Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 9, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #8,341 of 22,467
Bought H2 for portable use, but now it's doubling as my desktop setup!

9f343YD.jpg

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #8,344 of 22,467
Looking forward to your review!
I just ordered the Hugo2, getting it end of the week. Prior to buying the H2 I did some extensive listening and comparing sessions, all with my beloved utopia, for my taste definitely the best headphone on earth. The combo of the H2 and the utopia is simply perfect, detailed powerful... anything you could wish for. Is there better? Most probably, yes, (Dave?) but for the price... I haven’t found it.
BTW i’m Looking for a closed back Utopia... any suggestions what I should try?

Oct 10, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #8,345 of 22,467
I just ordered the Hugo2, getting it end of the week. Prior to buying the H2 I did some extensive listening and comparing sessions, all with my beloved utopia, for my taste definitely the best headphone on earth. The combo of the H2 and the utopia is simply perfect, detailed powerful... anything you could wish for. Is there better? Most probably, yes, (Dave?) but for the price... I haven’t found it.
BTW i’m Looking for a closed back Utopia... any suggestions what I should try?
This can be quite controversial, but I would say Ultrasone Jubilee 25 or Tribute 7.

Oct 10, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #8,347 of 22,467
I see that you owned the Z1r. Why did you sell them? Ever listened to the Ether C flow
I tried to like Z1R, but they did not excite/entertain me enough compared to other cans.
When I bought Ether Flow, I did A/Bed against C Flow at my FLAS (Favorite Local Audio Store) for more than an hour. Ether Flow had more natural presentation to my ears.
BTW, I brought my Hugo 2 to do the comparison.

For some reason, Ultrasone HPs sound to my ears as if they are open back. I like how open back HPs sound. At the same time, Ultrasone has good isolation and does not bother other people near me with what I'm listening to. That's why they are ideal cans for me. YMMV.

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #8,349 of 22,467
Finally got my Valentinum leather case today.
It took over a month to get it, but fit the H2 like a glove, i’m really satisfied.

I ordered one too. Hoping it doesn't take a month to get here. Does it feel like it will do a decent job of protecting the H2? I am deathly afraid that my heavy cables will pull the unit off the table onto the floor. Do the elastic bands do a good job of holding the source or does it feel like an iPhone or AK unit will fall out?

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #8,350 of 22,467
I ordered one too. Hoping it doesn't take a month to get here. Does it feel like it will do a decent job of protecting the H2? I am deathly afraid that my heavy cables will pull the unit off the table onto the floor. Do the elastic bands do a good job of holding the source or does it feel like an iPhone or AK unit will fall out?

It looks very well made, the leather is thick and all the corners are protected, i use it mostly as a desk amp, connected to my MacBook, an iPod or iPhone (not the plus) can fit without a problem, but I’m afraid anything bigger could stretch the elastic bands.

Still for the money is a excellent product.

Oct 10, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #8,351 of 22,467
It looks very well made, the leather is thick and all the corners are protected, i use it mostly as a desk amp, connected to my MacBook, an iPod or iPhone (not the plus) can fit without a problem, but I’m afraid anything bigger could stretch the elastic bands.

Still for the money is a excellent product.

I also got the Valentinum case for my Hugo 2 today, in all black. Looks good, the leather is quite thick and it fits well. A good product for a reasonable price! Very satisfied.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #8,354 of 22,467
two days at large retail electronic store trying to get questions answered about which speakers work with Hugo 2.

End result: frustration, conflicting info, unable to demo, more confused, but salesman bought a Mojo and drooled over H2.

Ask here. There's not much to it. If the store is confusing you then that is pretty poor.

Yeah please compare the yggy to the hugo 2 as much as possible this is the sort of objective review Ive been looking for and sadly only one I could find is by currawong and at this point hes not even subtle about his bias towards chord

Never. I don't want anything to do with him.

Then why do you keep mentioning me? I guess you missed my buying an Yggdrasil to replace the original Hugo in my system, and that every time I have gone to LA, I would visit Schiit Audio and spend a few hours chatting with Jason and Mike. I also take the time to meet and chat with John and Rob when they are in Japan. Likewise a number of other manufacturers who are run by people who are very clever, talented and interesting and who have contributed much to our hobby.

You need to stop hanging around people who just like to crap on others because they've decided to hate on one manufacturer while sucking up to another. I guess if you're rather interact with people like that than those who insist on maintaining honesty and integrity, that's your call.

As I've said repeatedly, we should be incredibly grateful for the amazing gear we can buy now from a number of manufacturers. The great headphones and amazing digital gear are almost entirely the result of Head-Fi. Schiit Audio, Chord's Hugo and Mojo, most Audio-gd products, Audeze, HiFiMan, iFi and quite a few other brands would not exist (or would barely exist) if it weren't for this site. The dishonest a-holes who crap on HF, would not have a hobby if it weren't for HF. You don't have to like anyone or any company, but appreciate that you have the choice.

Edit: I had a chat with D2Girls and there's no animosity.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #8,355 of 22,467
I also got the Valentinum case for my Hugo 2 today, in all black. Looks good, the leather is quite thick and it fits well. A good product for a reasonable price! Very satisfied.

Any heat issues with the leather case? Mine already gets pretty warm when charging, not sure if a thick case would be good for heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back