Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 8, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #20,506 of 22,475
Just an update on the new batteries, everything is working well and I got at least 7 hours of playback on Friday using my DT1990 pro headphone I didn't even get a red light. This is great and I really didn't realise how poor the old batteries had got at only 4-5 hours usage before the red light appeared.

I've been testing one of the old cells and this is what I found:
1st discharge 787mah to 3.4V - It probably wasn't fully charged
1st charge 1263mah to 4.1V
2nd discharge 1025mah to 3.4V

So yes quite poor and nowhere near the rated 3350mah capacity, it was also noted that the voltage dropped off very quickly when discharged, possibly a sign of high IR. If this cell had been in a laptop pack it would have been discarded a while ago I suspect.

The loss in capacity had been very gradual, so its not really noticeable. I would recommend this fix for anyone getting < 4-5h use per charge and knows one end of a screwdriver from the other.

I didn't test the new cells before I installed them, I wish I had now but its not really worth opening it up again just to test the new batteries.

I'm not sure if Chord would replace the batteries for free if still in warranty, but I did contact Chord and was told that 5h use is within acceptable limits and they would not be replaced. My Hugo2 is probably out of battery warranty anyway as I purchased it in 2017.

Happy listening everyone.

Can I ask please, did you run your Hugo 2 in a case? I found doing that, the Hugo 2 got very hot which is bad for lithium batteries. I did lose some battery life doing the time I ran Hugo 2 in a case. Not too much to make me worried or upset. Still can't be sure it was that which caused it, but you know.

Also please the new batteries you got, do they have sticky pads with them to secure then inside the Hugo 2? Need to know just in case I ever need to get battieries, thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #20,507 of 22,475
Can I ask please, did you run your Hugo 2 in a case? I found doing that, the Hugo 2 got very hot which is bad for lithium batteries. I did lose some battery life doing the time I ran Hugo 2 in a case. Not too much to make me worried or upset. Still can't be sure it was that which caused it, but you know.

Also please the new batteries you got, do they have sticky pads with them to secure then inside the Hugo 2? Need to know just in case I ever need to get battieries, thank you.
Yes my Hugo 2 has always been in a case but I always charge it overnight when its switched off, I find it doesn't get that hot using it this way. This is also the reason why getting a whole day's runtime was important for me.

The new batteries don't come with the sticky foam and the old foam isn't reusable, I used some of this stuff that I already had:

1636363940500.png

Nov 8, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #20,508 of 22,475
Yes my Hugo 2 has always been in a case but I always charge it overnight when its switched off, I find it doesn't get that hot using it this way. This is also the reason why getting a whole day's runtime was important for me.

The new batteries don't come with the sticky foam and the old foam isn't reusable, I used some of this stuff that I already had:

Excellent thank you.

I only used my Hugo 2 via battery when in its case. It was battery operated playback that made it get hot. I used the case through winter and into the start of summer. Since summer had become warm I decided to check the temps of the Hugo 2 and pulled it from the case after some playing music. I was surprised how hot it had become. I had lost some battery life so that was part of my decision to check temps too.

It feels quite sad because the Hugo 2 rocks in its case. Like the Mojo in its case too, the Hugo 2 feels way more robust. Like I can handle it with less worry, and it actually made listening to music more relaxing.

Thinking about it right now, since winter is starting, I might try Hugo 2 in its case once more. (I am more of a warm jumper than lots of central heating use, type person. Meaning the ambient temperature won't be too critical in this temperature test.)

Thanks again for your heads up on the batteries. You have been kind. Appreciated.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #20,509 of 22,475

It mostly gets hot when charging. So I would avoid using it if it is low battery and needs to be charged at the same time.

It does overheat in such a scenario for me.

I charge it when I am not using it.

I wish there was a way to initiate desktop mode instantly, so I could just have it stop charging at 50%.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #20,510 of 22,475
With a good source and using Spdif, Hugo2 can drive Susvara effortlessly.

I'm doing desktop mode with an ipower x modded with silver cable and 2x dxpwr to charge and power the Hugo 2 with 5v. It took me a long time to optimize the Hugo 2 and Rob Watts has redeemed himself in my book as the humble Hugo 2 can power one of the hardest to drive HP with no compromise. Saved so much $$$$ to not buy a beefy speaker amp.
IMG_20211109_144159.jpg

Nov 9, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #20,511 of 22,475

I'm doing desktop mode with an ipower x modded with silver cable and 2x dxpwr to charge and power the Hugo 2 with 5v. It took me a long time to optimize the Hugo 2 and Rob Watts has redeemed himself in my book as the humble Hugo 2 can power one of the hardest to drive HP with no compromise. Saved so much $$$$ to not buy a beefy speaker amp.
I have the susvara and the hugo 2 and it cannot drive the susvara...well, yes it does play music but it is literally a fraction of what the susvara is capable of....I dont anyone would suggest using the hugo 2 with susvara..refresh my memory, are you the same guy who suggested the chord dave could drive the susvara because it goes to +19 lol?

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #20,512 of 22,475
Yes, coax is the best input of Hugo 2, but..
Saved so much $$$$ to not buy a beefy speaker amp.
just try stand alone amp even from $1000 aftermarket, and you will hear difference immediately

Nov 10, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #20,513 of 22,475
Yes, coax is the best input of Hugo 2, but..

just try stand alone amp even from $1000 aftermarket, and you will hear difference immediately
I am newbie here, can you tell me why coax is the best input of Hugo2? Thank you!

Nov 10, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #20,514 of 22,475
I am newbie here, can you tell me why coax is the best input of Hugo2? Thank you!
It's just a fact of listening experience, common oppinion, conventional wisdom
Also technically USB implemented not as good as coax, but I can't argue here -- it's just an info from my thech comrades)

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #20,516 of 22,475
Welcome new hugo’s friend, these will be my end-game 100%!

Attachments

• 23AC7BCF-8016-448F-AF45-B752C813BF11.jpeg
    23AC7BCF-8016-448F-AF45-B752C813BF11.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Nov 15, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #20,518 of 22,475
Looks gorgeous! I would definately buy one if it is available :L3000:
Thanks!) To be honest I had no plans to make it for sale. The cost of high grade Al and stainless steel is pretty high. Also it took me significant time to cut the parts and assemble (I am not pro) so the cost of thing is pretty "not market"

Nov 16, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #20,519 of 22,475
Can anyone tell me what’s the best way to connect the Chord Hugo 2 to an iPhone or an iPad with lightning port?I own an apple lightning to usb 3 camera adapter but I’m not sure whether that’s the best option.Will using using a micro usb to type c adapter like this (see image) and connecting a DDHifi MFi 06 lightning to type c cable (really high quality cable) to it be the best option to connect the Hugo 2 to an ios device?A micro usb to type c adapter similar to this won’t compromise the audio quality,right?

Attachments

• F2AE6544-F9AF-4EFE-A849-CB07F80355DF.png
    F2AE6544-F9AF-4EFE-A849-CB07F80355DF.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Nov 16, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #20,520 of 22,475
Can anyone tell me what’s the best way to connect the Chord Hugo 2 to an iPhone or an iPad with lightning port?I own an apple lightning to usb 3 camera adapter but I’m not sure whether that’s the best option.Will using using a micro usb to type c adapter like this (see image) and connecting a DDHifi MFi 06 lightning to type c cable (really high quality cable) to it be the best option to connect the Hugo 2 to an ios device?A micro usb to type c adapter similar to this won’t compromise the audio quality,right?
But there is a DD ddHiFi MFi05 Lightning to Micro USB cable on this planet!)

I suppose that'a exactly what you need)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back