Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 12, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #8,386 of 22,475
I had another session with HUGO 2, deciding whether to trade in my hugo to hugo 2, beside built improvement sound wasn't altered significantly enough for me to trade in my perfectly good DAC with extra 2.5k AUD on top of it.
However all will change if HUGO 2 has a ROON ready attachment. The more I use ROON the more I'm becoming dependent on it. I am still in trial period but I can see myself buying the lifetime in a heartbeat only if I can have a wireless option for it.

Anyone knows what will HUGO 2 attachments will be?
Chord are hoping to announce the 2Go at CES in January. Any predictions on this thread are speculative, but can still be interesting.

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #8,387 of 22,475
Any Roon users on this thread? I've got a question for you..

PC 》 Hugo 2 》 LCD-i4 + LCD-XC (both plugged into Hugo 2.

Which DSP setting should I choose on Roon if I want both headphones playing at the same time... XC or i4? Or maybe something else.

Thanks

Both outputs are connected together, so you can't select individual headphones.

I had another session with HUGO 2, deciding whether to trade in my hugo to hugo 2, beside built improvement sound wasn't altered significantly enough for me to trade in my perfectly good DAC with extra 2.5k AUD on top of it.
However all will change if HUGO 2 has a ROON ready attachment. The more I use ROON the more I'm becoming dependent on it. I am still in trial period but I can see myself buying the lifetime in a heartbeat only if I can have a wireless option for it.

Anyone knows what will HUGO 2 attachments will be?

You could just set up a Raspberry Pi 3B with DietPi. That's what I did. It has an option to enable a Roon-ready server.

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #8,388 of 22,475
Chord are hoping to announce the 2Go at CES in January. Any predictions on this thread are speculative, but can still be interesting.
That's true. I should learn to govern my mouth. In fact, I'm hoping for a device that's blind-guy friendly, (buttons as well or rather than a touchscreen), 1 or 2 card slots for my SD or microSD cards and your Roon for those who want it. That way, I could use the H2 as a somewhat bulky DAP, since my other DAP is disfunctional. Anyway, that's my wish. Oh yeah, perhaps a tiny little micro M-scalar?

Oct 12, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #8,389 of 22,475
At CES, I am expecting a 2Go module and/or a HugoTT-2 that we can all begin to talk about. However ...If the 2Go is just a streaming module it better be quite affordable ...matching machined aluminum case notwithstanding. There is so much competition in this space and I don't know if the H2 is better served by making it more unwieldy to carry around. Does the Hugo2+2Go combo need a case? Does the 2Go better anchor the Hugo2 as a desktop unit? If so, should it be named 2Stay?

And what then of the HugoTT2? You would expect it is a 'Table-Top' version of the Hugo2 (with similar FPGA and specs I presume) and likely priced between the Hugo2 and DAVE. But with talk of 2Go, Hugo2 + MScaler integration then I wonder what plans Chord has to position and differentiate TT2. Better analog output? Integrated 2Go streaming? More inputs in a world moving rapidly to digital/wireless?

We'll see...

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #8,390 of 22,475
Tt2 will be next summer or the next.( my guess) It’s already has superior analogue outputs but chord is being very quiet concerning recapturing the desktop mid market leadership. Lots of effort to the high end, lower end silence on mid.
Interesting times but I’m not getting ch2 very happy with ch1, but very interested in Tt2. Can’t wait for that tour and head to head.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #8,392 of 22,475
There is nothing really chord products don’t play well, unless you don’t like chords sound. The only question is what did you find

I spent about two hours listening to a bunch of rock, serious pop, folk rock, folk using my own SD card in a dem Questyle QP2R + Focal Utops at The Indulgence Hi-Fi Show in London recently. There was definite treble hotness in some instances, the same treble hotness/too revealing nature etc mentioned in Currawong's and Iornic's YouTube reviews. Ditto during the interview by the Head-Fi guy with the French guy from Focal when he compares the Utop to the Clear HP's.
I bought a black Hugo 2 last Friday as it paired so well with my K812's and after it arrives in about 4 weeks time and it's run in, I will borrow the dem Utops and have a proper home listen with a much greater variety of music. I have 'older' ears so if I am discovering treble hotness (with some of my albums, I imagine the average younger Head-Fier might also?). I loved what the Hugo 2 did for my K812's so it's not that I have any concerns about the Chord kit, more that I have a concern, subject to a proper home listen, regarding the Utops

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #8,393 of 22,475
I spent about two hours listening to a bunch of rock, serious pop, folk rock, folk using my own SD card in a dem Questyle QP2R + Focal Utops at The Indulgence Hi-Fi Show in London recently. There was definite treble hotness in some instances, the same treble hotness/too revealing nature etc mentioned in Currawong's and Iornic's YouTube reviews. Ditto during the interview by the Head-Fi guy with the French guy from Focal when he compares the Utop to the Clear HP's.
I bought a black Hugo 2 last Friday as it paired so well with my K812's and after it arrives in about 4 weeks time and it's run in, I will borrow the dem Utops and have a proper home listen with a much greater variety of music. I have 'older' ears so if I am discovering treble hotness (with some of my albums, I imagine the average younger Head-Fier might also?). I loved what the Hugo 2 did for my K812's so it's not that I have any concerns about the Chord kit, more that I have a concern, subject to a proper home listen, regarding the Utops
I have a feeling that older ears are more sensitive to hot treble. I don't enjoy my Grados like I use to, for example.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #8,394 of 22,475
I have a feeling that older ears are more sensitive to hot treble. I don't enjoy my Grados like I use to, for example.

Ha ha, don't think so. Surely 'older' ears gradually lose the ability to hear treble as capably as younger ears and that's why, when a local council/authority wish to discourage groups of teenagers gathering in certain places, they install a device that emits a high frequency that older ears can't hear. I've read many posts on Head-Fi when older ones fessed up to the growing loss of high frequency hearing. And anyway, blokey who did the interview with Frenchie on Head-Fi isn't very old (unless he's had loads of PS, only joking). Currawong, just looks old when he's bearded up :k701smile:

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #8,395 of 22,475
I spend only a little time here on head-fi as I prefer to listen through speakers if possible but when I want to find headphone related opinions and/or reviews this is still the first place to visit, and as such I thought I would send out a little thank you to all those who find the time to write all the useful posts and especially the time to write some quite extensive reviews.

Also whilst I am here a much bigger thank you to John F & Rob W for producing the most fabulous piece of hifi equipment, the Hugo2 . I collected mine in mid June from my dealer in Hull UK, and within 10 days had sent them a quick first impressions email (which i believe may have been forwarded to a Chord representative) in which i mentioned the most important things for me which were the vast amount of detail, and the sheer musicality.

I am using a black model, suited to the dark sound of my HD650 'phones :) and have not had a single issue of any kind with it, no unusual rattles, no overbright sound, all inputs and outputs work as expected, volume knob is beautifully weighted and awesomely smooth, finish is perfection, but all of that is bettered by the sound quality.
Thank you again John & Rob

Now back to thousands of CDs that I need to re-listen to, to hear all the missing parts other DACs never let me hear.

P.S. Regarding shaking expensive items of HiFi, portable or otherwise, does anybody really think this is a good idea? I'm sure nobody would ever pick up and shake a turntable to see if it rattles!!

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #8,396 of 22,475
^ The only fly in the ointment, the price £1800!

tenor.gif

Oct 12, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #8,398 of 22,475
Ha ha, don't think so. Surely 'older' ears gradually lose the ability to hear treble as capably as younger ears and that's why, when a local council/authority wish to discourage groups of teenagers gathering in certain places, they install a device that emits a high frequency that older ears can't hear. I've read many posts on Head-Fi when older ones fessed up to the growing loss of high frequency hearing. And anyway, blokey who did the interview with Frenchie on Head-Fi isn't very old (unless he's had loads of PS, only joking). Currawong, just looks old when he's bearded up :k701smile:
I was serious. You've no doubt, heard older people complaining about high volume, n'est pas? Tinitis and such? It ain't no "ha ha" joke. Some of us who make marginal livings with our ears, might have trouble with higher frequencies sounding harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back