Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 10, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #2,731 of 22,475
Yggdrasil..back to the drawing board you must go..much to learn you have *yoda voice*

Oh yeah, before I forget, I gotta thank Jude for letting me borrow his Hugo 2 to do the WA8 shootout. Such a cool dude!

That's what I like about Rob's posts vs Baldr's.  To be honest, Rob sounds like a man who can still learn new levels of his craft and can still be surprised by unexpected results from experimentation.  I think I'll stop there, as I have a different impression of the designer of the other DAC mentioned you did.  Glad to hear that Chord holds its preverbial head up with the competition.

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #2,732 of 22,475
Are you sure that's a case? Just looks like a bare black Hugo 2 chassis to me. Perhaps I should say has anyone seen the Hugo 2 "Carry Case".

Sorry I was confused.
I thought that you were referring to the metal case, and didn't realise that you meant the carry case.
I have seen no reports of carry cases, but I expect they will soon appear.

It didn't take long for firms to start to advertise mojo cases, so I expect the same will happen with Hugo 2.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #2,733 of 22,475
Curious that since the Hugo2 case was already redesigned why couldn't they fit the Poly innards already inside so there could be a single form factor case with full functionality of Hugo2/2GO?

You are making the big assumption that the Poly and 2go would have identical functionality.
Also there were enough people complaining when the Hugo2 battery life was first announced as 7 hours - imagine the outcry if running the 2go off the same battery, reduced the battery life to 4 hours.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #2,734 of 22,475
However, it was definitely enough to discern any major differences between Hugo 2 and Dave, which weren't many.

Also, yesterday I did another shootout Hugo 2 vs WA8 with my Campfire Vega IEMs in the much quieter Woo Audio room and still couldn't hear much difference in the filter settings of Hugo 2..they're very subtle.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I was able to audition the H2 in the quiet room at last Sunday's UK headfi meet. The filter differences are indeed subtle but discernable. With my HD800s i found that they benefitted from the 'warmth ***' of the mojo filter. Not to say they weren't great with the other filters too, it's just I can imagine extended listening with that filter.

*** i love my Mojo but it is 'warmer' sounding compared to Hugo1 for example

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #2,735 of 22,475
While I'd rather there be two single piece versions of the Hugo 2, one with 2Go built in and one without it, part of me likes that the 2Go is separate in a way. It breaks up the purchases. Like Voltron, you can join up two purchases to create something special later. I want a Roon enabled Hugo 2 - I'll take it anyway I can get it.

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #2,737 of 22,475
is it possible to ask how the hugo2 compares to chord hugo TT, or is that to early to ask now, especially when i hear people say that hugo2 is as close to dave as can be, so where then does the chord TT stand among the three

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #2,738 of 22,475

Yeah the HE-1 system as a whole sounded better. No way they'd let me plug a Hugo 2 into that thing lol it practically had an armed guard. Which is funny because the Woo Audio WA33/Abyss Phi system sounded better and Focal had a $125k gold and diamond clad pair of Utopias in the main room just hanging out for people to walk by and listen to. But anyway, those were the only 2 whole systems I should say(that to me and my preference for balanced, smooth, 3D, natural, pinpoint detailed, and musical sound) beat the Hugo 2 in overall sound quality across the board. That's saying a lot for a portable dac/amp combo at its price point.

A lot of equipment at CanJam sounded incredible. I don't mean to shortchange any manufacturer's efforts. Stuff like Violectric V281 and Wells Audio Headtrip Reference amps hooked up to very good dacs were amazing. But the things I mentioned before were in the "special" category for me. Products that made me laugh cuz they were so good. Things I did not want to stop listening to..the hear it for 10 seconds and you're addicted type stuff. So yeah, other than things you'd have to take out a mortgage for, Hugo 2 nails it.

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #2,739 of 22,475
Yeah the HE-1 system as a whole sounded better. No way they'd let me plug a Hugo 2 into that thing lol it practically had an armed guard. Which is funny because the Woo Audio WA33/Abyss Phi system sounded better and Focal had a $125k gold and diamond clad pair of Utopias in the main room just hanging out for people to walk by and listen to. But anyway, those were the only 2 whole systems I should say(that to me and my preference for balanced, smooth, 3D, natural, pinpoint detailed, and musical sound) beat the Hugo 2 in overall sound quality across the board. That's saying a lot for a portable dac/amp combo at its price point.

Fair enough; although one could get a Hugo 2 and also get a tube amp just to have a different kind of sound. I envision many people doing that. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #2,740 of 22,475
Fair enough; although one could get a Hugo 2 and also get a tube amp just to have a different kind of sound. I envision many people doing that. 

Yup, that's exactly what I'll be using it for most of the time with my fully NOS tube upgraded WA22. Unless I travel, then I'll bring it along for the Vega IEMs.

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #2,741 of 22,475
I can't make up my mind about getting a new USB A to USB Micro or go with my old Supra cable with an adapter. The cable I was thinking of buying to the Hugo 2 is a Nordost Purple Flare USB:
http://www.nordost.com/leif/purple-flare/purple-flare-usb2.0-cable.php

I have been running the Mojo with a cheap USB micro cable for a while because I simply can't make up my mind. There are very few USB A to USB Micro choices for the moment.

I bought a Supra that fits Original Hugo, that i assume should fit, and has good reviews but have not compared with others

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #2,743 of 22,475
I totally agree mate your spot on.Apple are the dinosaurs here,they use Samsung's chips to make their phones work it's a joke,they ain't the innovatives they once were, apple will never be the same now Steve Jobs has died

Apple designs their own chips and they are best in class I can assure you. Plus they're actually manufactured by TSMC at 16nm, not by Samsung. You have no idea what you are talking about with regards to chip design, so please stop spreading ignorance within the tech community.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #2,744 of 22,475
Apple designs their own chips and they are best in class I can assure you. Plus they're actually manufactured by TSMC at 16nm, not by Samsung. You have no idea what you are talking about with regards to chip design, so please stop spreading ignorance within the tech community.

At the moment it is your word against his.
Please provide us with some evidence as to why we should believe you.

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #2,745 of 22,475
My secret is to knead some grated parmesan cheese into the ground meat. Then some blue cheese on top of the medium-well patties.
Brioche bread works fine with that.
I'm currently in the process of preparing two very generous helpings for myself.

Edit: Added the word "grated"
Have you lot ever considered entering Masterchef?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back