Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 21, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #6,136 of 22,475
Wanted: A Custom Sony NW-WM1A/Z Line Out Dock cable to micro USB for my Hugo 2. Any sources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

With Sony Cradle BCR-NWH10, you can use any USB cable you want.
Here is my setup:
Sony Walkman WM1A -> Sony Walkman Cradle BCR-NWH10 -> AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable -> Hugo 2 -> Hifiman HE1000 V2

The cradle was originally designed for ZX2, but it works nicely with WM1A/Z even with the official leather cover.

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #6,137 of 22,475
Wanted: A Custom Sony NW-WM1A/Z Line Out Dock cable to micro USB for my Hugo 2. Any sources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

You should take a look in the Mojo thread...

Cheers

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #6,138 of 22,475
@rcoleman1 I think this is the info that @audi0nick128 was referring to (taken from post #3 in the Mojo thread) - Note this is for mobile use.
@Giraku mentions a different dock/cradle for desktop use (see the following post)
IMPORTANT : It is YOUR responsibility to make sure that the cable you are buying correctly fits the connectors on your equipment. None of these links are official endorsements.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FF086HE

Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable for Hi Res Audio Output

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #6,139 of 22,475
@rcoleman1 I think this is the info that @audi0nick128 was referring to (taken from post #3 in the Mojo thread).
@Giraku mentions the same connector
IMPORTANT : It is YOUR responsibility to make sure that the cable you are buying correctly fits the connectors on your equipment. None of these links are official endorsements.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FF086HE

Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable for Hi Res Audio Output

The cradle I'm using is this:
https://www.amazon.com/Walkman-Crad...0644899&sr=8-1&keywords=Sony+Cradle+BCR-NWH10

This is for desktop use not mobile. Since the cradle powers the WM1A, you don't need to worry about the battery level.
For mobile use, the one miketlse mentioned is better.

I use this cradle setup when my MacBook Pro is handling some heavy computational tasks (I'm a bioengineering researcher).
Usually I use MacBook Pro + Audirvana Plus to feed my DACs.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #6,140 of 22,475
Interesting, I haven't tried it with the Mojo yet. But before this update, the Hugo2 cut out every couple of minutes; last night I listened for three hours without a hitch.

no issues here with an iPhone 6s+ upgraded to 10.3.3 into CCK--->Jitterbug---->Mojo. Note I am using the newer USB 3 CCK
with upgrade firmware........if not already using the newer, larger CCK it may be worth a try!

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #6,141 of 22,475
no issues here with an iPhone 6s+ upgraded to 10.3.3 into CCK--->Jitterbug---->Mojo. Note I am using the newer USB 3 CCK
with upgrade firmware........if not already using the newer, larger CCK it may be worth a try!

I have not experienced any problem using iPhone 7 Plus (iOS 10.3.2) with CCK using NePlayer -> Hugo 2.

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #6,142 of 22,475
I have not experienced any problem using iPhone 7 Plus (iOS 10.3.2) with CCK using NePlayer -> Hugo 2.
I don't want to turn this into an iphone thread and obviously there were some documented problems, but I will add that regardless of the DAC used, my iphone has dropped the signal in the past which required me to power cycle the DAC or unplug and plug it back in. In my case, with the iphone SE at least, I think I was experiencing background app contention for the USB port. As an example, I was listening to music with HF Player but had Tidal, Spotify, and/or other apps running in the background. If I kill all audio apps expect the one I'm actually using, I do not get any drops. If I forget to kill one I get a periodic drop. I haven't noticed any with the Hugo 2 but I typically run that off of my MAC.

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #6,143 of 22,475
Hmm, there has been a lot of talk about the rattling issue. But in a tropical climate where at least I personally would be using a HUGO2 a lot, it might be a blessing in disguise. There might be less risk of them getting stuck and inoperable,as the little buttons on my Benchmark did too often under non A/C condititons.
As far as the colour issue is concerned I listen to music via my dacs. I don't look at them more than when turning them on or off.
But the little Christmas Tree lights on HUGO 2 are a bit worrying if they can't be turned off completely.
Hello Christer

I actually prefer big headphones and was always carrying my lcd x with me. Since the broke down in HK I bought the vegas, firstly because I wanted to listen to Music and secondly because I have too many big headphones. Ultimately I was pleasantly surprised by the vega's... As soon I have lcd-x will travel withthem together w Vega, sleeping w lcdx on the head = challenging...

Now back to bassy opera: this depends on frequency range you consider bassy. I like very much Handel, Mozart, Donizetti, and you agre right, there are places with sub-bass (such as Haendel Rinaldo, where a thunderstorm is creared by vibrating a metal plate), but For example Le Nozze di Figaro is not too heavy on bass...

What are my favorites: Mozart - Le Nozze, Don Giovanni, Cosi van tutte, Zauberfloete, Haendel - Tamerlano, Rinaldo, Wagner - Meistersinger, Ring, Fliegender Hollaender, Donizetti, Monteverdi.

re Headphones in airlines, fully agree, I use normally the audeze' because the quality of the supplied ones is inadequate

Hello again, I couldn't agree with you more regarding your favourite operas. The Mozart operas you mention contain some of the most sublime "high information content music" in the entire history of western classical music.
Rarely a day passes, in my own insignificant little life, without listening to at least some music by that genius. And in precisely those operas his genius shines the most brightly imo.
I would also add the early operatic masterpiece Die Entführung aus dem Serail to my list of absolutely essential Mozart operas.
I must confess though that I am rather unfamiliar with baroque operas.
Do you have any hi res recordings of Tamerlano or Rinaldo to recommend?
I don't buy 16/44.1 downloads at all other than some exceptional historic recordings of music not otherwise available.
Cheers and enjoy both your operas and your HUGO 2.
Christer

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #6,144 of 22,475
rufus wainwright wrote a nice opera that was panned by the "aficionados" i enjoy it. generally not into opera, joined as a season ticket holder one year, that was enough.
concerning classical there is a host of contemporary composers from max richter to peter gregson to johann johannsson and many others i follow. But as far as the classics sure vivaldi but really does anything matter after bach. Ahhh bach to quote winchester from MASH.
My lossless files are fantastic through the antipode, cheap and plentiful to acquire

Jul 21, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #6,145 of 22,475
Hmm yeah Opera may be ' High Information Conten music' but to me the thought of watching a scripted performance underlinded by music is somewhat bewildering...but hey each to their own.

Just listened to the record 'old habbits die hard' from the 'Kings of Nuthin' and boy the piano and the upright bass are on fire...thats a live performance :D

Jul 21, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #6,146 of 22,475
Up and running...I'll check back with impressions in a bit

Attachments

• 20170721_124520.jpg
    20170721_124520.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Jul 21, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #6,148 of 22,475
Like the cable

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #6,150 of 22,475
Does anyone have an issue where the X-PHD button doesn't "pop" when you press it like the other buttons? I just picked my unit up last weekend and it's been bothering me. I don't get the nice tactile button press that the other buttons give me. It's more mushy and sticky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back