Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 21, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #6,151 of 22,475
Hello again, I couldn't agree with you more regarding your favourite operas. The Mozart operas you mention contain some of the most sublime "high information content music" in the entire history of western classical music.
Rarely a day passes, in my own insignificant little life, without listening to at least some music by that genius. And in precisely those operas his genius shines the most brightly imo.
I would also add the early operatic masterpiece Die Entführung aus dem Serail to my list of absolutely essential Mozart operas.
I must confess though that I am rather unfamiliar with baroque operas.
Do you have any hi res recordings of Tamerlano or Rinaldo to recommend?
I don't buy 16/44.1 downloads at all other than some exceptional historic recordings of music not otherwise available.
Cheers and enjoy both your operas and your HUGO 2.
Christer

Hello, just some disk I like particularly

Mozart - Le Nozze: either Kleiber or Currentzis both 24/96
Mozart - Don Giovanni - Giuliani 1961 or Currentzis both 24/96
Meistersinger - Karajan 16/44
Rinaldo - there is a very nice (very high quality recoding) with Cecila Bartoli 16/44
Tamerlano - Xavier Sabato 24/96
Verdi - Rigoletto w Pavarotti 24/96

Ps from the above - besides the mozart recordings, rinaldo w Bartholi is really exceptional, both re content and sound quality

You will enjoy them

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #6,153 of 22,475
Does anyone have an issue where the X-PHD button doesn't "pop" when you press it like the other buttons? I just picked my unit up last weekend and it's been bothering me. I don't get the nice tactile button press that the other buttons give me. It's more mushy and sticky.

Have you spilled anything sticky, like Coke onto it? Are there any cleaning instructions.?

Jul 22, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #6,157 of 22,475
I’ve had my Hugo2 for 3 days now. I have done a good session of A/B back and forths with my Hi-Fi system as well as some headphones in a shop. From what I have heard the brain can’t remember the quality of sounds for very long, so for me switching between products in quick succession is how I have gathered my findings.

I’ve compared it to my 2Qute. My speakers are ELAC BS244 and my amp is the Yamaha A-S2100. The Hugo2 is slightly more resolving in this system. This is a compliment to the 2Qute, in that the Hugo2 didn’t wipe the floor with it, and it takes concentration to hear the differences for me in this system, though they are noticeable enough once I pick what parts to listen for. The Hugo2 has, to my ears, the same tonal signature with a bit more depth and separation, mid/upper frequencies have a bit more clarity (I especially noticed this on guitars sounding slightly clearer and this is where I am most pleased). When I first bought the 2Qute, I auditioned it to next to the Qute and Audiolab M-DAC and settled on the 2Qute. The margin between the Qute and 2Qute is a similarly slight leap in quality that took the same concentration to identify. These margins aren’t so huge they would impede my enjoyment of the music to me, I just like to know I am getting the most I can with the system I have. With the Hugo2 in my system however, I can’t say I noticed a difference in the presentation of bass. Not to say I am at all disappointed in that, I’ve never considered the 2Qute’s rendering of bass to be anything other than super pleasing. That may say something about my system (or ears) because when some people compare the Hugo1 (same taps as the 2Qute) to the Hugo2 they report better bass and that would likely come down to the right headphones revealing that.

If it was just to be used solely as a desktop solution I wouldn’t have bothered making the leap due to the high expense involved, I would still be pleased with the 2Qute. But now can sell it and delve into headphones/IEMs and have the versatility to take it with me with headphones (or plug into friend’s systems easily) as I did with my now sold Mojo. It is a more versatile product with improved sound, I have to say I am super impressed they could fit it all in the size it is. I consider it portable on the go audio, I use a backpack and my legs shall not break with the addition of 400g for when I choose to walk around with it with IEMs, I am pretty strong I know. I shall use a neoprene mesh style pouch to keep it scratch free. It is a very well designed and implemented machine, I got the black one and the finish is excellent.

It took a moment to get used to the sound on my Sure 535 IEMs. The new detail in the mid/upper regions made me think for the first time they lacked bass. The brain adjustment thing seems real. I don’t remember thinking this with the Mojo. This was an unusual experience, because I never considered them to be lacking in that department before. I think this is an interesting addition to what other people have been saying about the Hugo2 which boils down to it makes you hear your headphones as they are.

I found my Sure SE535 the most resolving I have heard them, but I learned they could be more fun. I auditioned of the Campfire Vega and the Dorado. More fun. The Vegas were the warmest, as Currawong has said on youtube the bass on the Vegas is “thunderous". Any basshead who wants more bass from these is probably a basehead. Cohesive is a word I've also heard of them. True. The Dorado IEMs had similarly fun bass and a certain crispness that may or may not be preferred to the tone of the Vega, they have balanced armatures only for the upper ranges for more resolution. I also heard the Sennheiser HD800s and the HiFiMan HE1000. They both sounded similar, great detail with nice air. The HE1000 having a slightly different tone, like slightly more mellow, in the high frequencies to my ears. They both have pleasing well balanced bass to my ears and I enjoyed them both. I didn’t get the feeling from my headphone/IEM auditions that the Hugo2 was lean. The comparison between them all just let me know my SE535 IEMs are leaner than I previously thought but still a pleasing listen through the Hugo2. This might be a takeaway a previous member posted about thinking the Hugo2 was too lean with the HD800s. There are headphones with a bassier sound signature if equalisation doesn't work.

For my purposes, I am steering towards the Vegas unless the Andromedas are compelling over them when I get to hear them (they were out of stock at the time). Anyone who owns the Campfire Vege IEMs, does the bass get too much over a while? May be a preference thing, that is my only thought against them but I imagine listening at lower levels whilst still getting great bass is something that would be better for my long term hearing.

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #6,159 of 22,475
I’ve had my Hugo2 for 3 days now. I have done a good session of A/B back and forths with my Hi-Fi system as well as some headphones in a shop. From what I have heard the brain can’t remember the quality of sounds for very long, so for me switching between products in quick succession is how I have gathered my findings.

I’ve compared it to my 2Qute. My speakers are ELAC BS244 and my amp is the Yamaha A-S2100. The Hugo2 is slightly more resolving in this system. This is a compliment to the 2Qute, in that the Hugo2 didn’t wipe the floor with it, and it takes concentration to hear the differences for me in this system, though they are noticeable enough once I pick what parts to listen for. The Hugo2 has, to my ears, the same tonal signature with a bit more depth and separation, mid/upper frequencies have a bit more clarity (I especially noticed this on guitars sounding slightly clearer and this is where I am most pleased). When I first bought the 2Qute, I auditioned it to next to the Qute and Audiolab M-DAC and settled on the 2Qute. The margin between the Qute and 2Qute is a similarly slight leap in quality that took the same concentration to identify. These margins aren’t so huge they would impede my enjoyment of the music to me, I just like to know I am getting the most I can with the system I have. With the Hugo2 in my system however, I can’t say I noticed a difference in the presentation of bass. Not to say I am at all disappointed in that, I’ve never considered the 2Qute’s rendering of bass to be anything other than super pleasing. That may say something about my system (or ears) because when some people compare the Hugo1 (same taps as the 2Qute) to the Hugo2 they report better bass and that would likely come down to the right headphones revealing that.

If it was just to be used solely as a desktop solution I wouldn’t have bothered making the leap due to the high expense involved, I would still be pleased with the 2Qute. But now can sell it and delve into headphones/IEMs and have the versatility to take it with me with headphones (or plug into friend’s systems easily) as I did with my now sold Mojo. It is a more versatile product with improved sound, I have to say I am super impressed they could fit it all in the size it is. I consider it portable on the go audio, I use a backpack and my legs shall not break with the addition of 400g for when I choose to walk around with it with IEMs, I am pretty strong I know. I shall use a neoprene mesh style pouch to keep it scratch free. It is a very well designed and implemented machine, I got the black one and the finish is excellent.

It took a moment to get used to the sound on my Sure 535 IEMs. The new detail in the mid/upper regions made me think for the first time they lacked bass. The brain adjustment thing seems real. I don’t remember thinking this with the Mojo. This was an unusual experience, because I never considered them to be lacking in that department before. I think this is an interesting addition to what other people have been saying about the Hugo2 which boils down to it makes you hear your headphones as they are.

I found my Sure SE535 the most resolving I have heard them, but I learned they could be more fun. I auditioned of the Campfire Vega and the Dorado. More fun. The Vegas were the warmest, as Currawong has said on youtube the bass on the Vegas is “thunderous". Any basshead who wants more bass from these is probably a basehead. Cohesive is a word I've also heard of them. True. The Dorado IEMs had similarly fun bass and a certain crispness that may or may not be preferred to the tone of the Vega, they have balanced armatures only for the upper ranges for more resolution. I also heard the Sennheiser HD800s and the HiFiMan HE1000. They both sounded similar, great detail with nice air. The HE1000 having a slightly different tone, like slightly more mellow, in the high frequencies to my ears. They both have pleasing well balanced bass to my ears and I enjoyed them both. I didn’t get the feeling from my headphone/IEM auditions that the Hugo2 was lean. The comparison between them all just let me know my SE535 IEMs are leaner than I previously thought but still a pleasing listen through the Hugo2. This might be a takeaway a previous member posted about thinking the Hugo2 was too lean with the HD800s. There are headphones with a bassier sound signature if equalisation doesn't work.

For my purposes, I am steering towards the Vegas unless the Andromedas are compelling over them when I get to hear them (they were out of stock at the time). Anyone who owns the Campfire Vege IEMs, does the bass get too much over a while? May be a preference thing, that is my only thought against them but I imagine listening at lower levels whilst still getting great bass is something that would be better for my long term hearing.

me - not see answer earlier this thread, generally speaking the tonal balance is quite similar to lcd series. I have vega and lyra 2. Like them both and they are both superior imho to isin 10 (w/o lighthening) and 535. So far, vega is one of the few which pleaes me similarly as lcd's or stax. Tried also sure lsh 1500 in a shop an liked it less.

I guess the trick of vega is that itvis very clear and rather neutral w exception of the slight emphasis of bass. Certainly it can not relace lcd 4, sr 007 but is considerably more transportable - besides the struggle of all lcd's at the airports security checks (they mostly do not get the xray picture of a planar system..)

Btw isine 10, is very good, unfortunately not stable enough for me after sitting on it plasic deformed... not the case (yet) with Campfire

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #6,160 of 22,475

I concur with your comparison to the 2Qute. The Hugo2 is slightly more resolving, but it doesn't present a significant improvement over the 2Qute, like it does when compared to the Mojo. I had to listen long and hard to spot the differences. Bass is slightly less "bloated," more refined, and I can spot a bit more detail. That being said, I am strongly considering leaving my 2Qute exactly where it is and using Hugo2 for portable use exclusively. This says alot about the 2Qute. Tremendous value DAC in my opinion.

Jul 22, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #6,161 of 22,475
how'd you get the lines STICKY?!?!?!!?

Hmm he possibly spend almost all his money for H2 (not H) and had only enough left for sticky Speed...

Now listening Alkaline Trio 'This addiction'
:D

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #6,162 of 22,475
Hello, just some disk I like particularly

Mozart - Le Nozze: either Kleiber or Currentzis both 24/96
Mozart - Don Giovanni - Giuliani 1961 or Currentzis both 24/96
Meistersinger - Karajan 16/44
Rinaldo - there is a very nice (very high quality recoding) with Cecila Bartoli 16/44
Tamerlano - Xavier Sabato 24/96
Verdi - Rigoletto w Pavarotti 24/96

Ps from the above - besides the mozart recordings, rinaldo w Bartholi is really exceptional, both re content and sound quality

You will enjoy them

I fear we are maybe getting too far OT for some here, but thanks for the recommendations .
I already have the Currentzis Figaro and via my Benchmark and HE1000V2 it sounds clearly easier on my ears than via HUGO and musically it is becoming the one I play most often of My Figaros.
On LPs I also have the classic DGG /Böhm mid 60s recording and Colin Davis's Philips set from a bit later and in slightly better SQ than DGGs.
Don Giovanni same as you on LPs. But I just saw that it has been released as a hi res download. Not sure if hi res can improve the rather thin early EMI SQ though. But yes musically it is wonderful.
Meistersinger Karajan on LPs and Pentatone/Janowski live as 24/96 download
Rigoletto both the original LP DECCA set and the 24/96 download.
It is quite a good example of what 24/96 can deliver from a well recorded analogue mastertape over what rbcd can.
Another good example of the same is the classic DECCA Turandot recording from the same period, which I also have both on LPs and as hi res download.
Unfortunately there is still a lack of modern opera recordings in hi res and ones that musically rival the classic recordings.
But I will look into your Handel recommendations for sure. Cheers Christer

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #6,164 of 22,475
me - not see answer earlier this thread, generally speaking the tonal balance is quite similar to lcd series. I have vega and lyra 2. Like them both and they are both superior imho to isin 10 (w/o lighthening) and 535. So far, vega is one of the few which pleaes me similarly as lcd's or stax. Tried also sure lsh 1500 in a shop an liked it less.

I guess the trick of vega is that itvis very clear and rather neutral w exception of the slight emphasis of bass. Certainly it can not relace lcd 4, sr 007 but is considerably more transportable - besides the struggle of all lcd's at the airports security checks (they mostly do not get the xray picture of a planar system..)

Btw isine 10, is very good, unfortunately not stable enough for me after sitting on it plasic deformed... not the case (yet) with Campfire

I read on the internet someone saying this trick to let more air in, used in the link below, makes the Vegas lessen in bass for those that want less, I guess a matter of choice. I find it a fascinating prospect, I like a bit of air, that may end up being my preference.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/jvc-ha-fx850-iem-woody.703874/page-28#post_11162329

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back