Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 31, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #2,432 of 22,516
Quick question to anyone that might know.

I will be importing my Hugo 2 from the US as the prices over here in Australia are just rediculas, anyway does the Hugo 2 have the same voltage no matter where you buy it from?

Over here we are on 230v and I know US uses a differnet voltage, I'm just thinking as I will have to buy an after market usb charger power cord that will work here in Australia to keep it fully charged as it will be my main desktop dac/amp.

Does anyone have any idea as to what charger it uses? i know Rob confirmed you can use after market chargers as long as their of high quality, he said it was usb one I think, is just like a detachable one like you would find on the apple iphone chargers? So I would just need to buy the main power adapter itself for over here or is it hardwired?

Anyone know the answer to this I can't find any info on it.

Thanks in advance!

USB chargers all seem to be rated to work from 100v to 250v. The only requirement would therefore be a plug convertor to fit your mains socket outlet.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #2,433 of 22,516
USB chargers all seem to be rated to work from 100v to 250v. The only requirement would therefore be a plug convertor to fit your mains socket outlet.

Yep. Just to add to this, it should say on the charger what AC voltage it accepts. On the off chance this US one is an issue for you, then an iPad 5Vdc 2Amp charger is decently built and will work and not crazy money.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #2,434 of 22,516

Yep. Just to add to this, it should say on the charger what AC voltage it accepts. On the off chance this US one is an issue for you, then an iPad 5Vdc 2Amp charger is decently built and will work and not crazy money.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I have plenty of these lying around so no issue there.

Thanks again.

Edit: I should ad that its more goung to be the US wall socket that will not work with Australian wall sockets for the charger.

But of its just a USB charger then I have some high quality ones of those anyway that I'm currently using with my mojo, but I will just need to buy the main AU power socket that connects to the wall so I can plug the USB into that, or use an ipad one.

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #2,435 of 22,516
Thanks so much for the feedback! I have plenty of these lying around so no issue there.

Thanks again.

Edit: I should ad that its more goung to be the US wall socket that will not work with Australian wall sockets for the charger.

But of its just a USB charger then I have some high quality ones of those anyway that I'm currently using with my mojo, but I will just need to buy the main AU power socket that connects to the wall so I can plug the USB into that, or use an ipad one.

All good. Just remember the Mojo only needs 1A so iPhone chargers are ok. But 2A will be better for the Hugo 2, so needs iPad. Double check on the back of the unit that it's 2A output.

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #2,437 of 22,516
For Paul

Try Romeo Santos on tidal. if you like that go for the world renowned Aventura. The band he was in before.

'Bachata is a genre of Latin American music that originated in the Dominican Republic in the first half of the 20th century with European, Indigenous and African musical elements.'

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #2,438 of 22,516
  Well, 1 Watt from Hugo 2 into 85dB/W efficient speakers that lust for 300W, like my ATC SCM20SL. Can that possibly sound ok? Maybe that is ok with Singer/Songwriter material, but how about Piano, or Bruckner or Mahler Symphonies? I am tempted to try, but that means hassle with cables/adapters. 
Would you be able to offer more experiences to motivate me?

I have 99 db/W Klipsch Heritage III speakers and plan to buy the Hugo 2. Perhaps it would be worth the hassle with cables to try it out.

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #2,439 of 22,516

I have 99 db/W Klipsch Heritage III speakers and plan to buy the Hugo 2. Perhaps it would be worth the hassle with cables to try it out.

If you already have a suitable quality amplifier to drive your speakers then my experiments with a Dave driving 95dB speakers direct suggest that you may well be better off sticking with the amplifier in circuit.

But, hey, its only a bit of soldering to rig up an RCA to banana convertor to have a go (assuming you have some RCA sockets and banana sockets rolling around in your spares drawer).

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #2,440 of 22,516

If you already have a suitable quality amplifier to drive your speakers then my experiments with a Dave driving 95dB speakers direct suggest that you may well be better off sticking with the amplifier in circuit.

But, hey, its only a bit of soldering to rig up an RCA to banana convertor to have a go (assuming you have some RCA sockets and banana sockets rolling around in your spares drawer).

Hmmm... I might try it when the Hugo 2 arrives. I might be fun.

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #2,441 of 22,516

Hmmm... I might try it when the Hugo 2 arrives. I might be fun.

This is what I quickly rigged up.

My experiments are in this post

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/8070#post_13382892

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #2,442 of 22,516

This is what I quickly rigged up.

My experiments are in this post

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-electronics-dave/8070#post_13382892

Consider me intrigued! My present amp is a IFI Retro 50, quite powerful to be a tube amp. But I am kind of a minimalist - well a sort of, I guess none in this forum is a "real" minimalist :) Thanks for the pic. I will absolutely try it out.

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #2,443 of 22,516
Mar 31, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #2,444 of 22,516
For Paul.Was that message for me mate?

Try Romeo Santos on tidal. if you like that go for the world renowned Aventura. The band he was in before.was that message for me mate

[COLOR=222222]'Bachata[/COLOR][COLOR=222222] is a genre of Latin American [/COLOR]music
[COLOR=222222] that originated in the Dominican Republic in the first half of the 20th century with European, Indigenous and African musical elements.'[/COLOR]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back