Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 24, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #2,176 of 22,481
Sigh. That's exactly what I feared. I acknowledge it's a fine line between too subtle and overblown, but not sure why we should be thankful for "barely noticeable" differences.

The differences will no doubt be more noticable in ideal listening conditions, but I am hoping that the jumps won't be too great. The relatively few times I have felt I might like a different tonal flavour with what I am listening to, the wish has been for only a slight change.

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #2,178 of 22,481
Sigh. That's exactly what I feared. I acknowledge it's a fine line between too subtle and overblown, but not sure why we should be thankful for "barely noticeable" differences.

I've been wondering for a while, all die-hard audiophiles must be perfectionists in other ways of life as well.
smily_headphones1.gif
 Not a need but a must for them. Steve Jobs being an obvious example. In real life, a perfectionist boss mostly brings you tough life. 
redface.gif

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #2,180 of 22,481
Chord reps told me that Hugo2 (and Poly) would be available from an unspecified date in April, and that the Poly-equivalent for Hugo2 would appear later this year (with one or two unspecified extra features over the Mojo-Poly).

That should provide plenty of opportunity for wishlists. To start the ball rolling:

1. SSD storage
  2. hardware headphone equalizer
  3. ???

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #2,182 of 22,481

Lol...seriously?

No. My point is that a high fidelity audio device should as it's primary purpose reproduce sound with as much fidelity to the source as possible. Having filters that introduce large noticeable differences is hardly high fidelity, is it? If you really want to muck around with the sound, then why not go all the way and do it with a honking great equalizer?

I suspect Chord may be having second thoughts about how these filters were defined. giving a taste of Mojo and having a HF filter is fine, but they should have had another option called simply called straight/unfiltered or something like that. Calling the other filter Hugo is bound to cause all manner of misunderstanding.

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #2,183 of 22,481

No. My point is that a high fidelity audio device should as it's primary purpose reproduce sound with as much fidelity to the source as possible. Having filters that introduce large noticeable differences is hardly high fidelity, is it? If you really want to muck around with the sound, then why not go all the way and do it with a honking great equalizer?

I suspect Chord may be having second thoughts about how these filters were defined. giving a taste of Mojo and having a HF filter is fine, but they should have had another option called simply called straight/unfiltered or something like that. Calling the other filter Hugo is bound to cause all manner of misunderstanding.

I see your point. I think it's interesting how the Hugo 2 is already being judged even before it gets out to the masses. BTW I preordered one to replace my Mojo (I never heard the Hugo 1) so I'm taking a chance. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #2,185 of 22,481
I had a glorious 20+ minutes with a Hugo2 at the Montreal Audio Show today. On a pair of headphones I was not even sure of what make. I just listened to the music. Yes, very nice. I wish they were setup on loudspeakers. This is not a review...But I could tell there was a more nuanced presentation and always something new I heard in familiar songs. Not, like, a spectacular difference from my 2Qute but the portability and upgrade is a big plus of course. So I left happy in my decision to pre-order a Hugo2...then i spent 45minutes in the adjoining room with a BLU2+Dave+ChordAmp on spendor speakers. CD playback. I think the spendors were a bit bright but everything was very fluid. And the tracks from Holly Cole Temptation were like something fresh and new. Perhaps the BLU2+Dave was not the huge, spectacular difference I was expecting...But maybe I was over-hyped. So, im still happy to be getting a Hugo2...And hope some of the Mscaler goodness makes its way down market soon...

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #2,186 of 22,481
Got two of these in my chain already. It's just not enough.

You need to get a cable made out of dark matter if you want to go further. That cable has no interaction with electromagnetic fields giving you the best and smoothness sound possible.

Then I recommended to use dark energy as a power source which gives infinite expansion of the soundstage.

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #2,187 of 22,481
STR-1, You only used Diana Krall style music? In my experience with SLOW music is that its quite easy to get that to sound good. My slow well engineered music will usually sound good on even mid tier gear.

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #2,188 of 22,481
STR-1, You only used Diana Krall style music? In my experience with SLOW music is that its quite easy to get that to sound good. My slow well engineered music will usually sound good on even mid tier gear.

This!!! 

Slow music tends to need very little gear to sound good. There is a limit to how good it can sound imposed by the simplicity of the instrument arrangement - the music is made to sound good with ease. 

In the meanwhile, this will be hard to play even for expensive gear. Really complex arrangements that have lots of layers and hidden effects - this is why I actually want to see faster equipment. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #2,189 of 22,481
Dobrescu George , exactly I have various slow sounding music that always spunds great no matter which gear I run it through. Obvious on some it will sound better but never will it really sound bad. But with say Metal or other faster pace music it becomes very challenging.This is a track where many gears will fail. https://youtu.be/9r2oVmRj4l4

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #2,190 of 22,481

Then could it just simply be an issue of misnomers being used to market the Hugo 2? The way I see it, you could simply rename the "Hugo" filter to the "reference" filter, and all will be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Mr X
Back