Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 26, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #11,823 of 22,511
Rob, with desktop mode, will win benefit from using an after market charger like ifi ipower?

Also, will chord provide replreplacem batteries in future?

No don't bother - I can't hear the charger plugged in and out when using headphones. Also don't bother with USB tweaks as these, in my experience, only increase RF noise making it superficially better as it sounds brighter due to more noise floor modulation.

Sure Chord will be able to supply replacement batteries via it's dealer network.

Mar 26, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #11,824 of 22,511
No don't bother - I can't hear the charger plugged in and out when using headphones. Also don't bother with USB tweaks as these, in my experience, only increase RF noise making it superficially better as it sounds brighter due to more noise floor modulation.

Sure Chord will be able to supply replacement batteries via it's dealer network.

Thanks Rob. Regarding USB, your response confirms my experience of listening H2 with both headphones and speakers.

One more question - I am constantly plugging / unplugging RCAs & 3.5mm for switching in/out between speaker and headphone setup. I am worried that I might break the input connectors in H2. Have you guys done any stress test on them?

PS: I cannot say how much I enjoy H2. H2 is all in one solution with perfect musical tonality and transparency! These qualities are really hard to get in my experience...

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #11,825 of 22,511
Excuse my ignorance but why would USB tweaks increase RF? What if my source computer is already loaded with RF? Wouldn't they be able to clean it a little?
I'm using a Jitterbug + Uptone REGEN with my desktop and it made a big difference for me with the Mojo (haven't tried the H2 without them) and I can also hear differences between my desktop and an old laptop even with the tweaks.
Rob has been right about everything so far, so that makes me really question my ears :confused:

Mar 27, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #11,826 of 22,511
Or listen via Bluetooth. = )

Rob,

I had an anomaly happen to me while listening to my Hugo2 via Bluetooth. Not sure if it was from my headphones, cable or the H2. It was in the left ear only, sounded like a loud pop, like someone put a bucket over my head and head it with a drumstick but again it was in the left side only. It was quite a bit louder than the music and quite startling. I've probably listened to Hugo hundreds of hours and never heard anything like this. Actually my left ear is hurting a bit from it. I took the song back and tried to replicate it but was unable to. I was using my 64 Audio A18's and the Hugo was not plugged into a charging source it was running off battery. Hope everything is fine, anyone know what it might have been? I also tried wiggling my headphone connector and was not able to reproduce the effect.

No never heard that, but my experience of Bluetooth is very limited. We use a high quality module that handles everything, so it's most likely to be an issue with the source.

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #11,827 of 22,511
I want to share a few early impressions about data connections. I noticed a better sound streaming from tidal master using
pc -> xonar u5 (normal usb cable) -> optical cable -> hugo2
than using
pc -> hub usb3 -> hugo2.

Using instead a 3mt usb audioquest forest:
pc-> hugo2 the difference between optical and usb dissappeared.

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #11,829 of 22,511

Must concur with Rob about battery replacement. My Hugo1's battery was replaced with no problems. I seem to recall Hugo2's easier.

Mar 27, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #11,830 of 22,511
Excuse my ignorance but why would USB tweaks increase RF? What if my source computer is already loaded with RF? Wouldn't they be able to clean it a little?
I'm using a Jitterbug + Uptone REGEN with my desktop and it made a big difference for me with the Mojo (haven't tried the H2 without them) and I can also hear differences between my desktop and an old laptop even with the tweaks.
Rob has been right about everything so far, so that makes me really question my ears :confused:
I use the exact same tweaks; they helped the Hugo1. I've never removed them from my H2 chain, but I love the sound so much that at least, I think they're doing no harm.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #11,832 of 22,511
...Also don't bother with USB tweaks as these, in my experience, only increase RF noise making it superficially better as it sounds brighter due to more noise floor modulation...
Rob, is this you ...or an impostor? This goes against much of what you have said before. The elimination of RF is the goal, no?

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #11,833 of 22,511
Keep it on, desktop mode keeps the voltage on the battery at a safe level for longevity POV, and ensures that the bulk of the current needed for Hugo 2 comes from the charger not the battery.
What about the longevity of the electronics?

How much current does the Hugo₂ consume during inactivity? After all it stays quite warm, so the heat is produced by the used current, obviously. From an ecological POV I'm inclined to just turn it on when I use it.

Mar 27, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #11,834 of 22,511
Keep it on, desktop mode keeps the voltage on the battery at a safe level for longevity POV, and ensures that the bulk of the current needed for Hugo 2 comes from the charger not the battery.

I think I am a bit worried about the Hugo 2 desktop mode. In desktop mode, my H2 seems to go through heating and cooling cycles. Very like the Mojo when fully charged and left plugged in.

Since the Hugo 2 is meant to run more from charger in desktop mode, it's got me worried. The power button does go purple. However when in cooling and warming cycles, the Hugo 2 gets quite warm sometimes. Meaning it is for sure charging and playing. It does it too regularly though. Like if mostly it was playing music from the charger it would not often charge and platy, meaning get quite warm. (It also gets quite cool sometimes, and it makes me think it's running using battery.)

It is the regularity of the cycles of cooling and warming that are making me worried. If this Hugo 2 was using power adapter for playing. Then occasionally topping up battery, wouldn't the cooling and warming cycles be very spread out. Whereas mine heats and cools quite often. ... I thought the Hugo 2 would barely ever need a top-up charge in desktop mode.

Maybe I have it wrong though. Maybe mine is just using more battery than usual.

If I recall correct the Mojo charged then cooled (when plugged in all the time) maybe every fifteen minutes or a bit longer or shorter. The Hugo 2 seems to have longer cycles, like maybe every half hour. ... To be fair though, I can't be accurate about these cycle times, as I don't monitor it like a hawk. I just notice that my Hugo 2 is getting quite warm, on a regular basis, when in desktop mode.

Any assurance from Rob or anyone please would be so very appreciated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back