Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 29, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #9,647 of 22,500
UELong windows imho is the best platform for connecting to chord dacs to take full advantage of dedicated chord drivers and the advantages considering that faulty usb data packets are not processed 'optimally' by macs.

Let's correct some things here. Chord uses a USB receiver chip made by a company that, like all USB audio chips, requires drivers for high-res on Windows, because Microsoft have continually not updated the USB audio software built into the system. John or Rob can correct me if I'm wrong, but Chord's drivers are likely the drivers supplied by the manufacturer of the USB receiver, but rebranded.

I don't know where you got that idea about USB packets on Macs. The way USB is set up on mainstream computers is not the most optimum for audio transmission, as USB chips generate noise while processing, and the most processing they need to do, the more noise is generated, which can negatively affect sound quality in a DAC.

Does anyone know if the Chord Hugo 2 micro usb 5V 2A charger is a standard one, not a special charger designed by Chord?

It has been answered, but "yes". To charge at full speed whatever you use needs to be 2.1A or greater.

don't risk it. for 100% peace of mind use the one the manufacturer gives you. i believe in tweaking all parts of a system apart from power.

Knowing beats guessing.

ok... at the risk of sounding paranoid I have to ask this: my last desktop DAC was grounded as it had the classic 3 prong power cord, but since the Hugo 2 SMPS is a 2 prong one, does the battery powered Hugo 2 (and reflectively the MoJo) need to be grounded?

No. Unless there is a problem I wouldn't worry about it. I live in Japan, where only a a couple of outlets in the house are grounded/earthed (those for the washing machine, fridge and air conditioners) for safety. I gather a lot of houses in the US have the ground and neutral connected, instead of using separate lines anyway.

Dec 29, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #9,648 of 22,500
on the same subject the blu2 manual stipulates that it must be earthed. how do you actually do that? would that matter in the UK?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #9,649 of 22,500
on the same subject the blu2 manual stipulates that it muse be earthed. how do you actually do that? would that matter in the UK?

Uk is easy as the 3 pin 13A plug and ‘kettle’ leads supply the earth as a matter of course. In other countries if there is no earth then there is a safety issue but also it means the casing is not earthed and is less effective for keeping out stray interference. But then I am sure they are used to dealing with what they have.

Dec 30, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #9,650 of 22,500
thanks for the clarification and a happy new year to you.:o2smile:

Dec 30, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #9,652 of 22,500
yes to everyone on headfi.......:L3000:

Dec 30, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #9,653 of 22,500
For the 1st time my H2 shut down on me automatically a few times yesterday. I was listening for about 2 hours and it was hot to the touch, I think that’s why it shut off. A little disappointed, my Sennheiser HDV820 can go for 7-8 hours during a 12hr work shift easily without over heating and shutting down.

Dec 30, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #9,654 of 22,500
For the 1st time my H2 shut down on me automatically a few times yesterday. I was listening for about 2 hours and it was hot to the touch, I think that’s why it shut off. A little disappointed, my Sennheiser HDV820 can go for 7-8 hours during a 12hr work shift easily without over heating and shutting down.

what's the temperature in your room?
I used H2 for 15h without any problems but my room is around 20C.

Dec 30, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #9,655 of 22,500
what's the temperature in your room?
I used H2 for 15h without any problems but my room is around 20C.

I did have it in it’s Hugo leather case and room temperature was around 23C/75F. Was playing a mix of .DSF files and streaming from Tidal HiFi. Maybe I need to leave it out the case for extended playing time.

Dec 30, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #9,656 of 22,500
I did have it in it’s Hugo leather case and room temperature was around 23C/75F. Was playing a mix of .DSF files and streaming from Tidal HiFi. Maybe I need to leave it out the case for extended playing time.
Definitely you need to keep it out of the case especially indoors and make sure it always rest on a hard flat surface,not a carpet,cloth etc.
Doing that you will be able it to use it a very long time without getting it overheated.

Dec 30, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #9,657 of 22,500
Personally, I wouldn't use a high processing power device within a leather case if the ambient temperature is sufficient to make me uncomfortable if I was wearing a leather jacket, especially since my own processing power is questionable in comparison to such a device!

Dec 30, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #9,658 of 22,500
I be so afraid of it getting scratched up or damaged... i mean I’ll have to sell this when the new H3 comes out Hahahaha lol... I’m going to have another 6hr+ run without the case to see how long it plays my music.

Dec 30, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #9,659 of 22,500
Since a noisy (acoustically and electrically) internal fan was not an option, that fast FPGA needs to dissipate heat passively via the casework (just as Mojo does, too).

That's not to say leather cases are a total no-no, but some allowances are necessary, depending on typical ambient temperatures. Unless my desktop was particularly cluttered, I'd be inclined to use a leather case only when using Hugo for portable duty.

Speaking more generally (and not in relation to leather cases), if I lived somewhere with persistently warm/hot ambient temperature, I'd offer Hugo a helping hand. Since Hugo1/2 is larger than Mojo,I wouldn't recommend placing it on its side (to improve heat dissipation), as it might topple over too easily, but I suppose one could at least raise it off the desktop by half and inch or so, using a pencil eraser at each corner, to serve as 'feet'.

Dec 30, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #9,660 of 22,500

Were you using a charger of more that 2.1A?

If so, that would cause it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back