Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 3, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #20,491 of 22,475
Being someone who appreciates the impact that the number of flashy lights has on sound quality, I feel it only right to ask the effect the leather case has on the Hugo 2 also, is it a noticeable upgrade to overall SQ?
Only if the leather is original. I tried faux leather and the result was disappointing at least

Nov 3, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #20,492 of 22,475
Being someone who appreciates the impact that the number of flashy lights has on sound quality, I feel it only right to ask the effect the leather case has on the Hugo 2 also, is it a noticeable upgrade to overall SQ?
Oh yes indeed the overall warmth to the sound increases quite a bit. The cheaper cases are much thinner and the effect is nowhere near the same.

Genuine Chord case only for me.

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #20,493 of 22,475
A new acrylic plastic frame box enables to orgenize my bedside setup

Attachments

• 20211103_212428.jpg
    20211103_212428.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #20,494 of 22,475
I also have a Hugo 2 & Stellia setup, and am always keen to venture down the upgrade path once again.

I would be interested to know how the Hugo 2 compares with and without the IFI ICan?

Nov 3, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #20,495 of 22,475
The iCan pro adds dynamics, more warmth to the otherwise very analytic sound if the H2, much oomps with the iFi xbass (I rarely use the 3D applicatin on the iCan). You can add tubes flavour with the iCan, although not felt so much with the Stellia (more impact with open back ones).
Both sound great with the Stellia, but I like the iCan contribution more.
Note that the iCan as well as with the xbass does not comprimize the sound clarity.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #20,496 of 22,475
I found SQ differences between stock SMPS, power banks, and internal batteries. Also, there are SQ differences when using power conditioner/AC noise filter with stock SMPS. Then, I asked Rob Watts about it, and he suggested to use a power bank that has a pass through to preserve SQ.

Yes, thank you for asking Rob Watts. This sometimes popped up as an issue, but when you are juggling Music Servers and cables, etc., it get pushed down and down the queue. Now that it's a real thing, I'm going to attack the issue. I believe in the philosophy that your gear is only as good as the weakest link in the chain. I try to run everything as close to bare metal as possible, so everything measures in super low milliOhms throughout the chain even the OS.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #20,498 of 22,475
@Rob Watts....hi Rob if you're out there could you have a look at this too. Thankyou.

With hugo2 for someone who doesn't want to leave it on or charging whilst away from home or asleep thus also ruling out desktop mode for this very reason as with desktop mode it charges after hugo2 is switched off and one might leave home for any reason after just listening to music. Also putting aside battery life performance would the following routine work? Assuming starting on a full charge.

1) Charge for 1 hour in the morning while getting ready to go out then switch hugo2 and charger off when leaving home.

2) Return home at 5pm and charge from 5-8pm while eating etc.

3) Play and charge from 8pm-midnite then switch hugo2 and charger off when going to sleep.

4) Repeat steps 1-3 every day.

So in effect in every 24 hour period you have 4 hours charging, 4 hours playing and charging and 16 hours off. So here hugo2 is only charging or charging and playing while you are awake and present at home. While asleep or away from my flat the charger and hugo 2 are switched off. Hugo2 is only charging or charging and playing while i am at home and awake. Finally the number of hours of use as described above could vary due to holidays or weekends etc but always following the above rules. In effect emulating a large stationary amp/dac unit.

What does everyone think....would this work? Please no debates here i just want to know if this works in practice.:relaxed: With my mojo it does but hugo2 is a different beast and mojo has no desktop mode.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #20,499 of 22,475
I think you are over thinking this. I would not charge and play at the same time - you will get slightly longer battery life by playing and then charging with Hugo 2 off as battery temperature is lower. Your best bet is to listen, then charge overnight with Hugo 2 off.

Having said that, Hugo 2's batteries are very reliable, and you should expect a long life from them.

Nov 4, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #20,500 of 22,475
Many thanks Rob

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #20,501 of 22,475
Plus I just paid £50 for two new batteries, yes £50 is a lot of money for two 18650 cells with or without cell protection and wires/plugs but not when offset against the £1000+ price of Hugo 2.

£50 is worth the price for piece of mind IMHO.

Nov 4, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #20,502 of 22,475
Plus I just paid £50 for two new batteries, yes £50 is a lot of money for two 18650 cells with or without cell protection and wires/plugs but not when offset against the £1000+ price of Hugo 2.

£50 is worth the price for piece of mind IMHO.

That's great news. £50 is acceptable. ... (If you're in the UK, please could you tell me where from. (Although my batteries are pretty much still OK.))

The thought of £50 each and a total of £100, was scary.

I am pretty sure I remember Rob Watts once telling me that batteies would be about £50.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #20,503 of 22,475
That's great news. £50 is acceptable. ... (If you're in the UK, please could you tell me where from. (Although my batteries are pretty much still OK.))

The thought of £50 each and a total of £100, was scary.

I am pretty sure I remember Rob Watts once telling me that batteies would be about £50.
I got them from Audio Sanctuary in the UK, price was £56 with VAT and shipping. Runtime testing today, the old ones weren't that bad, I still got a good 4-5h runtime with when using Hugo 2 my 2Go I just wanted to restore full battery life

Here is a picture of old vs new:

20211104_182207.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #20,504 of 22,475
The black stuff on the old batteries is important as it’s a thermal pad like what mojo has and it’s used to transfer heat to Hugo 2’s case.

I would be very wary about playing and charging at the same time now, if you don’t have that black stuff left.

Nov 6, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #20,505 of 22,475
Just an update on the new batteries, everything is working well and I got at least 7 hours of playback on Friday using my DT1990 pro headphone I didn't even get a red light. This is great and I really didn't realise how poor the old batteries had got at only 4-5 hours usage before the red light appeared.

I've been testing one of the old cells and this is what I found:
1st discharge 787mah to 3.4V - It probably wasn't fully charged
1st charge 1263mah to 4.1V
2nd discharge 1025mah to 3.4V

So yes quite poor and nowhere near the rated 3350mah capacity, it was also noted that the voltage dropped off very quickly when discharged, possibly a sign of high IR. If this cell had been in a laptop pack it would have been discarded a while ago I suspect.

The loss in capacity had been very gradual, so its not really noticeable. I would recommend this fix for anyone getting < 4-5h use per charge and knows one end of a screwdriver from the other.

I didn't test the new cells before I installed them, I wish I had now but its not really worth opening it up again just to test the new batteries.

I'm not sure if Chord would replace the batteries for free if still in warranty, but I did contact Chord and was told that 5h use is within acceptable limits and they would not be replaced. My Hugo2 is probably out of battery warranty anyway as I purchased it in 2017.

Happy listening everyone.

20211106_152531.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back