Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 15, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #4,472 of 22,537
Hi Mike, no. 2 in the queue took the solitary silver H2. i continue to wait for a black unit hopefully July or earlier according to dealer.

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #4,473 of 22,537
But that was the entire conversation? I don't see where they say that it has 0.35% THD at 1W and the other technical data for it.

I am also not sure I understand the concept in the first quote entirely.

Yup, that's the whole thing. It's a digital amp. Rob obviously looked up the device and doesn't think much of it. Considering Rob is building his own digital amp I'm sure he's biased toward a well measuring output.

Jun 16, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #4,476 of 22,537
But that was the entire conversation? I don't see where they say that it has 0.35% THD at 1W and the other technical data for it.

I am also not sure I understand the concept in the first quote entirely.
I interpreted the 'sales pitch' to mean that the Dnote feeds a digital signal to the speaker driver, rather than a normal analogue signal. Consequently the driver is fed a signal consisting of voltage steps, with the smoothing between the steps being non-existant. This lack of smoothing, will be the main 'driver' for the relatively high level of distortion.
If you want to use the Dnote to drive Wireless speakers at a picnic, you may not notice the distortion, but if you are trying to listen to orchestral music as realistically as possible, you may run away screaming. :ksc75smile:

Jun 16, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #4,478 of 22,537
Any US guys get notice yet?
Not a peep, Gramps.

And not for lack of asking (politely) :triportsad:

No responses (like, literally, no response) from Chord, Bluebird, or dealers.

Sigh.

Last info I did get was about three weeks ago and it was simply "sometime in June" and it was clearly a semi-educated assumption - more than a guess or anything based on real data.

Doody

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #4,479 of 22,537
It has saved you needing to make a decision that you may later regret.

Unfortunately, the early test report last week on HiFiNews said that the silver units have a 5% quieter noise floor. Apparently the anodizing process to get to black impacts the magnetic fields around the chipset. You might not notice it on the black unit - and it's only 5% - but I would have gone with the silver.

It probably will impact resale values - so you might want to reconsider if that's important to you.

Doody

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #4,480 of 22,537
Who sells their Hugo2?, doh, Hugo 3 :stuck_out_tongue:

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #4,483 of 22,537
Have you checked the forums?
There are quite few previous model.
People making room to the greater Hugo 2 :)
Which will make room for the greater Hugo 3, that's why you will sell Hugo 2.
Not as good when you got to explain...

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #4,484 of 22,537
Unfortunately, the early test report last week on HiFiNews said that the silver units have a 5% quieter noise floor. Apparently the anodizing process to get to black impacts the magnetic fields around the chipset. You might not notice it on the black unit - and it's only 5% - but I would have gone with the silver.

It probably will impact resale values - so you might want to reconsider if that's important to you.

Doody

Are u referring to the British print magazine?
Your statement sounds like they tested several units of each colour... How is that even possible?
Really hope/think that this is down to measurement faults or something else...

Cheers

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #4,485 of 22,537
Are u referring to the British print magazine?
Your statement sounds like they tested several units of each colour... How is that even possible?
Really hope/think that this is down to measurement faults or something else...

Cheers

Fear not, just scrape the black anodizing off and you're good to go! :upside_down:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back