Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 10, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #2,746 of 22,475
Apple designs their own chips and they are best in class I can assure you. Plus they're actually manufactured by TSMC at 16nm, not by Samsung. You have no idea what you are talking about with regards to chip design, so please stop spreading ignorance within the tech community.
If you google it Samsung do make chips for the iPhone so I'm not being ignorant at all,they are saying 75% of parts of the next iPhone will be made by Samsung, read up on it and don't be shooting the messenger!

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2,747 of 22,475
  I can't make up my mind about getting a new USB A to USB Micro or go with my old Supra cable with an adapter. The cable I was thinking of buying to the Hugo 2 is a Nordost Purple Flare USB:
http://www.nordost.com/leif/purple-flare/purple-flare-usb2.0-cable.php

I have been running the Mojo with a cheap USB micro cable for a while because I simply can't make up my mind. There are very few USB A to USB Micro choices for the moment.

Not really a point of spending that kind of cash on usb cable unless its only for aesthetics.

Rob has working hard filtering the usb inputs for Hugo2

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #2,749 of 22,475
Its exciting news. Christmas release, if possible, would be great fun.

Miketise, a week in Geneva's French restaurants has utterly changed me and my wife. The food was amazing.

We should be returning to the south of France this summer. I already miss the coffee!

The flight will be better, however, with Hugo2!

Glad you both enjoyed it Peter.

I will PM you tomorrow, but in the meantime, here is a coffee to dream about. https://www.maxicoffee.com/cafe-gra...e-gourmand-250g-cafes-lugat-p-15336-6_58.html

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #2,755 of 22,475
Unfortunately I won't be buying the hugo 2,the reason I'm so interested is because I hope they do a 3 qute in a year or so.Remember that What hifi competition to win a Chord Dave,well some girl won it,does she come on here?Was devastated I never won.Imagine that feeling of winning the Chord Dave

I'm really into a 3qute based into chord new tech !
Maybe MR. Rob can chime in some information?
It would be so great!

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #2,756 of 22,475
After 98 pages, not many impressions of the Hugo 2. I'm still in the fence on getting this dac. I love the form factor and portability of unit, but I do wonder if it can compete with the Schiit Yggy at around 2.2k. 2.2k is a steep price and yes it comes with a lot of bells and whistles, but sq matters at the end of the day. I have my Sony WM1A for portability, so looking for a desktop unit.

Is there a good ab comparison with the Yggdrasil?

TBH, I heard it at Canjam NYC, and I wasn't floored by the performance. I owned a mojo for almost a year, so I was expecting a revelation for the price difference. Yes there is better treble performance, no cramped soundstage, and better timbre. It was not an ideal setting and I only listened to it for 10 minutes with Zeus XRs and andromedas. I'll have to listen again in a better environment.

Something about the house sound still feels a bit strange to me. I don't want to hear Jazz repeat the same thing he repeats a million times in every chord forum so that's not what I'm looking to hear. I know the Chord viewpoints and explanations already.

I hear the WTA filter in action and it creates this weird strobe like feeling....like very small micro grains in the sound(Can feel it as Rob Watts himself says we are very sensitive to timing). This makes the sound thinner(or I guess "live" for some people) ultra clean. The lower resonances sound a tad strange. I can describe it like stuff cotton in your bass ports of your speakers to try to create a neutral sound. At the same time the sound is fluffy, smooth. The sound is very detailed but neither viseral, nor sharp, and tries to exude effortlessness. Imaging is good, but again I can't really tell if its trying to be 2d or 3d because the timbre of the sound tries to sound flat(I guess people can call it neutral or reference, but it doesn't sound like that in real life). its really strange(something I got from chord mojo having an X shaped soundstage instead of an O). It just sounded inoffensive, ambivalent, passive aggressive, slightly diffuse.

TBH I couldn't hear the 1k worth of performance increase over my wm1a.

Still probably one of the better dacs I heard there, but I can say that all the hype on most audio gear is overblown here at head-fi. I took my time to listen to all the products at canjam, and compared them to the impressions in the thread. Its far overblown and the differences are much smaller. 

I did not get to hear the dave, because it was being used, but I did try the Hugo TT. Really wasn't impressed at all. I can't believe people payed 5k for that, when it came out. its nowhere close to the performance of a yggy/ragnorak stack with the utopias. I wish people did a blind test to see which dac they prefer, because I think after hearing things like 10 pulse arrays and 50k taps, and all the stuff said here, one can imagine the difference. If someone asked me to listen to the Hugo TT blindly, and asked me how much do you think that setup is worth......I'm sorry to say, but I wouldn't guess its 4-5k. Same goes with the Hugo 2. If I heard it blind, I couldn't say at this point its worth 2.2k. (same goes with WM1Z....overpriced walkman....that's def not 3k sound and blame AK for that).

Looking forward to other impressions.....who are more on a neutral note with chord gear.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #2,757 of 22,475
There's been a lot of talk of a 3Qute based on the Hugo2 FPGA.
I very much doubt that this will be it's name - more likely to be 2Qute/2 (TooQuteByHalf)

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #2,758 of 22,475

After 98 pages, not many impressions of the Hugo 2. I'm still in the fence on getting this dac. I love the form factor and portability of unit, but I do wonder if it can compete with the Schiit Yggy at around 2.2k. 2.2k is a steep price and yes it comes with a lot of bells and whistles, but sq matters at the end of the day. I have my Sony WM1A for portability, so looking for a desktop unit.

Is there a good ab comparison with the Yggdrasil?

TBH, I heard it at Canjam NYC, and I wasn't floored by the performance. I owned a mojo for almost a year, so I was expecting a revelation for the price difference. Yes there is better treble performance, no cramped soundstage, and better timbre. It was not an ideal setting and I only listened to it for 10 minutes with Zeus XRs and andromedas. I'll have to listen again in a better environment.

Something about the house sound still feels a bit strange to me. I don't want to hear Jazz repeat the same thing he repeats a million times in every chord forum so that's not what I'm looking to hear. I know the Chord viewpoints and explanations already.

I hear the WTA filter in action and it creates this weird strobe like feeling....like very small micro grains in the sound(Can feel it as Rob Watts himself says we are very sensitive to timing). This makes the sound thinner(or I guess "live" for some people) ultra clean. The lower resonances sound a tad strange. I can describe it like stuff cotton in your bass ports of your speakers to try to create a neutral sound. At the same time the sound is fluffy, smooth. The sound is very detailed but neither viseral, nor sharp, and tries to exude effortlessness. Imaging is good, but again I can't really tell if its trying to be 2d or 3d because the timbre of the sound tries to sound flat(I guess people can call it neutral or reference, but it doesn't sound like that in real life). its really strange(something I got from chord mojo having an X shaped soundstage instead of an O). It just sounded inoffensive, ambivalent, passive aggressive, slightly diffuse.

TBH I couldn't hear the 1k worth of performance increase over my wm1a.

Still probably one of the better dacs I heard there, but I can say that all the hype on most audio gear is overblown here at head-fi. I took my time to listen to all the products at canjam, and compared them to the impressions in the thread. Its far overblown and the differences are much smaller. 

I did not get to hear the dave, because it was being used, but I did try the Hugo TT. Really wasn't impressed at all. I can't believe people payed 5k for that, when it came out. its nowhere close to the performance of a yggy/ragnorak stack with the utopias. I wish people did a blind test to see which dac they prefer, because I think after hearing things like 10 pulse arrays and 50k taps, and all the stuff said here, one can imagine the difference. If someone asked me to listen to the Hugo TT blindly, and asked me how much do you think that setup is worth......I'm sorry to say, but I wouldn't guess its 4-5k. Same goes with the Hugo 2. If I heard it blind, I couldn't say at this point its worth 2.2k. (same goes with WM1Z....overpriced walkman....that's def not 3k sound and blame AK for that).

Looking forward to other impressions.....who are more on a neutral note with chord gear.

I'll be surprised if you find much of that, here.  Most of us come from an appreciation of Chord products and like what we've heard, so far.
Perhaps, look in the science forum.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #2,760 of 22,475
@Dithyrambes
My appreciation of Chord DAC product comes from the obvious advancement they have in both applying digital sampling theory to analog conversion and the understanding of all the details required in the implementation. Like, seriously, just look at how clean and simple the Hugo2 or Dave innards are. Compared to the toroids, shielding, hundreds of components, big capacitors and multi daughter boards on other DACs. It's clear there is so much expertise embedded in the FPGA and circuit design that the others just don't have.

And then there is RobWatts continued presence here and open willingness to tell all and answer as much as he can. He's quite blunt about the technical downsides of other DAC approaches and open about what more he has to learn and how far he can still go to full transparency. I've learned so much from him. Where are the other mfr designers chiming in to do likewise??
Expensive yes...But IMHO the best sounding DACs from the best digital audio designer.

Oh, and when it comes time to trade in your ChordDAC-2017 on a ChordDAC-2020 you will have 100x the buyers over the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back