Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 29, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #4,952 of 22,475
I already own an Aurender N100H. Isn't this good enough without spending thousands more $ for antipode??
I have no idea, test them and find out. Antipode is just one of the premium server players out there, kinda like hugo 2 I'm sure you can find cheaper good portables too. by the way dave is 6 times the cost of hugo, don't get all practical and value on us after throwing out these options. :money_mouth:

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #4,953 of 22,475
I can't get my head around one player being better than another when both are streaming bit perfect and both are well isolated, energy efficient, and quiet. For example, I'm using a new generation Apple Macbook - it's very energy efficient, completely silent, completely isolated from mains when running on batteries, and streams bit perfect using a number of apps such as iTunes, Roon, JRiver, Audirvana, etc.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #4,954 of 22,475
I was using imac 5k 2016 model, beleive it.
Concerning bryston versus antipode versus aurender other than software configurations, i opted for roon core, aurlic software is a little difficult, i have no idea. I just opted for one of the best, kinda like i did with hugo when it launched and TT when it launched. All i can say is TT, has been taken to a music sphere i didnt realize could happen.
So back to hugo 2. I just threw out that the value play is jitterbugs, regents etc the best play is ssd desktop servers.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #4,955 of 22,475
Fortunately, for me, I love to stack, so the size of the Hugo 2 isn't that much of a problem. Besides, I carry a bag with me everywhere I go, so I will always have a way to bring it along on my trips.

You'll really love the Hugo 2, IMO. Chord took what was good in the Hugo (and the Mojo) and just boosted the super sauce. Fantastic piece of equipment. :)

Btw, how are you doing? Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope you're doing fine.

Doing well! Haven't been posting as much lately. I guess I've settled in for a while with my current equipment, which is a good thing. Hugo 2 is the first new item in a while that's really got my attention and tweeked my upgrade-itis bug!

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #4,956 of 22,475
I can't get my head around one player being better than another when both are streaming bit perfect and both are well isolated, energy efficient, and quiet. For example, I'm using a new generation Apple Macbook - it's very energy efficient, completely silent, completely isolated from mains when running on batteries, and streams bit perfect using a number of apps such as iTunes, Roon, JRiver, Audirvana, etc.

Interesting to hear that the newer generation macbooks are better isolated than older ones. I am mainly using the last ever 17" MBP with an SSD with my Hugo when travelling.
But it is a bit too big and heavy, 6 lbs, compared to the newer ones.
Could you say from which model and year this applies.
I think mine is from 2013.
I am thinking of getting a new ,smaller and lighter, laptop for this winter but would prefer a model which has still got Firewire 800 or at least usb connections.
I am thinking of a 13" MBP to possibly use with HUGO 2 if it passes my tests and I am able to sell my HUGO first without to much loss.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #4,957 of 22,475
the new MacBooks don't have usb, i think

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #4,958 of 22,475
Jun 29, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #4,959 of 22,475
Interesting to hear that the newer generation macbooks are better isolated than older ones. I am mainly using the last ever 17" MBP with an SSD with my Hugo when travelling.
But it is a bit too big and heavy, 6 lbs, compared to the newer ones.
Could you say from which model and year this applies.
I think mine is from 2013.
I am thinking of getting a new ,smaller and lighter, laptop for this winter but would prefer a model which has still got Firewire 800 or at least usb connections.
I am thinking of a 13" MBP to possibly use with HUGO 2 if it passes my tests and I am able to sell my HUGO first without to much loss.
It may not be too much help, but, why not take a look at the @Baldr thread. Mike Moffet talks about his choices for using Macs and which one he uses, and for what reasons.

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #4,960 of 22,475
When I said isolated I meant from mains electricity as it's running on batteries. If you look on Apple website it's the Macbook entry model, it's the only model that is passively cooled and hence silent, very energy efficient with long battery life. You can control playback using app on iPhone.

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #4,961 of 22,475
I have no idea, test them and find out. Antipode is just one of the premium server players out there, kinda like hugo 2 I'm sure you can find cheaper good portables too. by the way dave is 6 times the cost of hugo, don't get all practical and value on us after throwing out these options. :money_mouth:

Thanks for your tip regarding Antipodes. When you put to devices of this quality together, then something truly amazing happens. This is what it is all about, enthusiasts helping each other to achieve the best possible sound.

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #4,965 of 22,475
I would anticipate no difference in SQ using a mains powered imac and a battery powered apple laptop with headphones and hugo 2. there may be some difference if using an amplifier though with a mains powered desktop and hugo 2.

my dealer rang me yesterday to say he had contacted chord and that my black hugo 2 is now assembled and undergoing final tests. it will be with me next week.:L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back