Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 10, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #226 of 22,475
  I think the tuning really more refers to an arrangement of objective filters and blocks within the operation block diagram of the FPGA and their arrangement, speed(hz, datarate), bandwidth, bits etc etc. There was a question earlier sitting on this thread this morning, and as I thought to formulate this answer I got to doing the days work, but it seems this keeps coming up so even tho I am relatively new and have not read all the threads I think I can put it into words(although Im sure somewhat inaccurately).  Sure it may be possible to design the circuit in the FPGA using pure digital logic analysis and design but lets say you did that(the rules or practices to do this likely havent even been developed), still how would you know that those rules and choices were the correct ones?  Is it cheating to go ahead and listen and thus take it away from the tenants of a reference design? or was that going to happen anyway and thus you might as well cheat trial and error style(also likely cause the logic design practice rules likely havent been developed) does this then make your design subjective?  I dont think so because we arent talking about EQ tuning or putting this circuit in to add more bass its more just the arrangement of objective digital filters(likely designed with transparency in mind) and data paths and tweaking their "arrangement and specs" can change the sound somewhat but not so much its spectra..... more like its timing.  So I would say this trial and error listening could be considered objective as it is the final test that the arrangement of objective blocks is correct.

I doubt it sounds like his sony he is just coming up with a reason not to upgrade(or realize his expensive dap is obsolete).
These are the 4 tunings.... kinda wish one was old hugo instead of roll off which I havent found the high frequency to be a problem.... but if I had Ultrasones......

Hugo (Ultimate Reference) (White)

Hugo HF+ (High Frequency roll off) (Green)

Mojo (‘Smooth’) (Orange)

Mojo HF+ (High Frequency roll off) (Red)

I was at CES also, The Hugo2 sound a step forward from Hugo + all the add on.
In addition, Hugo (Ultimate Reference) (White) Filter i like the most. Which they said it is Hugo+DAVE Filter.
Just FYI

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #227 of 22,475
  Yes, this discussion about the output stage has been going on for some time on Head-Fi.  At the risk of seeming trite, why not switch to the 2Qute model which doesn't even have a headphone jack (only RCA line jacks) much less an output stage?  

Actually, this is what I have been thinking about for awhile already but of course now with Hugo2 coming on-stream, all other models are suddenly of a prior generation and as such not worthy of consideration --- unless deeply discounted (ha, ha, ha).  Well, we'll just have to wait (for 3Qute? Qute-squared? Cuter-than-thou?) won't we?

A deeply discounted 2Qute when the 2Qute2 comes out would be aweeeesssooooooome!

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #229 of 22,475
My mind is spinning with indecision and awe. I was pretty much prepared to buy a Mojo and now I'm reading so much about the Hugo2 and I'm frozen- thinking I should wait to see the inevitable "Mojo vs. Hugo2" reviews to see if it's the right fit for me. I've tried out the Mojo twice at my local hi-fi shop. With a tube amp, it sounded brilliant. Using it my cans directly plugged in (Senn HD800) it sounded brilliant. I don't need mobile, I don't need streaming, I just want to see if I can improve upon my current DAC (Apogee Duet) and to know which one: Hugo2 or Mojo!! I suppose I'll just have to wait, like all of us, to hear one for myself. My biggest question is- what will Hugo2 do for me that Mojo will not?

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #230 of 22,475
I'm quite excited that (in the UK) the Hugo 2 is anticipated to be about the cost of a Hugo and Mojo combined, and can act like either - or its own persona...

Definitely interested, although will have to sell more body parts...

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #231 of 22,475

Which tuning were you listening to did you even check?  I dont see how an off the shelf dac can ever approach the detail of the warmest tuning aka the Mojo tuning(makes me question your hearing and discernment)(I am glad tho they went in a lush route and less sterile and less fast decay).  Daps were done before AK and Sony, but the way people like to blow money and bling I doubt it will ever happen on this forum(1000 dollars for a cnc milled bar of copper with gold plate and a badscreen and slow laggy interface oh wait thats the new 3000 dollar one).  Really the nexus(the word not the google phone) is the phone and its modular utility will outpace everything and dacs will outpace all daps and android and ios will outpace all dap interfaces.  You dont need a tablet, you dont need a dap, essentially they are a waste of money from any realistic perspective.  The Mojo blows the AK380 and every other dap out of the water on distortion figures.  You guys used to be able to apply this kind of logic to computer hardware but see what audio bling makes you do.....?

Honestly I feel bad for what is happening to sony but their recent prices are a little too high I remember I wanted the sony walkman z(I still have my walkman x) so bad but then they discontinued it before they even gave it a chance cause they were psyched out by ipod but it looks like its happening again.  Id rather have an s6 or s7 and a Mojo than those daps ak or sony.  Just wait till foobar really gets going on phones.

I am loving my S7 Edge running UAPP (best music app on android by far) + Mojo, stunning sound quality for mobile listening.  THe only issue with the android platform (specifically the S7 & S7E to my knowledge) is the native upsampling. UAPP disables the native upsampling on android within the app itself but all other apps like bandcamp will be outputting an upsampled signal.  This is the one advantage my old iphone5 had over my S7E but I'll take S7E anyday due to the freedom and SD card.

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #232 of 22,475

I am loving my S7 Edge running UAPP (best music app on android by far) + Mojo, stunning sound quality for mobile listening.  THe only issue with the android platform (specifically the S7 & S7E to my knowledge) is the native upsampling. UAPP disables the native upsampling on android within the app itself but all other apps like bandcamp will be outputting an upsampled signal.  This is the one advantage my old iphone5 had over my S7E but I'll take S7E anyday due to the freedom and SD card.

You can fix this by rooting and putting a different version of Android on your phone.  Check out XDA-Developers.com for more info.

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #233 of 22,475
What the Hugo2 will do you for you that the Mojo will not?  Well, that's pretty clear -- the Hugo2 will take a huuuge (pun intended) piece out of your checking account!  

Whether it is worth the asking price of somewhere around $2000+ vs. $459 (at last check) for the Mojo is clearly a question of personal priorities and must be left to each individual to answer for himself.  Seems to me that the Mojo is a pretty unique product in its segment and something of a giant-killer, whereas the Hugo2 faces a lot of pretty fierce competition at it's price point, especially if portability is not a requirement

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #234 of 22,475

You can fix this by rooting and putting a different version of Android on your phone.  Check out XDA-Developers.com for more info.

I'm well aware of XDA, actually a member.  At this point in time I am not comfortable rooting my phone, if you look at the forums related to XDA rooting and S7/S7E it's a constant stream of people reporting their S7/S7E is; stuck in a boot cycle, bricked after rooting or some other issue after rooting.  Not interested in rooting at this point.  I lobbied bandcamp for months to make an option to allow for a bitperfect signal to DAC but heard nothing back.  Hopefully they'll fix this in nougat.

Jan 10, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #236 of 22,475
Does anyone know if the HUgo 2 will automatically recognize a source and remember settings like the Mojo?...I love the original Hugo to this day but find it cumbersome to use whereas the Mojo is a breeze

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #237 of 22,475
Just to drop in:  If I'm spending Hugo2 money for the product, I hope the only things they add from Mojo are remembering of last setting(s) features.  The Mojo didn't really do it for me.  Just an oppinion, not trying to pick a fight.  
As for the 7-hr battery life; doesn't bother me as it stays home with the computer.  If they get longer life, great, but won't stop me from buying.  Anyone want to buy a used wife and kids?  Just kiddin'.

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #239 of 22,475
  Does anyone know if the HUgo 2 will automatically recognize a source and remember settings like the Mojo?...I love the original Hugo to this day but find it cumbersome to use whereas the Mojo is a breeze

I think the Hugo 2 represents Chord's attempt to correct for all the issues that came up with the Hugo. I agree it is almost certain the 2 will remember source—as well as filter and crossfeed settings.

I had problems with my RCA and USB jacks getting loose (likely due to the Hugo serving double duty as my speaker system DAC and my portable audio DAC, so plugging and unplugging cables all the time, I'm sure, didn't help). The new connections look much sturdier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back