Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 11, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #736 of 22,546
  off topic. is there such a thing as an analytical tube amp? or is this a contradiction? Might one of the filters come close to it?

Heard many good impressions of Microzotl2 http://www.lineartubeaudio.com/microzotl/.  It was mentioned in this thread few pages ago, actually.
Never heard of personally, but this might be something you are looking for.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #737 of 22,546
They have had the same date displayed for several weeks, which probably means:

1. If there have been a lot of hugo 2 pre-orders, and all the initial relatively small batches are already now 'reserved', then the date should have been updated
  2. There have been only a few hugo 2 pre-orders, and the date is still realistic

Given the number of posts from people saying that they are keen to buy the Hugo 2, part of me would expect no. 1 to be appropriate.

The rest of me suspects that all the 'keen  buyers', are waiting until we get some more user reviews, not based on findings from a noisy camjam environment - so the number of pre-orders could still be relatively small. 

I have my doubts on a early ship date like this. It was not long ago that Chord said they were investigating a way to obtain larger batteries from their supplier so they could work on extending the quoted battery life

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #738 of 22,546

I know this was a joke, but nonetheless; Is there a theoretical possibility to connect two dacs parallel to make them act as dual mono? how to split the usb signal? I happen to have two dacs of the same model, so I could try to play with it :).

O recon this is foolish idea as I cannot imagine how to connect the dacs in a way that would enhance the signal processing quality...

Oh, to keep the post at least in the general direction of the topic (or at least near Chord), I am currently listening David Bowie's Lodger, Tidal via SMSL X-USB, coax to Qute HD and rca to Cayin IHA6. Even though I heard this album hundreds of times (though not the best of Mr. Bowie's work, it is my first album of his I ever bought), and I cannot stop wondering what was hidden from me until now. I really cannot cease to be amazed what Qute does with plain CD quality...

Don't call it a foolish idea, but a 'thought experiment' instead.

A few months ago, I wondered if it was possible to take some of the 5.1 music tracks, and then split them into 3 two channel streams (front L + R) (rear L + R) (centre + subwoofer), which would be output through 3 usb ports, and used as the input to 3 mojos. I concluded that it must be possible to generate the three usb streams using a computer and existing open source software, but unfortunately the biggest issue would be keeping all 3 of the usb streams in sync.
Rob Watts talks a lot about the importance of nS timing accuracy to help get the accurate position and depth of the sound stage, so I concluded that if all the three usb streams are out of sync, even if by only tenths of a second, you will lose all the accuracy in the sound stage. At that point, I ended the thought experiment.

When Chord designed their streamer, they were able to keep all the signal streams in sync on the circuit board, but for mere mortals like me it is impossible to achieve. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #739 of 22,546
My opinion would be biased by two factors. I uso mojo without external amp AND with different phones (MOJO > Audeze sine, HD > Cayin IHA6 > HE560) That being said, I like mojo very much, but not as much as my "adult" setup. Since I received my Qute HD last week, I am spending most of my listening time in the attic with Hifimans on my head, as I love the rich sound. Never heard Hugo though, so I cannot compare with that beast.

Now I am pondering how to upgrade next. Hifiman edition X, Hugo 2 or 2Qute... :)

Have you tried Mojo > Cayin IHA6 > HE 560? That would be a fair comparison vs the Qutie Pie :p

Btw, the Edition X paired with either Hugo or Mojo sounds excellent. It's a really addictive combo.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #740 of 22,546

Don't call it a foolish idea, but a 'thought experiment' instead.

A few months ago, I wondered if it was possible to take some of the 5.1 music tracks, and then split them into 3 two channel streams (front L + R) (rear L + R) (centre + subwoofer), which would be output through 3 usb ports, and used as the input to 3 mojos

Problem with me is that I am not very technically able myself (physics and engeneering is to far from how I earn my daily bread). Last time I went to solder something myself it got to a local newspaper (just joking, but you got the picture :) ). Problem is, I tend to have very schematic view on the technical matters issue.

I believe yours was a little bit different excercise - having 6 channels processed as 3 stereos. I cannot imagine how to process one signal by a stereo pathway in a way that would be beneficial to the SQ. But maybe it's only my limited imagination and skill. As I stated before, I could write libraries worth of books about thinks I DON'T know about audio processing and engeneering, and I am grateful there are the Chord guys to do the work instead of me :wink:

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #741 of 22,546
Have you tried Mojo > Cayin IHA6 > HE 560? That would be a fair comparison vs the Qutie Pie :p

Actually I had, and was a little bit underwhelmed when compared to 2qute qute HD. I blame the 3.5mm to rca cable (a cheapo freebie I got with an order - better than nothing for sure, but that's about it).

I can try with better cable, but it will take some time to procure one. :)

Btw, the Edition X paired with either Hugo or Mojo sounds excellent. It's a really addictive combo.

Yeah, I have heard. I will get a pair soon, believe me :)

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #742 of 22,546
  Problem with me is that I am not very technically able myself (physics and engeneering is to far from how I earn my daily bread). Last time I went to solder something myself it got to a local newspaper (just joking, but you got the picture :) ). Problem is, I tend to have very schematic view on the technical matters issue.

I believe yours was a little bit different excercise - having 6 channels processed as 3 stereos. I cannot imagine how to process one signal by a stereo pathway in a way that would be beneficial to the SQ. But maybe it's only my limited imagination and skill. As I stated before, I could write libraries worth of books about thinks I DON'T know about audio processing and engeneering, and I am grateful there are the Chord guys to do the work instead of me :wink:

Not as different as you make out. 
wink.gif

You were talking in terms of feeding one stereo signal, to two DACs - the big issue is still the same, ie keeping the two DACs in sync. If the processing inside one of your two DACs results in the output signal being out of sync with the other DAC, then you lose the timing accuracy which allows your brain to form the sound stage from the stereo channels.

The issue gets even worse with the 3 DACs in my thought experiment, because it would be potentially possible for the rear speakers to start outputting sound, a fraction of a second before the front speakers - so your brain would tell you that the musicians were placed behind you.

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #743 of 22,546
Actually I had, and was a little bit underwhelmed when compared to 2qute. I blame the 3.5mm to rca cable (a cheapo freebie I got with an order - better than nothing for sure, but that's about it).

I can try with better cable, but it will take some time to procure one. :)

Yeah, I have heard. I will get a pair soon, believe me :)

The cable makes all the difference. Even a $10 cable from Amazon will do a good enough job and show you its potential.

I didn't know you had a 2Qute. You prefer Qute HD to 2Qute?

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #744 of 22,546

Please don't dismiss your abilities like that. 
regular_smile .gif

The best engineering designs, start with a thorough examination at the schematic modelling level - and this is effective at identifying missing knowledge, or a bad design very early on.
It is only once the designs have passed this stage, that engineers start to consider the fine detail of the design, and later still the algorithms and equations.

The ability to think through problems/issues at a schematic level, saves a lot of wasted effort on impractical detailed designs. 
wink.gif

Viva the schematic model.

Feb 11, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #747 of 22,546
They were still investigating as of last weekend.

If that is the case it is going to be two months before the US sees any. I say May at the earliest, imho.

Feb 11, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #748 of 22,546
If that is the case it is going to be two months before the US sees any. I say May at the earliest, imho.

I'm ok with that. It give me some time to save up for the Hugo 2.

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #750 of 22,546
If hugo 2 does not have galvanic isolation then it's not fit for purpose as a home\main system DAC and I really don't see the point of it as mojo already does a great job as a portable DAC.

If the Hugo 2 does have galvanic isolation then it makes the TT and 2qute redundant.

Sorry for late remark here, but galvanic isolation is trivial. All you need to achieve it is a powered usb hub and they are a dime a dozen... It can not be a deal breaker since it is very simple to fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back