aspect.

So once you have the HUGO2 for portable use would it make sense to move up to the DAVE alone or add the Blu2 Mscaler to the HUGO2? Wouldn't then you have 1 million more taps than the DAVE?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #4,943 of 22,475
So once you have the HUGO2 for portable use would it make sense to move up to the DAVE alone or add the Blu2 Mscaler to the HUGO2? Wouldn't then you have 1 million more taps than the DAVE?
Definitely, that once you own Hugo 2 is worth and make sense if you have the money to get Dave and Blu2 Mscaler.
All are really good audio products worth investing in.

Jun 29, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #4,944 of 22,475

Good question. Hugo 2 + m-scaler VS Dave. One that can only be answered by extensive listening over a few days to see which you prefer. Rob Watts might aready know the answer.

If seriously considering this and no need for a cd player then it might be worth waiting to see what chord have in the pipeline for m-scaler tech products. I'd be surprised if only their cd player gets it.

An m-scaler module for Hugo 2 would be nice :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #4,945 of 22,475
Antpipode roon core server plus TT is a thing of wonder, almost Dave what? I will hook it up to Hugo 1 one day, again, I don't use Hugo as a desktop, but the server has brought significant improvements.

Jun 29, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #4,947 of 22,475
I remember reading that Mscaler plus DAC(not DAVE) will get you to half a million taps.

Cheers

Jun 29, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #4,948 of 22,475
Many, but let's just premise that the high quality server market is mucho bucks, cringeworthy to the point that jitterbugs, regent this, nuc that, software app this ... all come in to play and attempt to do what my antipode has done. I won't get into detailed but here is the link with lots of other linked reveiews, company info, specs and Deets, as well as the journey...
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/a...unofficial-guide-down-the-rabbit-hole.851997/
But by taking the iMac, out of play and providing a dedicated ssd drive USB connection to your dac, and these guys are not fooling around at making everything quiet, as well as roon core operation, has resulted in the most significant upgrade to me in data output to my cans.
Sorry for the derail, but I'm sure m scalers or poly all do there part as well, although I don't know them....desktop solutions for desktops this may not be the forum...

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #4,949 of 22,475
Good question. Hugo 2 + m-scaler VS Dave. One that can only be answered by extensive listening over a few days to see which you prefer. Rob Watts might aready know the answer.

If seriously considering this and no need for a cd player then it might be worth waiting to see what chord have in the pipeline for m-scaler tech products. I'd be surprised if only their cd player gets it.

An m-scaler module for Hugo 2 would be nice :gs1000smile:

Rob--

Can you render your opinion?

If one already has a HUGO2 and wants to incorporate it as a better home DAC solution with future upgrade to DAVE leve SQ, what makes most sense if I want to keep the HUGO2 for travel? To have most versatility at best price to performance.

1. Just buy DAVE and call it a day and use HUGO2 for travel.

2. Add Mscaler/Blu2 to HUGO2 and take only HUGO2 when on the road.

3. Which combination will give the best possible SQ??

There is a few hundred dollar differential between the two options with the advantage of a CD transport on the Blu2 but not sure about differences in SQ between these two options and what I would be missing buying either?

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #4,950 of 22,475
im not robb but 1 and buy antipode player for it. Might as well blow the load and get dx.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back