Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 18, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #21,736 of 22,529
I
Now that’s interesting as well… you mean that you upscaled and saved your files? If so, how did you upscaled and saved them?
I did it on the PC. I can't remember the name of the program, I'll have a look when I get in this evening and let you know.

Jan 18, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #21,737 of 22,529
I did it on the PC. I can't remember the name of the program, I'll have a look when I get in this evening and let you know.

Given the work @Rob Watts has put into the internal upscaling to 768K, I'd be a bit skeptical that a PC program would be an improvement.

Jan 18, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #21,738 of 22,529
Given the work @Rob Watts has put into the internal upscaling to 768K, I'd be a bit skeptical that a PC program would be an improvement.
Have you tried it? As long as it is upscaling and not upsampling there is a chance of improvement.

Jan 18, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #21,739 of 22,529
I did experiment with HQ player for a while, even upscaled some tracks, saved them and did an A/B listening test.
Different filters and modes on HQ player, range from destructive to mild improvements to sound quality.
The Hugo2 somehow sounds just right if left to its own devices. What changes is sound stage, in a nutshell .

Jan 18, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #21,740 of 22,529
Now that’s interesting as well… you mean that you upscaled and saved your files? If so, how did you upscaled and saved them?
Actually, looking at it, I've been resampling 44.1/16 to 352.8/24 in Audacity. I really don't know the difference between up-sampling, resampling and upscaling. I do know there are sonic differences with the resampled .wav files sounding perhaps very subtly more revealing of the acoustical space around analogue non electronic instruments. I need to find time to do more testing, but I generally end up just enjoying the music and having a listening session. At 2.6GB for a 5 minute track, it is not something I will be doing seriously and I'm not sure it is worth pursuing when the Hugo2/2go sounds so right anyway.

Jan 18, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #21,741 of 22,529
Actually, looking at it, I've been resampling 44.1/16 to 352.8/24 in Audacity. I really don't know the difference between up-sampling, resampling and upscaling. I do know there are sonic differences with the resampled .wav files sounding perhaps very subtly more revealing of the acoustical space around analogue non electronic instruments. I need to find time to do more testing, but I generally end up just enjoying the music and having a listening session. At 2.6GB for a 5 minute track, it is not something I will be doing seriously and I'm not sure it is worth pursuing when the Hugo2/2go sounds so right anyway.
-Upsampling means changing the sample rate up.
- Resampling could mean the above but up or down!
- upscaling could mean changing bitdepth to a higher value, sich as 16bit to 24.
All of the above, can be done dumb.
If you add eight zeros to 16bits, it becomes 24bit, but dynamic range won't change.
44.1kHz can be upsampled to 88.2, by repeating same data twice .
Under these conditions, the data just looks like 88.2/24 , in reality it hasn't changed.
But upsampling can be done, not dumb!
Chord dacs, buffer the data, then they look at the data, not just the current data, but looking at previous samples and future samples (hence the need for buffering ).
By doing a complex calculations, the DSP actually spits out new data samples to add in between existing samples.
If the maths is correct, the signal becomes true 88.2kHz if one extra sample was calculated, or 705.6kHz if 15 samples were calculated .
It is midnight in London, so i use that excuse to say, the above may have some errors, but in a nutshell , that's the gist of it.

Jan 19, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #21,742 of 22,529
I used PGGB to upsample. Files are large so I got a 1TB microSD card. Sounded pretty great on Poly/Mojo. I'd expect it'd be even better on 2Go/H2.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 3:31 AM Post #21,743 of 22,529
-Upsampling means changing the sample rate up.
- Resampling could mean the above but up or down!
- upscaling could mean changing bitdepth to a higher value, sich as 16bit to 24.
All of the above, can be done dumb.
If you add eight zeros to 16bits, it becomes 24bit, but dynamic range won't change.
44.1kHz can be upsampled to 88.2, by repeating same data twice .
Under these conditions, the data just looks like 88.2/24 , in reality it hasn't changed.
But upsampling can be done, not dumb!
Chord dacs, buffer the data, then they look at the data, not just the current data, but looking at previous samples and future samples (hence the need for buffering ).
By doing a complex calculations, the DSP actually spits out new data samples to add in between existing samples.
If the maths is correct, the signal becomes true 88.2kHz if one extra sample was calculated, or 705.6kHz if 15 samples were calculated .
It is midnight in London, so i use that excuse to say, the above may have some errors, but in a nutshell , that's the gist of it.
Thank you for the explanation, I should have been more specific in my phrasing, I understand the technicalities of the processes, it's the vague / flexible interchangeability of the use of the wording I struggle with😂.

I can see a number of ways that "dumb" processing could make differences to the sound, particularly in the way that these treatments present the signal to the DAC and it's subsequent effect on the DAC output. I think that the more "right" the DAC is, the less difference will be audible. It's something I'll do more experiments with, but my time is precious and I'd rather spend it enjoying music!

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #21,744 of 22,529
Thank you for the explanation, I should have been more specific in my phrasing, I understand the technicalities of the processes, it's the vague / flexible interchangeability of the use of the wording I struggle with😂.

I can see a number of ways that "dumb" processing could make differences to the sound, particularly in the way that these treatments present the signal to the DAC and it's subsequent effect on the DAC output. I think that the more "right" the DAC is, the less difference will be audible. It's something I'll do more experiments with, but my time is precious and I'd rather spend it enjoying music!
OK if not you, perhaps someone else may have had that question.
Regarding dumb upsampling, the only benefit, I can think of, is shifting the brickwall filter higher in frequency. So If a certain DAC has issues with its filter and it affects its in-band operation, then yes, a dumb upsampling can help the DAC.
Otherwise, the resolution and dynamic range remain unaffected, it remains basically the same signal.
Also, if say, your optical output device can not manage a certain sampling rate (88.2 in my case), then a simple resample to 96 can help with compatibility.

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #21,747 of 22,529
Hi, I've just replaced the batteries in my Hugo 2 but it's not charging. It turns on for about 10 seconds, then goes off and indicates a purple light on the power button for another 5 seconds and then goes completely off. Does not respond at all when not plugged in. Is there a way to reset the unit?

Jan 22, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #21,748 of 22,529
Hi, I've just replaced the batteries in my Hugo 2 but it's not charging. It turns on for about 10 seconds, then goes off and indicates a purple light on the power button for another 5 seconds and then goes completely off. Does not respond at all when not plugged in. Is there a way to reset the unit?
There is no way to reset the unit AFAIK. Does it work with the old batteries? It sounds to me like you may have a charging fault but make sure to try another USB charger and cable too.

Jan 22, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #21,750 of 22,529
So I've tried another charger and cable but no luck. I can put the old batteries back in and see. Cheers
Curious to see how the replacement works out. I'm considering a used unit but want to know how easily replaceable the batteries are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back