Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 23, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #11,731 of 22,481
Hi Chikolad, I posted my subjective impressions of Toslink vs pimped out USB (v1.4 microRendu running on battery + optically isolated ethernet + Uptone USPCB hard adapter) a couple of pages ago.

I'm a little sad today because while my Lifatec glass fiber was fine with 192kHz with TOSLink with my Hugo2, my brand new Dave (received today) is struggling with 176kHz and 192kHz on TOSLink and results in static at those sample rates and flashing screen on Dave's display.

I have a few different TOSlink sources that work at 192kHz and DoP64 with my Hugo2 without any issues (Mac computer, USB converter, Bluesound Node 2 network streamer) but these same sources and TOSlink cables give me static with Dave :frowning2:

Even my Mojo (before getting Hugo2) was fine with 192kHz using the exact same TOSlink sources and glass fiber cables.

Dave website states 24/192kHz compatibility with TOSlink and I know my sources and cables are capable with 192Khz and DoP64 super reliably with Hugo2 (never a single dropout with my Hugo2 for the last 6 months), so hopefully it can be resolved in the background with my dealer and Chord.

The SQ leap from Hugo2 to Dave is incredible, straight out of the box, but I do need 24/192kHz working reliably on TOSLink like it's supposed to, like I had working with Mojo and Hugo2.

Link to my previous TOSlink vs USB impressions (both very positive with Hugo2) here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-777#post-14115278
I'll be debt free in 4 years so I'll be getting a Dave then

Mar 23, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #11,732 of 22,481
Why don’t we wait for 2go, and wait 4 years to see what’s what then, keep your options open

Mar 23, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #11,733 of 22,481
Yuppi! Just received my new Hugo2!! Very excited and I will write my consideration soon as my brain finish to burn and I want to compare it with mojo and idsd BL (sadly I sold modi MB last month) . Just a suggestion about desktop mode, if it was possible to activate manually or if was possible to avoid full charging when switching unit off while charger is in... it would be so nice as now I sleep with purple/red light in my room....
Cheers!!

Mar 23, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #11,734 of 22,481
I'm a little sad today because while my Lifatec glass fiber was fine with 192kHz with TOSLink with my Hugo2, my brand new Dave (received today) is struggling with 176kHz and 192kHz on TOSLink and results in static at those sample rates and flashing screen on Dave's display.

I have a few different TOSlink sources that work at 192kHz and DoP64 with my Hugo2 without any issues (Mac computer, USB converter, Bluesound Node 2 network streamer) but these same sources and TOSlink cables give me static with Dave :frowning2:

Even my Mojo (before getting Hugo2) was fine with 192kHz using the exact same TOSlink sources and glass fiber cables.
Most likely it's a fit problem between the Toslink plug and DAVE's optical socket. In this case you could use a sharp knife or razorblade on the Lifatec plug to make sure that the plug gets deep enough into the socket if that's possible. It could also be that there are just some dust particles in the socket.

Mar 23, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #11,735 of 22,481
Most likely it's a fit problem between the Toslink plug and DAVE's optical socket. In this case you could use a sharp knife or razorblade on the Lifatec plug to make sure that the plug gets deep enough into the socket if that's possible. It could also be that there are just some dust particles in the socket.

Hi JaZZ. The glass fiber Lifatec plug is one of the slimmer ones available and firmly clicks in (into both Toslink ports), which is what I've always looked for, over years of using numerous Toslink sources and Toslink cables.

The supplied TOSlink cables don't work either at 176kHz and 192kHz either (but I do realise those are plastic).

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #11,736 of 22,481
What I mean is that the slim end piece that has to fit into the socket may be a tiny bit too short to perfectly reach the optical receiver. So cutting half a millimeter or the like from the larger part that stops it may help. Is the signal more stable while you're pressing it into the socket?

Another possibility is some dust particles in the optical socket. I had this problem more than once – since I regularly swap the cable between Hugo₂ and DAVE.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #11,737 of 22,481
Is the signal more stable while you're pressing it into the socket?

Nope, no difference. Just static.

Another possibility is some dust particles in the optical socket. I had this problem more than once – since I regularly swap the cable between Hugo₂ and DAVE.

Did you just blow with your mouth to clear dust? I realise dust may build up over time, especially since Dave's TOSlinks ports don't have a dust flap/door (like Hugo2 has) but this is a brand new unit with plugged ports.

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #11,738 of 22,481
Yes, I blew it out with my mouth, and that helped. The dust problem never occurred with the Hugo₂, just with the DAVE.

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #11,739 of 22,481
Yes, I blew it out with my mouth, and that helped. The dust problem never occurred with the Hugo₂, just with the DAVE.

Noted, I realise the same, that Hugo2 never has dust issues because it has a door/flap for dust protection.

Blowing both Dave's TOSlink ports didn't help anyway.

Rather frustrating because not being able to play 192kHz vis TOSlink is a show-stopper for me.

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #11,740 of 22,481
Hi Chikolad, I posted my subjective impressions of Toslink vs pimped out USB (v1.4 microRendu running on battery + optically isolated ethernet + Uptone USPCB hard adapter) a couple of pages ago.

Link to my previous TOSlink vs USB impressions (both very positive with Hugo2) here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-777#post-14115278
I realize now that I already read your comparison :) I wasn't aware that is was you and with the MuRata converter.
So why is it that you keep going back to the microRendu? Is it because of the higher bitrates or that you think you're missing anything in the sound? While the TOSlink is less fatiguing, maybe it's more bland? Sorry for all the questions :)

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #11,741 of 22,481
I realize now that I already read your comparison :) I wasn't aware that is was you and with the MuRata converter.
So why is it that you keep going back to the microRendu? Is it because of the higher bitrates or that you think you're missing anything in the sound? While the TOSlink is less fatiguing, maybe it's more bland? Sorry for all the questions :)

Hi Chikaload, those comments were for Hugo2 with TOSlink.

As of today I've got a bigger issue at the moment with Dave and TOSlink which I need to tackle first. I'll get back to your questions in detail when I've sorted out this rather large expense and Day 0 issue with my dealer and Chord.

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #11,742 of 22,481
What I mean is that the slim end piece that has to fit into the socket may be a tiny bit too short to perfectly reach the optical receiver. So cutting half a millimeter or the like from the larger part that stops it may help. Is the signal more stable while you're pressing it into the socket?

I've just shaved the end of one of my Lifatecs, to allow it to go inside a bit more. Blown any dust out too and I still get static.

I'm out of options. I've tried multiple TOSlink sources and cables known to pass 192kHz reliably without any dropout or static.

So this issue should be very reasily reproducible and repeatable for the dealer.

Mar 23, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #11,743 of 22,481
good luck there....

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #11,745 of 22,481
Hi Chikaload, those comments were for Hugo2 with TOSlink.

As of today I've got a bigger issue at the moment with Dave and TOSlink which I need to tackle first. I'll get back to your questions in detail when I've sorted out this rather large expense and Day 0 issue with my dealer and Chord.
Good luck solving your Dave issues! I'm sure they will be, whether a repair or replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back