Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 16, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #4,487 of 22,546
Who sells their Hugo?, doh, Hugo 3 :stuck_out_tongue:
Have you checked the forums?
There are quite few Hugo.
People making room to the greater Hugo 2
Which will make room for the greater Hugo 3, that's why you will sell Hugo 2.
Not as good when you got to explain...
Until Hugo 3 comes out if it ever does is a very long way my friend.
Save for it, try it, buy it, high quality sound reproduction can't get any better at the moment in portable.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #4,488 of 22,546
Jun 16, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #4,489 of 22,546
Have you checked the forums?
There are quite few Hugo.
People making room to the greater Hugo 2

Until Hugo 3 comes out if it ever does is a very long way my friend.
Save for it, try it, buy it, high quality sound reproduction can't get any better at the moment in portable.

Just chain yanking based on a poster wanting the best resale value for a product he hasn't acquired yet....
Upgrades are inevitable no one is immune, I'm good with my chord products acquired and enjoyed for years already. However based on a few key poster impressions that have yet to review, and the Canadian tour that has yet to start, I may get first hand knowledge and consider pouncing on blk Friday or Boxing Day sales, we shall see, no rush.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #4,490 of 22,546
Unfortunately, the early test report last week on HiFiNews said that the silver units have a 5% quieter noise floor. Apparently the anodizing process to get to black impacts the magnetic fields around the chipset. You might not notice it on the black unit - and it's only 5% - but I would have gone with the silver.

It probably will impact resale values - so you might want to reconsider if that's important to you.

Doody
Hello, could you place the source of the news?

Best regards

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #4,491 of 22,546
Hello, could you place the source of the news?

Best regards

His imagination!

200.webp

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #4,493 of 22,546
Hi guys, while browsing Ebay an interesting listing was recommended for me.

Looks like someone in the UK is selling their silver Hugo 2. There haven't been any photo's of it on this thread so I thought I should share them in case anyone wants to go for a silver unit instead of black :sunglasses:

hugo 2 silver.jpg hugo 2 silver 2.jpg

hugo 2 silver 3.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #4,494 of 22,546
Hi guys, while browsing Ebay an interesting listing was recommended for me.

Looks like someone in the UK is selling their silver Hugo 2. There haven't been any photo's of it on this thread so I thought I should share them in case anyone wants to go for a silver unit instead of black :sunglasses:

Why don't we Yanks and Cannuks start a bidding war and push up the price to ridiculous levels. Something to pass the time during our looong wait.

Jun 16, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #4,497 of 22,546
Are u referring to the British print magazine?
Your statement sounds like they tested several units of each colour... How is that even possible?
Really hope/think that this is down to measurement faults or something else...

Cheers

How would those 5% translate in terms of SNR in dB?
It seems Hugo 2 has an A-weighed value of 126 dB.
Which is the same as my current home DAC and now roughly five years old Benchmark DAC2 which in its new version DAC 3 boasts 128 dB SNR.
Hegel's DAC 30 boasts 140 dB SNR.
When the same magazine tested it they said it was the quietest DAC they had ever tested and they rated it very close to DAVE too in other respects.
It also costs roughly half of what DAVE costs.
I don't know the corresponding values for my Hugo, I find no such value mentioned online. I vaguely remember 122 dB or something similar? But apart from its much higher susceptability to really annoying interferences RF and such than both my earlier Hegel HD 25 and my current Benchmark DAC 2 which is very well isolated I have also found my Hugo to be noisier ie more hiss than the Benchmark both via headphones and when I still tried to use it in my home system.
I tried last week just to see if my memory had fooled me but was quickly disappointed by Hugo in my system, where it won't work with my best rca cable a Chord Indigo Plus cable which cost roughly as much as little Hugo when I got it.
I read a few posts back that even HUGO 2 seems to have problems accepting high end cables.
My Indigo Plus makes a night and day difference from my Audioquest cables in my system.
If HUGO 2 is both in need of additional expensive isolation units and even won't accept my Indigo Plus I may look elsewhere.
For me it is not enough if something is superior in theory. It needs to be so in practise to!
Unlike many here I will sit this out and test HUGO 2 thoroughly before committing,if at all.
I trust only my own ears and the most demanding test material large scale complex acoustic music.
Three years with HUGO has made me a bit wary and not a totally convinced fanboy any longer.
Sometimes it is better for" your wallet", to have some patience than jump onboard a new product carried away by all the hype around it..
Another thing that has me thinking a bit is how to interpret the need for those filters with HUGO 2 is, will I need to use them for
HI RES?
Is that where they are most needed?
And if so why?
I listen to 99 % of my music at 24/88.2 and above in pcm and some DSD.
Moreover does HUGO 2 really do DSD natively without any decimation?
The slight reservations I had with DAVE concerned some of my DSD masterfiles in particular.
I know how it sounded both live and at sessions playback and DAVE did indeed puzzle me there.
I have to admit I did not fully grasp Rob's post regarding those filters on HUGO 2.
I am after buying the HEK V2 pretty happy with the SQ I get from both My Benchmark and surprisingly with the best recordings, my SACD player too, not to mention my LP12 and many of my LPs. I am not really suffering from any serious "audiophilia nerviosa" at the moment.
I am basically enjoying my music a lot with the equipment I have.
I am not using HUGO at home. I know its limitations too well by now.
Well, if I could get my hands on a pair of those "Extreme Audio" MAAT Behemoth 300 pounds each speakers I auditioned during my last day in-Singapore about a month ago, I would be even closer to audiophile heaven than ever before.
The realistic bass from the two 15" bass cones on each side of two gigantic towers was the most effortless undistorted SQ I have ever heard from any speakers.
I will never be able to afford those speakers, but HUGO " sure, but first it will be put through some serious tests from me.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #4,500 of 22,546
As long as it's by Boxing Day I'm good :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back