Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 12, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #751 of 22,546
Sorry for late remark here, but galvanic isolation is trivial. All you need to achieve it is a powered usb hub and they are a dime a dozen... It can not be a deal breaker since it is very simple to fix.

Aby details to this thought? You will be introducing more rogue energy to the dac by a powered hub I am sure. ON the other hand, usb galvanic isolators/insulators are commonly found on ebay, so maybe that would help?

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #752 of 22,546
USB isolator use some kind of clean power in USB out. mojo needs USB power for 'handshake'.so it will all depend how clean that USB power in those USB isolators . ifi idefender has the option of using external clean USB power. imho if that USB is supplied by some kind of clean battery power , it should do the trick of isolation. i believe chord poly would already be addressing those issues and with poly any type of USB isolation device should not be needed.

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #753 of 22,546
btw I use few audioquest jitterbugs and ferrite chokes while feeding mojo through USB out of my Lenovo laptop, to the point that there is no further audible improvement in blackness of the sound background of mojo. this trick avoids any active device like USB isolators and can benefit to all DACs .

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #754 of 22,546
USB isolator use some kind of clean power in USB out. mojo needs USB power for 'handshake'.so it will all depend how clean that USB power in those USB isolators . ifi idefender has the option of using external clean USB power. imho if that USB is supplied by some kind of clean battery power , it should do the trick of isolation. i believe chord poly would already be addressing those issues and with poly any type of USB isolation device should not be needed.

Yes.

The principle sources of electrical noise pollution can be:

• electrical noise that enters the 'source>mojo system' through the mains power supply
  • RFI that enters via the interconnect cables
  • electrical noise that is generated internally

A poly or 2go that is operating on battery power, will eliminate sources 1 and 2, and I expect that Rob Watts and Chord will have done their best to eliminate source 3.

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #755 of 22,546
btw I use few audioquest jitterbugs and ferrite chokes while feeding mojo through USB out of my Lenovo laptop, to the point that there is no further audible improvement in blackness of the sound background of mojo. this trick avoids any active device like USB isolators and can benefit to all DACs .

For anyone keen on trying the Jitterbug, artsexcellence have had a 3 for 2 offer for a long time.
https://artsexcellence.com/sale/audioquest-jitterbug-3-2-actie.html

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #756 of 22,546

no you only need to use the external power with idefender if your dac is usb powered. I have one.

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #758 of 22,546
from the jitterbug measurements iv seen it added distortion to the signal

I've had one Jitterbug using for my Mac and Mojo.

I have to say... I did notice it sound different, when comparing using Jitterbug with not.

However, it doesn't sound any better to my ear. Just different.

So I actually quite regret getting this little thing. Kind of wasting my money I feel.

Pros: The sound being warmer. Bass going slightly deeper.
Cons: The tremble being splashy now, fatiguing. The soundstage being noticably smaller. Dynamic is less as well.

Well, the tremble used to be strident, but now it's just becoming splashy. Although you may say splashy is slightly better than strident... But the result is still far from ideal. By saying ideal, I mean I definitely have heard much much better result on my Mojo, by using a different source purifier device than Jitterbug.

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #759 of 22,546
Aby details to this thought? You will be introducing more rogue energy to the dac by a powered hub I am sure. ON the other hand, usb galvanic isolators/insulators are commonly found on ebay, so maybe that would help?

The point is that you isolate the dac from electric crud coming out of your computer. I don't really have any further "details to this".

What "rogue energy" is it that you are talking about? 

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #760 of 22,546
Yes.

The principle sources of electrical noise pollution can be:
  • electrical noise that enters the 'source>mojo system' through the mains power supply
  • RFI that enters via the interconnect cables
  • electrical noise that is generated internally

A poly or 2go that is operating on battery power, will eliminate sources 1 and 2, and I expect that Rob Watts and Chord will have done their best to eliminate source 3.

On this note, anyone tried the sonore microrendu and (uptone) ultra caps lps1 linear conditioner with their laptop music and DAC?
I just found a microrendu (mint lightly used)...Now looking for power supply.
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/01/classy-sonores-microrendu-takes-digital-audio-higher/

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #761 of 22,546
Feb 13, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #762 of 22,546
Since there are so many wishful thinking/suggestions for the add-on module of Hugo2, I’d like to suggest making two different versions if Chord has too many compromises in design and manufacturing.

1. “2Go” for a portable application similar to Mojo + Poly as many forum members requested and is currently in the processing ….

2. “2TT” for table-top application as an upgrade to 2Qute or HugoTT with the sound quality approaching mini-DAVE! So why not add the USB input with galvanic isolation? And secondly, as table-top component (no restriction of power consumption), it’s possible to implement a tricker-down processor of M/2, M/3, or M/4-Scaler to up-level the Hugo2 to a Half-million, One-third Million, or just a Quarter Million tap-length DAC!

This could be a disruptive technology for the whole DAC industry with the sound quality challenging even a stand-along DAVE! I had the audition between HugoTT and DAVE few months ago (using iPad as 16-bit/44.1kHz USB source with HD800). The difference is sort of day-and-night level, completely brain washed! There is no way of return; however unfortunately, the cost of DAVE is unachievable for the most of audiophiles. 

Just my hopeful suggestion!

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #763 of 22,546
  Since there are so many wishful thinking/suggestions for the add-on module of Hugo2, I’d like to suggest making two different versions if Chord has too many compromises in design and manufacturing.

Just my hopeful suggestion!

I am with you. Chord may make wonderfully sounding products, but why are they so addicted to quirky design? If I could have something like a mojo with RCA outputs and a plug in to power and forget way of charging I would buy one today. Those simple things should cost very little to add, and could lead to sales of hundreds of thousands of units... The way the mojo is now makes me kind of want it, but I would rather wait until they actually sort the thing out. And, what were they thinking when they put that BNC plug on the 2qute instead of an RCA input? On their tea break maybe?

Looking at Chord products now I can't help but think, why in the world can't they keep things simple and user friendly instead of fancy looking and not quite there? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back